Mirror guards?

stvekay

I have now managed to knock the cover off my mirror twice now Rapido 9048 it hasn't damaged the actual mirror, and I think I can repair it.

I have looked on line at Millenco mirror guards but am not sure they would solve anything. They appear to stick on the existing cover, so all I would achieve is knocking both off. Apart from being more careful any Advice would be welcome.

I wish whoever cuts hedges would cut up to about 2.5 to 3 meters. The way its done now a 6m wide road is only 5m wide for higher vehicles!

Hi just had our offside mirror smashed to smithereens by a white van driver going like the clappers along a country lane. He didn't stop of course and we couldn't get his reg. The mirror was totally destroyed and has cost £295. to replace.

I put white Milenco mirror protectors on our last van and they did an excellent job. I'm sure other vehicles coming towards us gave a wider berth as they passed.

Easy to fit with a small secure screw on clip. I let them go with the van when we traded it in.

I knocked my mirror out, on a parked builders van, driving through Le Touquet, it was hanging by the wires! Did I stop? not a chance. Popped it back in and all ok.

Bought mirror guards, not to protect the mirrors, but to stop me bashing my head on them every time I walked past the van on my drive. Work a treat!

Milenco protectors should be considered ’semi cosmetic’, able to provide a level of impact protection similar to a bicycle helmet being worn when riding a motorbike.

A comparision between Milenco protectors and the “Mirror Guard” product

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/

will reveal the relative thinness of the Milenco protector’s plastic and its lack of cushioning. I’ve seen a Milenco protector that had split and it’s easy to see why.

Mirror Guard protectors are much more expensive than the Milencos, in the same way that a Mercedes is much more expensive than a Dacia. If visibility to other road users is considered to be the main issue, white Milenco protectors should be fine, but for maximum protection against impacts the Mirror Guards will be much better.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-05-18 8:22

A comparision between Milenco protectors and the “Mirror Guard” product

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/

will reveal the relative thinness of the Milenco protector’s plastic and its lack of cushioning. I’ve seen a Milenco protector that had split and it’s easy to see why.

Mirror Guard protectors are much more expensive than the Milencos, in the same way that a Mercedes is much more expensive than a Dacia. If visibility to other road users is considered to be the main issue, white Milenco protectors should be fine, but for maximum protection against impacts the Mirror Guards will be much better.

Except that in my personal experience Mirror Guards don't work that well. We had the original type, the ones shown in that video clip, and a relatively low speed collision wth a French MH in a built-up area resulted in a cracked guard and the lower mirror broken and popped out. The main mirror was fine, but I was unimpressed the guard itself fractured.

I was even less impressed by Mirror Guard's subsequent service - I ordered a replacement, and had weeks of promises and poor (ie no) communication. We needed the replacement before going away again, in the end I gave up, cancelled the order, and got protectors from VanComfort in Retford. (Good people to deal with, and I'm happy with the product.)

Despite clear communication to MirrorGuard by email and voicemail (they are not good at answering the phone in my experience) that the order was cancelled and any delivery would be refused, they still sent it. Delivery was refused, but it took a lot of hassle, advice from CAB and eventually getting the bank to recharge the cost.

You've been warned!

Solwaybuggier

As I said previously when you complained about Mirror Guard’s poor service

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Mirror-Guard-abysmal-customer-service-/39745/

my own experience of the Mirror Guard company was the opposite to yours.

I’m not familiar with the mirror protectors marketed by Van Comfort (I’ve dealt with that company in the past and have no complaints) but the shell of the latest Mirror Guard products now has a layer of ‘hard foam’ attached to its rear surface that should provide a lot more impact resistance than the originals.

I vaguely recall a forum posting some time ago where the originator seemed to believe that this type of product should be capable of coping with any level of impact including a direct nuclear strike. To use the motorbike analogy again, even the best, most expensive helmet cannot be expected to save a riider’s head from injury if he/she crashes head-first into a brick wall at 150mph.

I’m not aware of any independent testing of the level of protection provided by each mirror-protector product, so buyers will just have to make up their own minds based on on-line research, advertising, visual comparison, value for money, etc.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-05-18 9:34 AM

Solwaybuggier

As I said previously when you complained about Mirror Guard’s poor service

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Mirror-Guard-abysmal-customer-service-/39745/

my own experience of the Mirror Guard company was the opposite to yours.

