Motorbike

Guest Maureen

Guest Maureen
I intend to buy a moped for my motorhome shortly it will probably be a honda 50 or 90cc. and I would like to know if my car licence will cover me to drive same ,also do you think a 50cc is strong enough to carry me and the boss!!!!

Maureen I assume you are talking about the C50 and C90 step-through scooters? If so, I think the C50 would be a bit overloaded (unless of course you're both built like pigmy racing snakes!). With the avent some years ago of "twist and go" scooters there is now a huge range of both new and second hand ones available. Something between 100cc and 250cc would fit the bill admirably however, I don't think your car licience would cover it. Regards Neal

Guest graham
A uk moped is restricted to 30 mph and is not suitable for 2 up use. I have been riding motorcycles since 1960 and I have neve4r been more scared than when on a moped. Most car drivers don't realise the restriction, think you are being awkward, and drive very close and as for turning right across a dual carriageway - scary. Neither a c50 or c90 are mopeds. A 100cc or 125cc would be most suitable. You probably can use your car licence as a provisional but I believe you have to validate it by passing the basic training test first. The licence situation keeps changing. Don't ask a dealer or the police look in yellow pages and ask your local motorcycle training school. They will be up to date. Good luck.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Maureen: As Graham says, driving-licence regulations don't remain static. If you visit the DVLA website (www.dvla.gov.uk) you can check what vehicle classes your driving-licence covers and the current rules regarding motorcycles/mopeds. Graham: Although a Honda C50 isn't technically a moped (no pedals) I think it may be as far as the DVLA is concerned (below-50cc capacity and 50kmh max speed) - or is it too fast?. But, as you say, the C90 certainly isn't.

Guest Clive
Honda C90 is fitted with a dual seat, it has 3 gears and will take two up mountains with ease. Honda C50 is fitted with a single seat. Hope that helps Try and Honda DAX (or Jincheng copy) Cost new is about £700 for the copy and they are OK.

Guest pete walker
you can ride up to 50cc on your car licence but over 125cc you have to take your certificate of basic training aprox £75.00, this if i rembber right is every two years until you take your test. pete

Guest brian
Unless your combined weight is less than 21 stone you'll need a bike or scooter above 125cc, because it'll be abit gutless on an incline especially if there's abit of headwind as well. I had a 5oo and recently bought a new 125 Suzuki Van Van, although it had 6 gears I very often was right down to 3rd.The reason was to put it on the back of M/home.I ended up trading both in for a 250 Honda and towing it on a small trailer, at 150kg it was a bit too heavy for the rear axle something you'll have too calculate from the formular in the MMM a couple of months ago.

Guest graham
Derek This is a bit late now but we have been away. A moped no longer needs pedals just has to be 50cc and limited to 30mph. This is one of the problems because many mopeds today look just like motorcycles or scooters, car drivers often don't realise the restriction and barge past. It is ironic that probably the most dangerous powered 2 wheeler is licensed to totally inexperienced riders. Try driving a car at 30mph on a dual carriageway and turning right at a roundabout to get a feel for it. When the c50 was in full scale production it lacked pedals and so wasn't a moped, I am not absolutely certain but I don't think they made a speed restricted version to comply with current legislation.

Guest Clive
I have looked in June this year at MBK 50 cc enduro style bikes sold in France to youngsters. Yes 6 gears, liquid cooled and they do nearly 50 MPH. I don,t think the speed limitation applies any more, just the CC. Well, that,s how the French seem to interpret it! But very light weight. I was tempted to get one , strip out the 50cc 2 stroke rubbish and fit a Honda 90 lump. But I didn,t as I have more devious plans and a full motorcycle license!

Archived