Motorhome GSM and GPS tracker recommendations?

robdav

I bought a very cheap (£24) tracker from ebay and found it very good . With a giffgaff pay as you go sim card it will show where it is, what speed and an image on google earth. It also had the facility to listen to conversation in the cab ans even cut the fuel pump if I fancied wiring that facilty in!

The two primary disadvantages with a Tracker as far as I am concerned is the power they draw from the batteries, sometimes running one down in less than 3 weeks, and the fact there is no guarantee that anyone will find the vehicle when it's stolen.

The system that most impressed was one we saw on a Hymer that used this system : https://www.cantrack.com/

It is self powered (doesn't connect into the Motorhome electrical wiring at all) and the owners had the vehicle stolen and were part of the operation that recovered it.

They were very impressed with the slickness of the way the company performed, very, very quick recovery.

When I asked the cost I was expecting it to be expensive. It was neither expensive to buy or run.

Way less than figures i have heard from others.

Apparently the unit stays powered for 2 years

Can track looks brilliant do you know if it carries any security approval rating, that is recognised by insurance companies. I could not see on the website.

There was talk of some companies refusing to insure Transits without a tracker.

I think you will find that Insurance companies will only recognise either Thatcham Category 5 or 6 tracker devices. These have to be professionally installed and you have to pay a yearly subscription to have them monitored.

Thatcham Category 5 are more expensive than Cat 6 as they are supposed to have a level 1 police response and the vehicle can be disabled remotely.

robdav - 2018-07-19 6:12 PM

Can anyone recommend a decent tracker for a motorhome/vehicle. One that can be tracked by both GPS and mobile SIM card is what I'm after.

When I upgraded my iPhone I used the old one as a tracker in the van.

Hidden away under the seats and with the charging lead connected to a small timer which charges for one hour a day.

Using a Three 1-2-3 PAYG SIM card with £5.00 credit on it, lasted 3 years before needing topping up again.

The 'Find my iPhone' app on my other devices shows spot-on location of the van at all times.

Cheap, cheerful and very useful means of tracking the van.

Worked for me!!

V.

Ventura - 2018-07-21 9:20 AM

When I upgraded my iPhone I used the old one as a tracker in the van.

Hidden away under the seats and with the charging lead connected to a small timer which charges for one hour a day.

Thats a great idea I leave a spare phone in van never thought of the timer just had a look did you find a UK source for the timer ?

Archived