Motorhome Recovery/Breakdown cover

Guest Nick

I am thinking of purchasing a Compass Castaway RG which is built on a 2.8ltr HDi Turbo Diesel Boxer chassis. It is my understanding that the vehicle upon which the motorhome is built by Compass/Explorer is supplied to them by Peugeot and that the vehicle has the benefit of breakdown/recovery cover through the AA or the RAC. The vehicle is over 24ft (7350mm to be precise) long and one of our friends thinks that there may be a problem with AA or RAC recovering the Motorhome as it is over 24 feet long i.e. they will not recover it!? Has anyone heard or had this problem? I have asked Compass for help but they say they do not have the information on this product that I seek as it is a product supplied by Peugeot and suggest that I should contact Peugeot. This I have done but have received no reply as of yet.

Thanks for the advice. This matter seems to be somewhat controversial. As Explorer/Compass refer me to Peugeot and I have received no reply from them it is unlikly that my 24ft pluss motorhome is not covered by the AA or RAC scheme provided by Peugeot. That being the case it would seem best that I seek alternative cover. The Caravan Club offer Mayday through Green Flag and their add in this months Magazine tells me that there is no size or weight restrictions even on motor caravans the fee being £62.00 for comprehensive cover. Looks like a good bet unless some one knows otherewise!

Hi Yes I think you are right, we have Mayday, which 2 years ago was our only option for our 23''van. Our premium however is £113. I was annoyed at the time because i had been in the AA for 15 years, but they would not cover our 'van - RAC also. Nigel

Hi Nick. I have answered this question once before regarding AA recovery. We were with the AA for 4 years unaware to us they would not have recovered us had we needed them, due to our van at the time being 21ft long. Didnt find this out untill friends broke down at Shepton Mallet show, they were told as their van was over 18 ft they could not be recovered they were lucky to also be with RAC who recovered them. I phoned the AA when we returned home and they told me exactly the same anything over 18 ft they dont recover. Unless they have now changed their policy i dont know but worth a phone call, we are now with the RAC who have no length restriction, our van now is just over 24 ft long explained the situation with AA to the RAC and theres no problem. Just had our renewel through but it may not be of any use to you as for price, as it covers the family we have three cars and the motorhome also european cover costing £206.00 We were asked if we were members of a club (caravan club)and we were given a discount for this. Hope this comes of some help. Ceri.

If you are a memberof the Caravan & Camping Club you can cover through RAC Arrival. Not sure of comparative cost with Green Flag though. Our 3,850, 7 metre van is covered - though (touch wood) we have had no need to put it to test.

Guest David Powell
Caravan Club MayDay being Greenflag is the cheapest mainly because they do not own nor have to run and maintain a fleet of patrol vehicles. They have contracts with garages and breakdown companies all over the UK. so no matter what your recovery requirements, somewhere on their books, or should I say computers. They have some one with a big enough recovery vehicle to cope with the job in hand. Plus the breakdown operaters garage is close at hand so can, in most cases repair your vehicle also. They also give an arrival time of the recovery vehicle, and if it is late you get £10. You are also covered in any vehicle, even as a passenger in some one elses car/'van, and if you are too ill to drive they supply a driver to take you home or where ever. Well worth looking into.

I cannot comment on the length issue, but if it is of any help we have twice called out Green flag in different parts of the country and on both occasions the service has been excellent.

I would not want to take issue with Ceri, but unless the RAC have changed their policy in the last two years they do NOT cover vans over a length of around the 20'(exact figure escapes me but similar to the AA's)unless you join them through the Camping and Caravan Club. I found this out to my cost when after being a member for 21 years they could not recover my van. I now use Mayday which for personal cover in any vehicle including the M/home or a towed trailer plus one named vehicle that any other driver is covered in for under £90 per year I think that is VFM. I can also agree with Alf W as we called them out this year after a tyre blow out on the M20, the jack for some reason would not lift the van, they arrived 20 mins from phone call with a really friendly and helpful guy.

Guest Dave Tester
Iv`e been a member of the AA for the last few years and recently I phoned them for a call out due to the injection warning light staying illuminated on my Fiat Benimar Europe, the AA telephone operator ask me for the length of the motorhome, after being told it was 21ft she said they only recover vehicles up to 18ft in length, I asked about roadside repair and was told that the vehicle was not covered for any help being over 18ft. I have now taken out cover with Green Flag. Regards Dave Tester.

I had a Caravan Club green flag cover in Europe 2 years ago. Had a minor problem. Used a hotel etc. They re-paid everything without question. Bill

Guest Richard
I would certainly recommend green flag we have only used them once which was in fact 2 days after joining (broken clutch cable) a garage was with us within 20 minuets we were towed to their garage new cable fitted & back on the road within 90 mins cost for repair £19.50 the price of the cable Regards Richard

Guest Keith D
Hi Nick I asked this question two years ago of Peugeot service on our Castaway RG, Was told by them that cover was with RAC and just needed to call RAC if any problem and quote Reg number. Never had to put it to the test though. Now covered with Brittania and pleased to say not needed them either. It is a fabulous vehicle, have had issues with Explorer but from what I hear not much worse than other UK manufacturers.

Hi Nick, JUST spoken to a lovely lady at the RAC on a different matter , but brought the subject up just to confirm i am covered, and she told me as i was a caravan club member, there was no restrictions against my van, so i believe you may have to be a member of the clubs, to get the benefit. Give them a ring to confirm which club. 0870 903 6630, IF YOUR A MEMBER OF ANY AS YET. We are with the Caravan Club, our friends who broke down, im sure said they were with the Ticket Club ? Ceri

Archived