Midge door.

geordy paul

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-best-screen-door-weve-ever-seen-on-a-camper-van/

Having just returned fro Scotland, I got to thinking about properly midge proofing our van.

While googling I came across the above screen.

So was just wondering has anybody else seen them or indeed fitted one?

Now, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not interested in your DIY home made screens

that cost you 50p.We have made one ourselves which works ok, but this Rolef screen just seems very well thought out and easy to fit solution to the midge problem.

I have sent them an email asking if they could make to fit the right hand drive vans for the uk market

and how much it would cost posted to the UK.

Trust me, living in the Highlands for over 13 years now, unless you are capable of hermetically sealing your van, you’re on a hiding to nothing. The midge can negotiate those little ventilation slots all around your mosquito roller blind on your windows. They will zoom through the grille above your kitchen vent, your toilet vent, and around the screen covering the main roof vent.

Once they home in on your Carbon Dioxide it’s curtains! In addition, if you need to open any door you’ll find them queuing up to join you.

We’ve before now driven to a lonely spot at night in order to start a longish walk early next morning, only to drive home again, defeated.

Always carry a can of fly killer. I don’t like using it but if it’s a choice between inhaling dodgy chemicals and being driven insane, give me the chemicals any day.

Don’t confuse your mosquito with your midge. They’re different beasts and the midge will fly through a mosquito net mesh without touching the sides!

What are the prices of these midge doors ? The Van Comfort site doesnt specify ? Agree that the magnet US one looks good too, if the price inc. Shipping is reasonable.

Had a reasonably midge free Highlands and Western Isles trip in May/June/ early July but even then my Missus was getting eaten alive.....midges bite me and die....or i dont taste very nice (Warfarin ?).

Would be interested in buying if the price was right.

Mossies obviously are a bigger dimension than ' wee beasties' , of course we could stop exhaling !

Whilst at Resipole nr Ardnamurchan they had 'Midge Eaters' running , puffing out jets of carbon dioxide ,then sucking the blighters in with a huge powerful vacuum cleaner, and stuffing them into large glass jars. Nice to see the tables turned on them.....even heard of folk making Burgers out of compressed midges for the BBQ !

Naa not for me thanks....i'll stick to black pudding.

Archived