Motorhhome servicing

ColinM50

Bought our Eldiss March 2017 so to my mind it's coming up to it's first service. I've had the oil and filter changed Feb 18 an Feb 19 with oil and filter bought from a Peugeot dealer 'cos my local dealer can't fit it in their workshop and the little darling mechanics won't lie on the ground to work on it. So to my mind I've preserved the warranty by buying their bits and getting a local mechanic to do the work and sign the book saying so.

So, now coming up to my first proper service so phoned a Peugeot dealer who says he can fit it in his workshop. Went through the history and what I'd done (15k miles) and he says I should have had a proper service at two years (I'll check in the book later) but also says because I've been abroad in it and used that nasty Euro diesel and bunged up the filters with French air, I need to change the air filter, pollen filter and brake fluid. Never heard of that before. Quote was for 3-4 hours work and £420 plus parts and all pus VAT.

Any thoughts anybody?

This link is to an Honest John webpage relating to 2006-2019 Peugeot Boxers

https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/used-van-buying-guides/peugeot/boxer-2006-2019/

and the Maintenance section includes the following statement

The service intervals increased variously throughout the Boxer’s life, from 20,000 initially, to 24,000 miles and up to 30,000 miles or two years from 2014 onwards. For ultimate peace of mind, an oil and filter change is recommended every 12,000 miles.

If Peugeot’s within-warranty servicing advice for the Boxer is similar to Fiat’s for the Ducato, your ‘interim’ oil and oil-filter change in February 2018 should not have been mandatory (though that certainly does not mean it was not a sensible thing to do).

Otherwise, what the Peugeot agent has now told you is correct - in March 2019 (when your Boxer was two years old) a ‘full’ service should have been carried out in which the oil and brake-fluid should have been changed, and the oil, air, fuel and pollen filters should have been replaced.

(I don’t know what the Peugeot Boxer handbook says about scheduled servicing, but the information in the Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook is pretty clear.)

I’m pretty sure that the Peugeot warranty duration for a Boxer registered in in March 2017 would normally be 2 years, so (if that’s correct) the Peugeot warranty for Colin’s motorhome would have expired in March 2019.

The potential snag with failing to have a vehicle serviced STRICTLY to its manufacturer’s instructions is that, if subsequent problems occur after the warranty has expired, the manufacturer MAY be reluctant to offer any sort of goodwill financial assistance.

We have a late 2016 relay that I believe has the same Euro 6 motor. The 2 year service was just oil and filter change and pollen filter but not fuel filter and cost was equivalent to £300 in Sweden. Later this year the 4 year service is due and all filters should get replaced on this one is around £570. Next year however the timing belt and water pump replacement is due and cost for this alone is around £700 : (

Wortho - 2020-01-08 1:22 PM

We have a late 2016 relay that I believe has the same Euro 6 motor. The 2 year service was just oil and filter change and pollen filter but not fuel filter and cost was equivalent to £300 in Sweden. Later this year the 4 year service is due and all filters should get replaced on this one is around £570. Next year however the timing belt and water pump replacement is due and cost for this alone is around £700 : (

The timing belt and coolant pump aren't due for replacement until 10 years or 150,000km. on the 2.0L BlueHDi Euro6 DW10FUC motor in the Boxer/Relay. That's the case in the UK at least, perhaps the requirements are different for the Swedish market though. See attached service schedule.

Peugeot warranty on UK Boxer motorhome base vehicles is 3 years, Derek.

1772536938_BoxerEuro6serviceschedule.thumb.jpg.b046f4fc788ea90eed75ce2fb5998207.jpg

Steve928 - 2020-01-09 12:55 AM

The timing belt and coolant pump aren't due for replacement until 10 years or 150,000km. on the 2.0L BlueHDi Euro6 DW10FUC motor in the Boxer/Relay. That's the case in the UK at least, perhaps the requirements are different for the Swedish market though. See attached service schedule.

Peugeot warranty on UK Boxer motorhome base vehicles is 3 years, Derek.

