Mobile internet

Guest Charlie

Guest Charlie
There have been discussions on this forum before about internet access in Europe by various means.I've just found a site at www.teles-skydsl.com which gives coverage throughout Europe by satellite.Has anyone any knowledge/experience please? Before the usual comments are added about why bother each of us has different needs to communicate

A friend used a satelite system for several years and found it "unreliable", and it cost him £60 a month 'till BT got their act together and offered him broadband. He needed it for business and is in the Chairman of a major software company! He's offered me his old system and said he'd wish me luck if I was fool enough to take it! I've met a couple of folk - one guy with a Concorde with self-seeking roof mounted computer link and he was having some difficulty with it too. Other folk seem to believe systems have improved, but no significantly. The cost is very high and satelite acquisition suspect on the road without heap big dish! So caveat emptor; and for the money you could buy zillions of hours at an internet cafe, but there may be some reason that you've ruled this out! Certainly any phone based system is damnably expensive and not worth considering in my expereince. Sorry to be so pessimistic!

I use a phone based system which works but is very slow and £££ouch as already stated away from the UK. Some camp sites now have Wi Fi linking areas and these can be very usefull and much faster. Wi Fi USB bit for my Laptop just cost me $14.95 (In Houston at a big store called Fry's.) No, we did NOT take the RV!

If you have a wireless card try "WarDriving", which is the term used for driving around and picking up other people's wireless (WiFi) broadband networks. You will need a programme such as Netstumbler. If you have a wireless connection it is important to have a secure site so that a "wardriver" does not find & used your services! Try a Google search on wardriving for more details and products. Hope this is of help.

I am using Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G/GPRS in a Toshiba Tecra Laptop, this is allegedly worldwide. It costs £150 per 12 months, and approx £12 monthly. It works for me, but hasn’t been used abroad yet.

Archived