Motorhome Insurance

Hi

my Insurance last year was over £500+ for our first motorhome As although we have 10 years NCD on cars we had to start from scratch again!

Any way it will want renewing next month any ideas please as I retire at christmas and want to start travelling alot next year. Can you get unlimited milage ? or is this a daft question?

I think I may of got charged a little over the top last year?

Any one got any suggestions please were to go for a good deal our outfit is a Burstner Nexxo t690g Soverign 2015.

Cheers John

I would try Comfort. They don’t do NCD but it’s relatively cheap from the outset. You can negotiate the miles you travel. If you plan on full timing it’s limited and you must have a permanent address in U.K. bear in mind that Schengen will limit you to 90 days in 180 in the Schengen Area once brexit is confirmed. You are also likely to need an International Driving Permit (or 3) as well as a green card. That’s going to limit your time in the sun. If your plan is only UK and Ireland you might still have limits on both your van and house insurance. Our home insurance limits us to 60 days empty for example.

Am just on the point of renewing mine for the next 12 months, and was astounded that Safeguard want an increase of 30% - they claim Insurance tax increase and industry increases! Last year was £322, this years £472!!

Nothing has changed regards the vehicle, policy contents or the driver! Shopping around today I can save at least £100 using CaravanGuard, Comfort Insurance show very little saving, around £40, and Adrian Flux seem to show £150, but communication with them seemed somewhat difficulty...,and the promised mail showing policy has not arrived!

Anyone with experience of the latter, or other thoughts?

I have always used Comfort for insurance and recovery. Just renewed at £286. Only gone up £10 in last 2 years. I have not had to make a claim yet so can’t vouch for their performance but they have won numerous awards for best insurer. One reason I like them is that they don’t try to ramp up the premium every year forcing me to go through the usual negotiation carry on.

I am with Comfort and I found that the annual milage limit made quite a difference to the premium. I reduced the milage from 10,000 miles to 8,000 per year and the premium dropped by nearly £50.

If you look at other insurers and are looking at an A class, check the level of windscreen cover. Many are quite low and go nowhere near the cost of a windscreen. I think Comfort now give unlimited windscreen cover.

plwsm2000 - 2019-05-07 9:37 PM

I am with Comfort and I found that the annual milage limit made quite a difference to the premium. I reduced the milage from 10,000 miles to 8,000 per year and the premium dropped by nearly £50.

Having a named 2nd driver also reduces the premium which i don't entirely agree with as it's penalising single or divorced people. This applies with all vehicle insurance. You can stick anyone on as long as they have a driving licence, even if they never drive your vehicle which is a bit bonkers.

If you look at other insurers and are looking at an A class, check the level of windscreen cover. Many are quite low and go nowhere near the cost of a windscreen. I think Comfort now give unlimited windscreen cover.

Once when I was renewing insurance on my wife's car I asked how much I would save by reducing the mileage and was told the premium would increase. It seems that company found that below a certain mileage their risk increased.

Bulletguy - 2019-05-07 11:28 PM

Having a named 2nd driver also reduces the premium which i don't entirely agree with as it's penalising single or divorced people. This applies with all vehicle insurance. You can stick anyone on as long as they have a driving licence, even if they never drive your vehicle which is a bit bonkers.

Comforts’s (2012) advice on having additional drivers on a motorhome insurance policy is here

https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/blog/additional-drivers

My understanding (right or wrong) is that, if the main policy-holder is not in a position to drive the vehicle (say he/she is badly ill) and a ’named driver’ is present, it will be expected that the named driver will be able to drive the vehicle. (Say back to the UK if the vehicle is abroad at the time.)

I’m a named driver on my wife’s car insurance policy and I regularly drive her car. My wife is not a named driver on my motorhome policy as a) she has never driven a vehicle larger than a family car, b) she has never driven outside the UK where the Rapido goes most of the time and c) our motorhome is left-hand drive. So, while I recognise that it would be useful if my wife could hop into the Rapido’s driving-seat and safely drive the motorhome if I’m struck down abroad or kidnapped by aliens, realistically she won’t be able to.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-08 10:06 AM

My understanding (right or wrong) is that, if the main policy-holder is not in a position to drive the vehicle (say he/she is badly ill) and a ’named driver’ is present, it will be expected that the named driver will be able to drive the vehicle. (Say back to the UK if the vehicle is abroad at the time.)

I’m a named driver on my wife’s car insurance policy and I regularly drive her car. My wife is not a named driver on my motorhome policy as a) she has never driven a vehicle larger than a family car, b) she has never driven outside the UK where the Rapido goes most of the time and c) our motorhome is left-hand drive. So, while I recognise that it would be useful if my wife could hop into the Rapido’s driving-seat and safely drive the motorhome if I’m struck down abroad or kidnapped by aliens, realistically she won’t be able to.

