Millau Bridge, France

Guest annie

Guest annie
Has anyone crossed this viaduct in a motorhome yet (6.5 metres A-class)? If so, can you tell me the current charges for such a vehicle. We have tried to find out but can't decide whether we are classed as a light vehicle or a lorry - quite a difference in the charge. Thanks. Annie

Don,t know how much for a Motorhome but it was free when I crossed it on my moped. But it wasn,t oficially open then. Have a look at a photo I took on ... http://en.structurae.de/photos/index.cfm?JS=12662 Ah! Now you will know!. Never mind. The picture shows things how they looked during the early stages of pushing the bridge out from the sides with massive hydraulic rams. The town of Millhau (old spelling) is interesting and a small Village some 3 miles away called Aguessac has a nice simple camp site. We use it regularly and the sites operators son loves Angel Delight. Its situated on the bank of the river Tarne just after the exit from the georges. The back road from Aguessac takes you into Millau if you want lots of night life and entertainment. Aguessac is our "chill out" stop for a week or so. Don,t tell anyone else otherwise they will all know.

Guest annie
Thanks so much for the reply and the information about Millhau and the camp site. It must have been fun crossing on a moped - you surely have a good head for heights. The picture is most interesting. Glad the gap was filled in when you crossed. Thanks again, Annie

Guest Derek Uzzell
Using www.autoroutes.fr, as far as I can make out the toll for the Millau Viaduct for a Class 2 vehicle (which is how the majority of French 2-axle motorhomes will be categorized) will be 7.30EUR. If your 'van is over 3500kg gross weight it should really fall into a higher (and more expensive category, but, apparently, most UK motorcaravanners with over 3.5t 2-axle vehicles seem to get away with Class 2.

Guest Brian
Annie We crossed it in March and the cost was Euro 7.30. We have a 4 tonne MPLM Hymer B544 but it looks the same as the standard B544 so we have always payed the lower toll on all motorways and bridges etc. The viaduct is a spectacular piece of engineering and they give you a postcard at the toll booth with details of the construction and a nice picture. Brian

Guest John
I crossed it a few weeks ago in my 8.5t Phoenix. Cost 17.50 Euros. It is easy to avoid the bridge and go through the town if you want to.

Guest Annie
Dear Derek, Brian and John, Thank you all for the info about the toll charges. I think we'll have to go over it for the experience. One passenger may have her eyes tightly shut but luckily it won't be the driver! Annie

Guest Clive
I guess that to avoid the town you will also go through Aguessac, (two restaurants and some traffic lights). Its the lights that help maintain the queue down into Milhau. The Milhau campsite entrance is off the main road about 100 yards after the lights going towards Milhau, just before the small fork to the left by the railway yard. This fork being the old road to Milhau. It goes over a narrow bridge with a 6 tonne limit - but I have seen a B I G American style (but French)articulated Peterbuilt rig cross it very gingerly! Then again as the French say "rules are for foreigners".

Archived