Motor Accidents in EU after Brexit

Cattwg

There has been a lot of chatter about the requirement or not for a Green Card when we Brexit. The issue will no doubt be resolved. But I’ve just taken this off the government site shown below and if my assumption is correct then it could present a really difficult situation. I’ve not been able find any further clarification.

“From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)”.

I’m assuming that Claims Representative refers to the UK insurance company who would normally act for their customers i.e. you and me.

The site goes on to say that action may be required through the courts, in the language of the EU country concerned

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit?fbclid=IwAR18wEU0foRw3L2s1t6Ug-HH4L-1usa0fMW4AnyFQbVq8Oc14JmrdxfQbFk#eu-drivers-visiting-or-living-in--uk-after-eu-exit

There is a lot of information on the site regarding driving in the EU should the UK leave the EU without a deal.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg

What SEEMS to be being advised is that the Fourth Motor Insurance Directive will no longer apply if the UK leaves the the EU on a ‘no deal’ basis.

The Fourth Directive and the term “Claims Representative” are explained here:

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claims-involving-an-accident-abroad/fourth-directive-explained/

Would have thought that it would be the same as prior to being in the EU, in that you obtain a Green Card to show you are insured and the company that provides the Green Card takes on the claim as your insurer. That's how it was and must be now for those people that drive in the EU area now, Australians, Americans etc., that are not part of the mob.

Bas

I understand that the the difference is that if you wished to make, for instance,a personal injury claim against the other drivers insurer then rather than engage a UK lawyer and let them get on with it in the UK, you would either have to engage a lawyer in the country where the accident occurred or alternatively engage a UK lawyer who could engage the non UK lawyer. The same would apply if you had a no fault accident, eg someone reversed into your stationary vehicle, and you decided to sue for the damage direct rather than claim on your own insurance and incur higher premiums/loss of no claims etc. So basically, more difficult and probably greater expense.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for that link.

If I’m understanding the definitions correctly then my assumption was basically correct. I.e. the insurance company (represented by their ‘claims representative’) will not be able to pursue UK claims for accidents occurring in the EU.

John :-D

It seems clear enough from the link you provided in your original posting what the implications of a Brexit ‘no deal’ might be regarding UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU/EEA country.

I can’t say this sort of thing concerns me as I can’t influence whether Brexit (assuming it happans at all) will be a ‘no deal’ exercise or something else.

It seems it might be wise for anyone intending to travel in the EU to contact their insurer and ask what impact this may have for their insurance should you need to claim while abroad. Insurance, after all, is a contract between you and your insurance company, so it is possible that different insurers may have different responses, depending on the Ts and Cs written into their policies. The insurers should be getting specific information via the Motor Insurer's Bureau, that will be more relevant to your insurance than the more generalised advice being given on the government website.

I’d be very surprised if insurance companies didn’t contact policyholders with European travel cover to explain any changes once it is clear whether we are leaving with or without a deal. So, I’m not going to worry about it in the meantime.

I renewed my MH policy and simultaneously asked for a Green Card for a tour to Europe starting mid March and the Green Card was issued (covering all EU Countries) without comment. I therefore assume that I am insured and that the insurance company would deal with any claim by one means or another. Likewise I assume that my breakdown cover provider will continue to provide European cover, same as in the past.

Fortunately I’ve never had an accident whilst abroad but I have used breakdown services a couple of times (for misfueling and a failed starter battery battery) and it worked quickly and well. Maybe I’m taking too much for granted but it seems to me so far that I will be adequately covered when I depart next month.

Stuart......why not give them a call just to check your policy t&c's remain unaltered irrespective of what the political outcome is. Whatever they tell you, ask for a copy in writing. The position this has put many people in, i wouldn't be assuming or taking anything for granted.

StuartO - 2019-02-11 8:19 AM

I renewed my MH policy and simultaneously asked for a Green Card for a tour to Europe starting mid March and the Green Card was issued (covering all EU Countries) without comment. I therefore assume that I am insured and that the insurance company would deal with any claim by one means or another. Likewise I assume that my breakdown cover provider will continue to provide European cover, same as in the past.

Fortunately I’ve never had an accident whilst abroad but I have used breakdown services a couple of times (for misfueling and a failed starter battery battery) and it worked quickly and well. Maybe I’m taking too much for granted but it seems to me so far that I will be adequately covered when I depart next month.

If my memory serves me , as i recall the only country that was a problem to travel in, PRIOR to us joinig the EU was Spain, who used to require a 'bail bond' assurance. Will pròbably go back to that arrangement ?Aside from the Green Card of course.

Will Caravans have to be seperately registered too ? Thought that was covered by the Vienna convention.?

Archived