Totally agree Derek!

Whilst my wife still has a C1 license and drove school minibuses when she was working she now has no desire to drive our MH.

I took the conscious decision to take her off the policy several years ago as she made it quite clear she did not want to be forced to drive the MH if I where unable to for whatever reason.

The big downside was that my premium actually INCREASED by around 25% as the risk to the insurer was now greater than before, ie they may have to provide a driver if I could not drive.

I note Comfort say adding drivers will increase the premium but the opposite was not the case for me when removing my wife from the policy!

Keith.

PS And watch out for so called 'Net' policies not accruing NCD. When (if) you return to an NCD style policy you may have lost all your NCD from older policies and have to start again.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-08 10:06 AM

That is also my understanding Derek. Like you, my wife and I are both named drivers on each other's car policies, but I am the only driver on the MH policy for the same reasons.

I stayed with Safegaurd this year as they were the only company who would bring the MH back from abroad if i was unable to drive. It seems a few insurers are cutting this requirement out , ie the CCC used to do this but when i asked they said i must arrange this myself.

Mickt - 2019-05-08 11:06 AM

I stayed with Safegaurd this year as they were the only company who would bring the MH back from abroad if i was unable to drive. It seems a few insurers are cutting this requirement out , ie the CCC used to do this but when i asked they said i must arrange this myself.

Comfort still cover this, with the condition that they require a medical certificate confirming that the PH/named driver is unable to drive.

I also have a multi-vehicle RAC breakdown policy under my ex-employer's group insurance scheme, which provides a replacement driver in similar circumstances.

I don’t have recovery on my motor home insurance policy. Instead, I have a Nationwide Flexi Plus account costing £13 monthly that gives me recovery, mobile phone insurance & world wide travel insurance as well as commission free cash withdrawal abroad. That might help keep my insurance for the van relatively low.

Dickybeau - 2019-05-08 12:48 PM

I don’t have recovery on my motor home insurance policy. Instead, I have a Nationwide Flexi Plus account costing £13 monthly that gives me recovery, mobile phone insurance & world wide travel insurance as well as commission free cash withdrawal abroad. That might help keep my insurance for the van relatively low.

Recovery/repatriation of the vehicle due to driver disability or illness isn't actually a vehicle breakdown, and Comfort cover it within the main policy, not the optional breakdown and recovery insurance, so it included in the basic premium at no additional cost.

I was surprised that it was also included in my RAC cover, which is after all specifically a form of breakdown insurance. However, the RAC cover is only applicable in mainland Europe, excluding the UK, whereas the clause within the Comfort policy applies anywhere within the territorial limits, which also includes the UK.

Having shopped around after the 30% increase Safeguard wanted over last years premium, I have gone with CaravanGuard and with all discounts etc have ended up at the same price as Safeguard charged me last year, but with an even better policy.,..overall a net saving of £150......and excellent service from Caravanguard...

Dickybeau - 2019-05-07 1:06 PM

I would try Comfort. They don’t do NCD but it’s relatively cheap from the outset. You can negotiate the miles you travel. If you plan on full timing it’s limited and you must have a permanent address in U.K. bear in mind that Schengen will limit you to 90 days in 180 in the Schengen Area once brexit is confirmed. You are also likely to need an International Driving Permit (or 3) as well as a green card. That’s going to limit your time in the sun. If your plan is only UK and Ireland you might still have limits on both your van and house insurance. Our home insurance limits us to 60 days empty for example.

Yes agree about Comfort, been with them 6 years, always shop around at renewal, can get cheaper but the quality of the Insurance is what counts, they offer breakdown Insurance too which is excellent used it in Portugal when I needed a new clutch on an Hymer, put us up in an Hotel for 4 nights no problem , they cover gas bottles and awnings etc, I have 10,000 miles PA on my van and 365 days foreign cover too £400 this year , this month.Legal cover and breakdown included.

They state you must be on the electoral role at your address and may want utility bills in your name at the address you claim to live in the event of a claim, they also offer full time Insurance cover should any one want it, I bashed the back end of my Hymer one year and needed a complete rear bumper and light cluster replaced no problem but an assessor came to my home address to access the damage, checking on my address I suspected £1300 it cost them,

I Insure my home with the Camping and Caravan club 180 days unoccupied cover included with no silly conditions attached

I would not worry about Brexit if I were you . plenty of time for that if it ever happens fingers crossed it does , no deal for me and OUT.

Archived