Mobile data usage when abroad

flyboyprowler

We are here in Spain, and I recently took out a new contract with Vodafone for 100gbts mobile data only usage. Previously we had 50gbts and used that without restriction, but today, although we have full WiFi connection, there is no internet connection and a call to Vodafone tells me that only 25gbts each month is available for internet use in Europe and we have used this up!

Does anyone else have this problem? I did confirm that we would have unlimited download access before agreeing to extending our original 50gb contract.

What does the contract you signed up to say? It’s probably available on-line when you sign in to your Vodafone account. We’re not with Vodafone, we use 3Mobile and have an unlimited data download limit whilst in the UK (1 terabyte each a month) but are restricted to 19GB a month whilst in Continental Europe so unless your contract specifically says something different your experience does not sound unusual.

Interesting. Most of the providers when the roaming rates were abolished still had a fair usage policy and restrictions on how much data you could use in mainland Europe but I believe Vodafone were one of the few that allowed you to use your full allowance. I know this as I had it in writing from them but that would be 2017/18. Things have maybe changed but its been the case for other providers all along I believe as has a 2 or 3 month limit for some.

It will be in the T&Cs somewhere or you could try asking on the Vodafone community forum.

Of course come Jan the 1st they are under no obligation to carry on with free roaming whatsoever.

My wife has a Vodafone contract (voice & data) set at 100gb. At the time, ie initial contract, the roaming data limit was specified as 25gb.

She recently got a text from them saying from a date in Jan 2021, usage out of UK will be limited to 62 days in any 4 month period. After that they issue a warning & will allow 14 days before (horrendous) data charges kick in. I know that others got a similar email - there was a thread, probably on MHFun.

The only saving grace is that any day when no data is used (eg if using exclusively free site wifi) doesn’t appear to count towards the 42 days. Tbh, with the 90 day rule, we reckoned we’d probably be able to work round it., although it’s a pain.

They also said this change to contract would allow us to cancel contract without penalty.

Solwaybuggier - 2020-12-29 8:39 AM

...She recently got a text from them saying from a date in Jan 2021, usage out of UK will be limited to 62 days in any 4 month period. After that they issue a warning & will allow 14 days before (horrendous) data charges kick in. I know that others got a similar email - there was a thread, probably on MHFun...

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/data-abroad-thats-it-sarted.231521/

Update, I have had the 25 gigs limit confirmed, but no exclamation as to why, when we had 50gigs, there was no limit, although they say there should have been! I asked to go back on the previous contract but they have refused, and on asking to cancel the contract as we feel it has been miss sold, after much to and froing, to cancel would cost £177 and my only option is to formally complain which I will do, but frankly I don’t hold out much hope.

So, Vodafone — pants, A lesson hard earned, and we will have to use our allowance and buy a buy a local sim if we need any extra. We will NOT renew next December.

Thanks for your replies and I wish you a peaceful new year.

flyboyprowler - 2020-12-29 7:47 PM

to cancel would cost £177 and my only option is to formally complain which I will do, but frankly I don’t hold out much hope. .

Not with Vodafone but I was in the same position a few months ago and seemed to be getting nowhere until I asked for a number that they are required to give you to use contacting the ombudsman. When I asked for that they allowed me to cancel without penalty. But be aware when I said Yes to them that I wanted to cancel it was turned off didn't even wait for me to say thanks

Vodafone uses Ombudsman Services: Communications. Its free service will independently review your complaint and make Vodafone sort it out

witzend - 2020-12-30 11:41 AM

flyboyprowler - 2020-12-29 7:47 PM

to cancel would cost £177 and my only option is to formally complain which I will do, but frankly I don’t hold out much hope. .

Not with Vodafone but I was in the same position a few months ago and seemed to be getting nowhere until I asked for a number that they are required to give you to use contacting the ombudsman. When I asked for that they allowed me to cancel without penalty. But be aware when I said Yes to them that I wanted to cancel it was turned off didn't even wait for me to say thanks

Vodafone uses Ombudsman Services: Communications. Its free service will independently review your complaint and make Vodafone sort it out

Yes I agree, but I will need to go through the formal complaint first, and then the Ombudsman. It’s just so frustrating to have to do this, they never make it easy!