I’m not familiar with the mirror protectors marketed by Van Comfort (I’ve dealt with that company in the past and have no complaints) but the shell of the latest Mirror Guard products now has a layer of ‘hard foam’ attached to its rear surface that should provide a lot more impact resistance than the originals.

I vaguely recall a forum posting some time ago where the originator seemed to believe that this type of product should be capable of coping with any level of impact including a direct nuclear strike. To use the motorbike analogy again, even the best, most expensive helmet cannot be expected to save a riider’s head from injury if he/she crashes head-first into a brick wall at 150mph.

I’m not aware of any independent testing of the level of protection provided by each mirror-protector product, so buyers will just have to make up their own minds based on on-line research, advertising, visual comparison, value for money, etc.

Obviously - which is why I stressed twice in the posting that this was my experience. I'm glad others have had positive experiences, but from comments on several forums can assure you there are are plenty other people who have experienced similarly abysmal customer service.to me.

I bought the original 'Mirror Guards' in the updated/uprated version, direct from the manufacturer, which was not far from us, so we were able to drive up to where he makes them.

It does seem to be a fairly small scale manufacturing and sales, but he provided excellent service and information.

I paid the advertised price, but I have noticed that several dealers add a further charge on top of that!

Fortunately have not tested them, but they certainly make these over -wide mirrors far more obvious.

The construction in the new format looks very strong, and I am confident they would absorb more of a knock then the mirrors as fitted.

Keith T - 2016-05-18 8:07 PM

...I paid the advertised price, but I have noticed that several dealers add a further charge on top of that!...

I’m not sure how many retailers sell ‘genuine’ Mirror Guard protectors, but the Mirror Guard company itself is currently charging £130 for on-line purchase (£100 + VAT, plus £10 delivery).

• 1 year later...

I have nothing but praise for Mirror Guards. They have been on my motorhome for the past seven years and have saved the mirrors on two separate occasions from serious damage. Most recent occasion was on a narrow metaled bridge in France where we met a Ducato coming towards us and there was a clashing of mirrors. His mirror finished up in pieces on the road whereas our mirror was just slammed against the body of the motorhome and survived to continue the journey. I believe there are copies of these guards out there but not the same quality as the Mirror Guard.

There are a number of alternatives to the “Mirror Guard” product

http://tinyurl.com/yb63jmph

Some of the alternatives are significantly less expensive, but are most unlikely to provide the high level of protection offered by Mirror Guards. A visual comparison between a ‘genuine’ Mirror Guard and its cheaper competitors should make this apparent and, when the asking-prices are similar, reveal the superiority of Mirror Guard’s construction and finish.

I’ve one reservation about my own Mirror Guards - see my comment on the Hints and Tips forum

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Mirror-Guard-Adhesive-Pads/47774/

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-15 7:26 AM

There are a number of alternatives to the “Mirror Guard” product

http://tinyurl.com/yb63jmph

Some of the alternatives are significantly less expensive, but are most unlikely to provide the high level of protection offered by Mirror Guards. A visual comparison between a ‘genuine’ Mirror Guard and its cheaper competitors should make this apparent and, when the asking-prices are similar, reveal the superiority of Mirror Guard’s construction and finish.

I’ve one reservation about my own Mirror Guards - see my comment on the Hints and Tips forum

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Mirror-Guard-Adhesive-Pads/47774/

I know people rave about Mirror Guards - our experience is very different.

Our last van had them, a clash with another MH in a built up area in France (we were sticking to the limit, the other van probably was too) broke the guard. I wouldn’t have expected the clash to have broken it.

Attempts to get a single replacement from MG proved frustrating - their customer service was appalling,with calls unanswered and we were made promises that weren’t kept. We were going away and told them not to deliver after we left. Surprise, surprise - they arrived several days later, but delivery was rejected. They still charged us, but we got refunded via chargeback from the bank. Worst company I’ve ever dealt with (and that’s saying something!)

We bought replacements from VanComfort in Retford - and they seem to me to work at least as well as the Mirror Guards. Not much cheaper though.

Rant over...

Archived