Motor Cycle Trailer

Norma

Guest Norma
In this months copy of Camping Car there is a picture of a very interesting cycle trailer. It is for towing the bike side ways! Oddly enough I went to Indespension a couple of years ago to see if such a thing existed. Now my problem - the picture is for a promotion regarding inventions. Does anyone know of this trailer and have any contacts?

Hi Norma, Having just weighed the camper with 2 small motorbikes on the back I have just built a light weight trailer for them! I considered mounting the bikes sideways but in the end did not. Why? 1) I wanted to be able to run the bikes up a ramp, in a sideways arrangement the trailer wheels are in the way. 2) The track of the trailer would be as wide as the camper and wider than my car if I wanted to tow it with that. So I ended up with a convertional type trailer built out of aluminium and with a stowable ramp. Overall trailer length 2 metres. I used Indespension units and wheels giving a half tonne capacity and the trailer includes a spare wheel. No brakes required. Do you want my picture? Hope that helps.

Guest Mel B
I have seen one of these sideways trailers in the flesh at a show but I'm blowed if I can remember which one! I seem to remember they also sold more traditional trailers, racks and the like so a browse on the web might bring something up. If I remember who they were I'lll post it.

Guest Norma
Thanks for that, Tom and Mel. I don't have the where withall to build a trailor so I've tried e-mailing Camping Car - but in English, so they are probably trying to translate my query!

Perhaps the sideways trailor you are thinking about was one of those that pivots along the back of the towing vehicle and has a single small diameter castor rear wheel? These are seen mostly in France and have the advantage that they are no problem reversing. The disadvantage is that half the weight is taken by the towing vehicle. One of these (a home made unit because I asked) was seen at the recent Peterborough show carrying a disability scooter.

Guest Norma
No this one has two trailer wheels and onto towbar. Like a very short - the width of the bike - trailer. Most intriguing.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Sounds like an adapted dinghy-trailer to me. I love French motorhome magazines, especially the DIY and 'gadget' pieces. Good luck with your Camping-Carthe enquiry, Norma - I've found trying to obtain even basic information from French firms by e-mail (even when the communication is in French not English) pretty much a non-starter.

Guest Norma
Laurence. Thanks for that posting. Thats the wrong way -probably my description. The trailer is at right angles to that one. The bike is at the same angle as if hanging on the back of the van, but definately on a trailer, not on the van. It's what I had been reckoning is the way to go. Then you have no weight on the back of the van and a VERY short trailer.

Guest Lawrence Peacock
Norma Sorry, did you check out the whole web site at total as there is 2 bike trailers one normal and one with the bike as you wanted I think long waus as if you had it on a rack but a trailer cheers Lawrence

Guest Norma
Sorry Laurence - more haste, less speed. Yes that is what I was thinking of. At least I know I'm in the right track. Will now need to think about it for the future. Norma

Archived