That's interesting, mine is the 2.0L bluehdi Euro 6 DW10FUD motor that was purchased in Germany. The service schedule says timing belt and water pump is due for replacement at 150,000km or 5 years. I wonder why such a difference between the 'C' and 'D' variants of this motor unless it's because ours is a Citroen. *-)

I had a look on the Gates website and the same timing belt and kit is specified for both the DW10FUC and DW10FUD motors (belt 5672XS) the DW10FUC is 160hp and the DW10FUD is 130hp but can't understand why one has a 5 year change interval and the other is 10 years when considering it's the same timing belt and kit (?)

Whilst researching running costs I asked my local Fiat car dealership, who also service vans / Motorhomes, how much they charge for services on a 2018 Ducato 2.3L (180PS) 6 Speed manual (Sunlight Cliff 601).....

Annual Service £180

2 year service £380

MOT £50

Didn’t like to get into the 2 year / 30,000 mile debate with him. ;-)

When enquiring about (and comparing) servicing charges, it needs to ascertained what tasks will be carried out and (certainly for Fiat Ducatos within their warranty period) exactly which products will be used.

For example, a recent Ducato’s sump holds over 5.5 litres of oil and - if the Fiat-recommended SELENIA oil is used - the cost of an oil change should be expected to include at least £60 for the oil alone. Then there will be the cost of an oil filter that - if a Fiat Professional does the service - will normally be charged at the Fiat parts-list price. And an ‘annual service’ will be much more than a basic oil/oil-filter change...

A Ducato fuel-filter might be single-use type or have a replaceable internal cartridge, and the former will cost more than the latter, though replacing the former should be simpler and quicker.

There should be little confusion over what Fiat Ducato scheduled servicing entails, nor over when mandatory sevicing should be performed, as the information is in the Ducato Owner Handbook.

Sapper, if your Fiat dealer is offering to do your service, check that it will actually fit in their workshop and on their ramps. My local Peugeot dealer keeps texting me offering to do service and MoT and when I tried to book it in they turn it down 'cos it won't fit on their ramps (too high) and the precious little mechanics aren't allowed under H7S to lay on the floor, bless 'em.

They sent me a SMS just before Xmas and I double checked with them last week and they won't book it in so I asked where I could take it. They recommended a local independent garage that has a high workshop and big ramp and said that as long as the garage state on their invoice that only Peugeot original parts and oil was used, that would preserve the warranty, but that MUST write and sign that on the invoice. Peugeot and Fiat are both the same builder (Sevel in Italy) so maybe check this with your Fiat dealer if you want/need to go elsewhere?

I'm 100% sure that the days of car manufacturers insisting that only their dealers can offer servicing under warranty are long gone and as long as you stick to OEM parts you're OK

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't purchased the vehicle yet, I'm getting as much information together as I can first. Before booking any service I will be asking what I get for my money.

The Fiat dealership definitely services Motorhomes/vans etc.

:-D

Hi,

I have been to Hymer at Stafford today and while there I asked how much it would cost to service vehicle and habitation for my 2004 Fiat trigano and had a bit of a shock they said for both it was around £900 good god I could buy another van for that LoL.

How many people would go for that????

Not many I assume. My Hymer is just over 4 years old. My Hymer dealer who are also a Fiat professional franchise did a full service, hab check, damp test to maintain warranty and a couple of minor bits of work for £420. This was just last week.

That’s Donaghey’s of Letterkenny in Donegal Ireland. You could come over, have your van fully serviced etc and have a touring holiday on part of the ‘wild Atlantic way’ return home and still have some Money left over!

Davy

I have a March 2017 196 and I called 5 if not 6 Peugeot garages as they can't fit a 196 in especially if there are vehicles on ramps that can't be moved as no engine etc.

My service at 2.5 years was around £600. As the MH had spent a lot of time sur le continent with 10K miles and having had a couple of oil and filter changes. It was new to me so I had an oil change,brake fluid change,drained and flushed the rad,fuel filter. cab filter(very dusty) and a software upgrade and they cleaned it very well in and out.

MOT due March 1st so just going down this Saturday to see if the MH will fit in before I book it in next month?

Archived