Motorhome Toilet

Robbie63

Robbie, you'll increase your chances of a response if you follow the guidelines:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/iDENTIFY-YOUR-MOTORHOME-/51714/

Then post the model/make of toilet.

I don't understand what stops working and what motor is running. Does the waste disappear from the bowl into the cassette when you open the trap? Is that when a motor comes on?

Your cassette may be fitted with a ventilation system which is the motor you hear running. I believe your van is 13 years old in which it is quite possible someone has fitted a SOG ventilation system. If so there should be a plastic flexi hose that runs from your cassette to outside the van - usually the external vent is in the cassette door.

I'm just guessing in the dark!

Robbie’s previous forum posting stated that his motorhome is 13 years old, but no other details were provided.

At that age (around 2006) if the toilet is Thetford-made it’s quite likely to be a C200 ‘swivel bowl’ model (photo below) and it clearly has an electrically-operated flush.

Electric-flush Thetford toilets either have the flushing water supplied from the motorhome’s main fresh-water tank using the motorhome’s own water pump, or the toilet has its own integrated water reservoir (filled from outside the motorhome) that contains a 12V submersible pump. I’m guessing that Robbie’s toiilet is the latter type and the “motor” that runs when the the toilet’s ‘flush button’ is pressed is the submersible pump in the toilet’s water reservoir.

But (as Brock has said) the toilet make/model needs identifying and details of Robbie’s motorhome would be useful.

thetford-c200-electric-flush-cassette-toiletl.jpg.ee20099c094237ecb5e46b05fa299555.jpg

Sorry for the late reply I have been away. The toilet you described is my exact model. It flushes sometimes but not other times, for instance whenever we go away it seems to work for the first day and then stop flushing.

A downloadable spare-parts diagram/list for a Thetford C200-CWE is here

https://thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilets/cassette-toilets/c200-cwe-eol

This suggests that it should be possible to investigate fairly simply what’s causing the problem as all the ‘suspects’ seem to be reachable through the top of the toilet’s water reservoir.

There are a couple of video-clips here

that relate to fixing problems with the toilet’s water-pump and show how access can be gained to the interior of the water reservoir.

As Colin says it may be that it’s just muck preventing the pump fron delivering water reliably to the toilet’s bowl. I don’t know how the flush process works, but if the switch is OK and the pump is OK and the water-hoses leading from the pump and to the ’nozzle’ in the toilet-bowl are free of any blockage, then the “vacuum breaker” (Part number 16833) may be the culprit.

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/thetford-vacuum-breaker-for-cassettes/4245

Archived