Motor home in wales

keen canary

Hello all. We are considering a coastal tour of Wales in May starting in the South and roughly following the coast North finishing up in Chester for a few days. I was wondering if anyone out there had any favorite sites they have visited with their motor home in these areas. We were looking to leave the van on site as much as possible so would like to find sites with in an easy walk to villages or towns and shops and pubs. We have looked on line at the Camping and Caravaning club sites near to St Davids and the Bala site but feel we may be able to do better. Now we are in our 70s longer walks are no longer possible but we still enjoy 2/3 miles with the dogs at our pace. We would love to hear of any suggestions for sites you have enjoyed. We have an Eldiss Autoquest 115 now after having a campervan for around 7 years.

Regards to all

Keen Canary

The CMC has a good site in Brecon. You can walk into town along the canal although you will have to cross a busy road. Brecon has a small but beautiful cathedral. There are a couple of pubs within walking distance of the site. And when you get bored, there are some stunning drives just on your doorstop.

I live in Fishguard now, but stayed on local sites around St Davids for many years.

The Caravan Club has a good site within walking distance of St Davids, and not far from Whitesands beach,

Perhaps a mile from St Davids and half a mile to Whitesands...Both walkable. The pitches are all grass though, Another favorite is Carfai Bay holiday site, again walking distance from St Davids and a clifftop site with views over St Brides bay right on the Coast Path . This site has some hard standings....warning 3 days wont be long enough....if the weather is good.

The C&CC site is near Abereiddi a good 5miles east of St Davids, there is a coastal hopper bus, that passes by but how often i dont know.

When you get up to North Wales a simple site is Tan Y Bryn farm, Bryn Pydew near Llandudno.

Within 0.9 mile of the site can be found a Nature Reserve, two ancient woodlands with great walks and a walk through a site of scientific interest (rare orchids) to the 'Obilisk' which has breathtaking views. By the nearby Lttle Orme can be found Angel Bay where we have counted numerous Seals on the beach.

A walk to the outstanding Village Pub is about 4 miles return journey and you have all of the features around Llandudno like the Tram way up the Great Orme, sunsets from West Shore, Bronze age Copper mines, Sky Cable Car, etc.

See the 'Local Area' web page for more of whats available, both nearby and further afield : http://www.tanybrynfarm.com/

The site itself is simple with distant Sea views and has it's very own World War 2 crash site where Halifax M mother crashed on the 27th October 1944, now documented with it's own web page.

There’s a large campsite across the road from Newgale Beach in Pembrokeshire – about 110 miles from Cardiff. It’s grass only, has the usual facilities but no electric hook-up when we were there two years ago. There’s a pub “The Duke of Edinburgh” adjacent to the site. The beach is fantastic and right on the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path.

Half way up Newgale Hill, on the left, going towards St David’s is a basic site. Cold water, toilets, dumps, no hook-up or showers. But it’s just £4 per person per night and looks out over the bay.

If you’re thinking of using the Cardiff Council campsite you need to book well in advance, probably now. It’s set in parkland and is literally a 10-minute stroll from Cardiff centre.

There’s also Acorn Campsite on the edge of the village of Llantwit Major – about 20 miles west of Cardiff. The village is quite interesting to walk around. There are pubs, restaurants and a supermarket.

Tenby is a lovely small town and Kiln Parc Caravan Site, run by Haven is within walking distance. The site is mainly static caravans with associated entertainment areas, bars, chip shops etc. There’s a field for camping.

The Fishguard Bay site is an all singing all dancing site set above the picturesque town of Fishguard. The Coastal Path actually runs through it.

If you spend any time in Pembrokeshire it’s well worth talking to the Tourist Information places about the buses that serve the Coastal Path and the very small communities.

Cattwg :-D

Why not start your tour at Cardiff where there is an excellent site run by the local Council with a shortish walk to the City Centre through a nice park where you can also catch a water bus down to the Bay area where there are many bars and places to watch the World go by. Cardiff is a very compact city with excellent shopping facilties as well as many places to visit including the castle and the Principality Stadium (if you like rugby) also a short walk away. Then move west to places such as Pembrey and then up the West Wales coast to various sites and then onto North Wales and then across North Wales to Chester.

P.S. Sorry just noticed the earlier poster mentioned Cardiff.

Caerfai bay camping and caravan park in st Davids gets my vote. Every pitch has a view of the sea and great amenities. The Duke of Edinburgh site previously mentioned in newgale is a great location but despite being 20 metres from the sea you can't actually see the sea. Newgale has a mass of pebbles piled up along the length of the beach.

Hay on Wye is also worth a look. There is a very basic site called new court farm that's worth a look.

I'm from Cardiff and the city centre site is fantastic. Reminds me of a French camping municipal.

Interesting to read the comments about Newgale. That is one of the windiest places in the UK. I have worked close by and can't ever remember a day that wasn't freezing cold. I agree St Davids is a great location. The locals joke that if you can't see the nearby hill it's raining and if you can see it it's about to rain. But pleasant nevertheless and great in nice weather.

I would also recommend the Bosherton (lily) Ponds where you can park in the National Trust car park and take a pleasant walk as far as, and across, a nice deserted beach but that is not to everyone's taste. One of my favourite places is Freshwater East (the Caravan and Motorhome Club site if it's still there) from where you can drive to Barafundle Bay which is just about the most stunning beach I have ever visited anywhere in the World. I've been there with my family in the height of summer and we've been the only people around. Again you can park in the National Trust car park with about a 20 minute walk to the beach. There are many fabulous walks along the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park all with stunning views of the sea.

aandncaravan - 2019-01-30 12:30 PM

When you get up to North Wales a simple site is Tan Y Bryn farm, Bryn Pydew near Llandudno.

Within 0.9 mile of the site can be found a Nature Reserve, two ancient woodlands with great walks and a walk through a site of scientific interest (rare orchids) to the 'Obilisk' which has breathtaking views. By the nearby Lttle Orme can be found Angel Bay where we have counted numerous Seals on the beach.

A walk to the outstanding Village Pub is about 4 miles return journey and you have all of the features around Llandudno like the Tram way up the Great Orme, sunsets from West Shore, Bronze age Copper mines, Sky Cable Car, etc.

See the 'Local Area' web page for more of whats available, both nearby and further afield : http://www.tanybrynfarm.com/

The site itself is simple with distant Sea views and has it's very own World War 2 crash site where Halifax M mother crashed on the 27th October 1944, now documented with it's own web page.

I'll second that, it's really nice site, small, a bit basic, but very nice.

My only recommendation would be to possibly avoid Bron Y Wendon near Llandulas. We stayed for a few nights about 15 months ago and found it overpriced, poor facilities for the price, officious and unhelpful and a overall completely underwhelming. If your pitch is at the top of the site, you are within 30 metres of the motorway-like A55 North Wales Expressway.

On the positives, it is convenient as a stop over and as a base for touring North Wales and the sea view is nice. However, we thought £23.00 a night in November for a site that doesn't even have a shop or tourist info on site was rather steep.

An alternative to visit Llandudno is to stay at Manorafon Farm, just outside Abergele. It's a farm park with a variety of animals (you can feed the Alpacas) great if you have children to entertain but better still the bus to Llandudno passes every ten minutes so leave your motorhome on site. Llandudno is not motorhome friendly.

http://www.manorafon.co.uk/

Archived