Motorhome Depot

Bulletguy

Looking around for another van primarily using AutoTrader and ebay and i'm staggered at the amount of vans being sold through Motorhome Depot who i assume act as a brokerage taking a percent cut from your final sale price. Are they cornering the used mh market because folk cant be bothered to sell themselves and prepared to take a hit?

The private sale market is fast disappearing which for me, seems a shame. Example, on AutoTrader i search a set parameter which gives me 160 vans nationwide.....just 13 of which are private sales. It's not just happening with mh's either, i recently bought a car and after much searching ended up buying from a trader as i couldn't get what i wanted private. It's not that long back it was pretty much the reverse!

Most of the MH dealers here in AU like to take vehicles on consignment usually asking the owner to part with 10% of the sell price for the pleasure of doing business with you. Seems not all that different to  your method. Cheers,

They can give a warranty and drive away insurance, which I think helps buyers to feel safer that buying straight from e=bay, auto trader etc.And selling with them saves the seller sorting out the time wasters !Taking photos, and advertising.

We sold with them no hassle and got a good return

PJay

PJay - 2018-12-04 12:14 PM

They can give a warranty and drive away insurance, which I think helps buyers to feel safer that buying straight from e=bay, auto trader etc.And selling with them saves the seller sorting out the time wasters !Taking photos, and advertising.

Thats true Pauline. During searching out a car i came across "drive away insurance" a few times (think it covered two or three days), though the biggest bug when buying used now are the recent changes to VED making it non-transferable so the buyer has to get it taxed in their name before they can drive off.

In my case when i bought this car, the trader i bought from met me at the train station (out in the wilds of Lancashire....very nice place), and drove me the few hundred yards to the village PO. I'd already sorted insurance so it was job done!!

What percent do MD take and do they fund the advertising or what?

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen

I believe that selling most things privately has got more complicated in recent years especially motor vehicles. Local newspapers have almost no adverts for vehicles and webuyanycar, van motorcycle type of business has all had an effect

i bought a van from them that they had taken in px that they were putting into the auction at derby, drove upto the auction site and inspected the van and had a deal and the van was pulled from the auction and i came away with it using the 7 day free insurance . On inspecting the mass of paper work that came with the van i could not find a reciept for the advertised cam belt change so i phoned them up and they offered to give a full refund and collect from my house (essex) or refund me £400 so i took the £400 and had the cam belt replaced locally ..Bit of a long winded story but i found them excellent but remember that all the reps are self employed so you could get a less helpful rep

goldi - 2018-12-04 1:59 PM

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen

I believe that selling most things privately has got more complicated in recent years especially motor vehicles. Local newspapers have almost no adverts for vehicles and webuyanycar, van motorcycle type of business has all had an effect

Yes it's very odd imo. AutoTrader built it's empire off the back of private sellers and i remember when i used to buy a copy just to thumb through the 'classics' section! Now the online site is rammed with dealer ads.

pagey - 2018-12-04 2:32 PM

i bought a van from them that they had taken in px that they were putting into the auction at derby, drove upto the auction site and inspected the van and had a deal and the van was pulled from the auction and i came away with it using the 7 day free insurance . On inspecting the mass of paper work that came with the van i could not find a reciept for the advertised cam belt change so i phoned them up and they offered to give a full refund and collect from my house (essex) or refund me £400 so i took the £400 and had the cam belt replaced locally ..Bit of a long winded story but i found them excellent but remember that all the reps are self employed so you could get a less helpful rep

Good to hear that.....especially that you got previous history as it's often the first thing chucked away which i always find frustrating. My current van came with zero history but having owned it eight years now, built up a fair bit of documented history filing receipts for everything i've spent on it.

Bulletguy - 2018-12-04 12:56 PM

Thats true Pauline. During searching out a car i came across "drive away insurance" a few times (think it covered two or three days), though the biggest bug when buying used now are the recent changes to VED making it non-transferable so the buyer has to get it taxed in their name before they can drive off.