Just arrived home from three minutes the in France where, after the first month, I had to cancel the (new). Contract we had with 3. Although an unlimited data card I only appeared to use about 8GB and it cut off. It took four web chats and a phone call over the following month to finally get it cancelled as although they said I must have used more it would renew on a certain date - it didn’t - and I resorted to buying an Orange card locally to carry on with internet. On the second web chat I advised them that I would be inserting the card just for 25 minutes each day to watch news then removing it from WiFi (replacing it with Orange card to use internet) and would call them again if I didn’t receive the 20GB they assured me was allowed under their ‘Fair Usage’ policy. The third webchat was after I only used the card for 8 x 25 minute sessions which would equate to probably less than 4GB. Again they simply argued that I was mistaken and must have used more. But, they offered a £10 rebate and said it would renew again on the specified date - it didn’t - and the final time I requested they terminate the contract without penalty. I had informed them previously that if these issues were not corrected and they wouldn’t cancel the contract I would go to the Ombudsman. Had to go through their ‘Complaints’ department who tried various ways to persuade me to stay but I reiterated that I was not happy that I was receiving all the data I should and that during these four webchats I received a different explanation and incorrect date for the data reset from everyone I spoke to.

In the end the persistence paid off and they offered to terminate the contract and waive the £173 charge they would have normally made to cancel early.

David

webby1 - 2020-12-31 10:17 AM

So far we have always got our 20gb allowance when in Europe.

Alongside campsite wi fi that has usually been enough.

But I am surprised you have used so much data after only 3 minutes in France :-> :->

Oops it’s either a huge TV or huge fingers tips on the phone!

David

When they speak of fair usage to comply you need to use your device more at home than when away. I had a O2 sim in my tracker the number I gave to some friends and family who occasionally called to get our location from the returned text. So no use while in the UK after 6 calls to it in France O2 turner it off and when I asked why they said my type of usage broke their fair usage policy

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-30 12:59 PM

webby1 - 2020-12-30 11:17 AM

I believe that 3 are the only company so far to state no changes to roaming policy from next year

Roll on that brave new world.........is there an Emoji for deep sarcasm?

There’s this...

Now that is certainly better than "Roger the rabbit" or is it "Harry the Hare"? cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update, I have just spent more than an hour on the Vodafone chat line and the outcome is that the contract has been cancelled as "mis sold" and I should be getting a refund back for the unused data for this month. That waits to be seen!

Thanks, as ever for all the input.

Ainsley

Just a tip if you need to contact Vodafone as I had to twice in the last week. The menu system is really restrictive now and nearly all options result in them just sending you a text message with a link which doesn't work. The only way to get to speak to a person is when they ask you what they can help you with just say "Leaving Vodafone". That works and you will get put through to a real person. Then just talk about whatever it is you really need to talk about. They are all working from home and I think its been tough.

• 2 weeks later...

I took out a 100gb contract with UK Vodafone in August and have been in Spain since, using up to but not above 100gb every month in a Huawei 4G device. I have not received an email nor been restricted so it appears hit and miss as to their targeting strategy.

Just realised OP said sim was a data only contract. Mine is a normal sim with unlimited calls and texts. I wonder if the T&C's are different and hence why some are getting the dreaded email and others aren't?

76zedfour - 2021-01-27 7:20 AM

I took out a 100gb contract with UK Vodafone in August and have been in Spain since, using up to but not above 100gb every month in a Huawei 4G device. I have not received an email nor been restricted so it appears hit and miss as to their targeting strategy.

Just realised OP said sim was a data only contract. Mine is a normal sim with unlimited calls and texts. I wonder if the T&C's are different and hence why some are getting the dreaded email and others aren't?

Vodafone made it very clear that legally only 25GB of data can be used abroad, and that under no circumstances could that be extended. If you are using 100GB every month then good luck and I hope it doesn't come back to bite you, although they should inform you that you are nearing or over your limit each month. There is a hefty price to pay for over usage.

Just limit data in your phone or at least set treshold alerts so you know exactly when your data will shut down.

To those who think: I only connected 8x20min... Minutes are completely irelevant. It's so easy to check how much data each app burns through that any conversation with tech support can start with: I used x GB in xy minutes which is waaaaaaaaay below your contractual limits of z GB (if it is).

Just spoken with Vodafone and they will allow my 60Gb to be used in the EU.

This was confirmed with an email.

On top of this they noticed a irregularity in my account!!

They hadn’t deducted the 25% discount I for some reason was eligible too.

So receiving £161.00 in credits.

So happy days.

Den - 2021-01-27 4:49 PM

Just spoken with Vodafone and they will allow my 60Gb to be used in the EU.

This was confirmed with an email.

On top of this they noticed a irregularity in my account!!

They hadn’t deducted the 25% discount I for some reason was eligible too.

So receiving £161.00 in credits.

So happy days.

Good for you Den, but when I spoke to them over Christmas, when my 25GB (of 100) ran out, and they cut me off, they were specific that only 25GB was useable.in the EU. I shouldn't rock the boat if I were you. For me, I am facing a battle to get a refund after I cancelled my contract on the 31st December, and I have still been charged. Hello Ombudsman!!

Archived