Motorbike handlebar tie down straps

Vennwood

Can anyone recommend which handlebar tie down straps is suitable for motorbikea and in particular the Metropolis or even the MP3 as I assume they are similar?

The ones on sale on either Amazon or the Internet are either in two part and somehow don't look man enough. I'm not keen on ones that hook onto the trailer and would prefer enclosed carabiner type that are unlikely to come off. I ordered some rear tie down double loop straps from Amazon but will probably send them back as they look flimsy and weak. If I need to get two part i.e. Handlebar straps and then a ratchet strap then so be it but wanted to know what other

I use these to secure my trial bike. They are very robust. You can create a soft loop using the hook and strap to go round handlebars or frame. They hold good tension so you can pull the forks slightly down into the rack or trailer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-Motocross-mx-Tie-Downs-Straps-with-extra-loop-carabiner-clip-3-/265427550096?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I don't use handlebar straps at all. I had a couple of fork seals burst when I used them. I now put a loop strap around the lower fork just above the mudguard fitting point. There is therefore no pressure on the suspension but the bike is solid as a rock. Same on the rear to protect the rear.

I also made 2 wooden "rails" into which the tyres slot. Then, using a key slot type mechanism I made two wooden blocks that slot into the rails and touch the tyres like chocks. This stops fore and aft movement of the bike.

I also occasionally use yacht style "spring" warps to prevent fore and aft movement.

As our Madass travels in the under-bed rear garage with us I also have 2 old airbeds rolled and inflated in custom sewn "sacks" which are wedged between the bike and the rear wall and other items - thus giving additional protection at no weight. These can be pumped up or emptied to suit the load carried.

Jeremy

Vennwood - 2022-01-08 10:33 PM

Can anyone recommend which handlebar tie down straps is suitable for motorbikea and in particular the Metropolis or even the MP3 as I assume they are similar?..

My understanding (based on online comments) was that - for Piaggio MP3 3-wheelers - trailer 'tie downs' should NOT be attached to the scooter's handlebars. Although photos of MP3s on trailers indicate that this advice is regularly ignored (or overlooked) by owners, the (2018) image below of an MP3 on an Armitage transverse trailer shows the handlebars with no tie-down straps.

piaggio-mp3-with-armitage-trailer.jpg.c884cffccd7bf59cb38216d6b2c300a0.jpg

• 1 month later...
Well finally got my MP3 trailer home and modified it to suit the Metropolis. I've gone with Oxford handlebar tiedown straps as there isn't anywhere else suitable to use as the plastic fairing gets in the way. I have modified the front wheel location scoops to fit the Metropolis as I feel that is a better option than converting to the Armitage Mk 2 front rail that could allow the bike to move around when towing. I also added a centre plank to the ramp so that the rear wheel is lifted by around 4 inches so that the bottom of the bike clears the apex of the ramp. Finally as a belt and braces I have added a second jockey wheel to the rear as a safety measure so I can load and unload when not connected to the Motorhome.

Archived