In my case when i bought this car, the trader i bought from met me at the train station (out in the wilds of Lancashire....very nice place), and drove me the few hundred yards to the village PO. I'd already sorted insurance so it was job done!!

They don't take a percentage they add their fee on top.

I was given a set price that I would receive.

Which I was happy with. They pay the cost of advertising, and showing the van , and dealing with buyers, AND you get the money in your bank, before the van is taken by the buyer. I believe they gave the buyer a discount, but I got the agreed price, so no complaints from us.

PJay

I sold my last camper through MD,and dealt with Martin Williams.I was well pleased with Martin and MD,and would not hesitate to use them again.Very professional,and I got what I wanted.No worries with dodgy buyers!

Randonneur - 2018-12-04 4:59 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-12-04 12:56 PM

They don't take a percentage they add their fee on top.

So whether selling a £10k or £50k mh....they make the same flat rate fee?

PJay - 2018-12-04 6:30 PM

I was given a set price that I would receive.

Which I was happy with. They pay the cost of advertising, and showing the van , and dealing with buyers, AND you get the money in your bank, before the van is taken by the buyer. I believe they gave the buyer a discount, but I got the agreed price, so no complaints from us.

How does the 'showing' bit work then as many i see appear to be parked up on the owners driveways? Sounds a bit like what an Estate agent is supposed to do but in reality rarely does (unless in the mansion bracket), and leaves it to the seller to show any potential buyer around.

As for cash in bank, every vehicle i've bought has been cash at point of sale before V5 is filled in and keys handed over. I wouldn't expect to operate any differently....buying or selling.

If you take a Dealer Trade in, They will mark it up 3 or more Plus Thou, So you might get a few months cover or more whitch is added in the price, So its your choice to pay more or shop around for the same van less the Dealer mark up and take a chance, will It be fine after twelve months depends on how much you save, to cover repairs if it does go wrong, or Buy a dicounted rental van with 30 or 40 thou on the clock and save around £10 thou, But its best if you can do DIY so you can put right the small bits that might need doing, you still need to look over and see that its been serviced well, Pads at 40 thou or less on the front, Tyres again could need replacing If near the limite, Its your choice at the end of the day spend or save, This is not for the big spenders of coarse just for us menys

Bulletguy - 2018-12-04 1:39 AM

Looking around for another van primarily using AutoTrader and ebay and i'm staggered at the amount of vans being sold through Motorhome Depot who i assume act as a brokerage taking a percent cut from your final sale price. Are they cornering the used mh market because folk cant be bothered to sell themselves and prepared to take a hit?

The private sale market is fast disappearing which for me, seems a shame. Example, on AutoTrader i search a set parameter which gives me 160 vans nationwide.....just 13 of which are private sales. It's not just happening with mh's either, i recently bought a car and after much searching ended up buying from a trader as i couldn't get what i wanted private. It's not that long back it was pretty much the reverse!

Not just the USED market as far as I can see Mr. B as our local Motorhome Depot has several spanking MH's in stock and I have seen various different makes brand new available from different MH Depots around the country.

I thought they were simply buying up surplus/unsold stock for selling on.

I am from NI and recently travelled to Hereford to purchase a new Hyundai Tucson after giving up trying to talk to dealers here that were simply not interested. So a spanking car with 4 miles on the clock for £500 less than a 8 month old car with 3,000 miles on the clock,,,,,Hmmmm let me think :-D

But you are most certainly right if you place a 'private seller' filter on there are precious few cars/MH's available.

I'm wary of brokers as in my experience they take a big cut (when selling) so it seems inevitable that the prices they are selling at will be inflated. I've found Ebay good for selling but not great for buying. I've tried looking on Autotrader but gave up as its virtually impossible to narrow searches down to specifics. I have always bought in Germany anyway so https://www.mobile.de/ is where I look. Ok, you have the hassle of importing (which I'm in the process of doing at atm) but the choice is huge and you can narrow down searches. For example try searching for a panel van conversion, under 6 metres, with diesel heating, bike rack, an awning, satnav, and automatic transmission. You just cant get that detail from the databases Ebay or Autotrader use.

Archived