Motorhome being reported for incorrect details.

ColinM50

Just took my M/H in for an MoT and the guy doing it phoned to tell me that it's incorrectly registered on the V5. This OFFICIAL doc says it's a Peugeot 308 Access SW HDI Motor Caravan and he says it's NOT a 308 it's a Boxer. I showed him the V5 and he insists it's wrong. Says a 308 is a car and the DVSA are wrong.

He did the class 4 Mot and it passed with no issues, but he's going to contact DVSA/VOSA for clarification. Anyone any views please?

I find it unlikely that your motorhome is based on a Peugeot 308 and the Elddis bit in your info makes me think it is based on a 3300mgw Boxer.

As its now had an MOT what does the MOT checker site say it is?

If your V5 is wrong then good luck with DVLA - our van was registered as the wrong colour and getting it corrected was a nightmare that went on and on.

Dave

Colin

Peugeot “308 SW Access” models do exist (examples here)

https://www.motors.co.uk/peugeot/308/trim/access/engine/1.6/used-cars/

but they are clearly cars not motorhomes.

It’s almost certainly the dealership that originally UK-registered your Elddis motorhome (that is definitely based on a Peugeot Boxer) that is to blame for this error, but it’s the responsibility of the vehicle owner to inform the DVLA when the data on the V5C docement are recognised as being incorrect. The procedure is described here

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate

As this change is going to involve human effort at the DVLA and replacement of your V5C document, there may be a long delay in getting the correction done.

The tester is right, and the error will almost certainly have been made by whoever first registered your van, presumably an Elddis dealer. The motor trade has streamlined procedures for vehicle registration, through which they basically work directly on DVLA software. It appears someone was careless, and failed to check. They weren't by chance also a Peugeot car dealership, were they?

But I would first carefully check the whole V5C for accuracy (especially check what is entered on the V5C at field X "Taxation Class". It should say PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS (PLG). If anything else is entered let us know.) and then take this up with the seller, and ask them to rectify this, and any other, errors.

As the registered keeper you do have a duty to inform DVLA of any inaccuracies on the V5C, but I think I'd talk to the dealer before starting any DVLA hares running. See what they say. As it was almost certainly their error, and as they have their own registration procedure, it may be that you will not need to take any further action yourself.

I see Derek is on the same tack above.

gdf - 2021-04-15 2:27 PM

If your V5 is wrong then good luck with DVLA - our van was registered as the wrong colour and getting it corrected was a nightmare that went on and on.

Dave

Yet I've changed the colour of several vans over the years just sent in with colour now Blue and returned with no query's. Perhaps be better to tell them its a change rather than they made a mistake

Irrespective of the action taken by the test station, just complete the change of vehicle details section on your V5C to reflect the correct information, and send it back to DVLA with a short covering letter explaining that you have just realised that the details on the V5 are incorrect.

It is just as likely, if not more so, to have been a wrong key press by a DVLA input clerk when originally selecting the vehicle from their makes and models list, as an error by the dealer who applied for registration. It's not as uncommon as you might think. Your V5 will likely either be corrected and a new copy returned or they might ask for further information if they require it. A minority of cases might have been selected for physical examination several years ago, but now that the local offices have closed that's probably less likely, and in any case they will have verification of your issue through the MOT testing scheme report.

Nothing to worry about and mistakes do happen.

A motorbike I once owned had the wrong frame number recorded on the paperwork. Only a about 10 numbers out. Getting it changed was a nightmare. I had to have inspection by an MOT place and then another by DVLC. Now all the local offices have gone I wonder what will happen.

hallii - 2021-04-16 5:35 PM

A motorbike I once owned had the wrong frame number recorded on the paperwork. Only a about 10 numbers out. Getting it changed was a nightmare. I had to have inspection by an MOT place and then another by DVLC. Now all the local offices have gone I wonder what will happen.

You would either have to submit photographs, have a visit from a DVLA inspection officer, or wait for it to be referred to the police, depending on how it was assessed and whether any suspicions were raised.

hallii - 2021-04-16 5:35 PM

You have to go in person to the nearest DVLA office which in my case involved a 120 mile round trip so not best pleased. A vehicle i'd bought was marked as "disabled" in the taxation class and when I contacted DVLA they told me I couldn't get it changed by post, it could only be dealt with by attending in person. Ridiculous.

The office staff sat behind heavily barred windows and when I asked what all that was about, I was told, "because there's often trouble here". Given the amount of time i'd sat waiting I could well understand why!!

Since 2012 there have been no ‘local’ DVLA offices in England, Scotland or Wales - all that remains is DVLA Swansea.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvla-local-office-closures

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/250142/INF259_151013.pdf

This 2014 forum thread asked about visiting DVLA Sansea in person

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/DVLA-Office-Swansea/34668/

A (2015) Pistonheads forum thread said about this

There is an area next to the main reception very much like a bank of cashiers in a bank. I don't know whether they will complete your query there and then or just put it into internal mail to be processed though.

So it might be possible to drop off documents there, but little chance of anything else being dealt with there and then.

Slightly off topic but a number of years ago when dealers charged exorbitant amounts for number plates on a new vehicle I supplied my own. The particular number ended YSP but unfortunately I made a mistake and affixed plates made up as YSF. To make matters worse I etched the wrong number into each window. About 18 months later I noticed and changed the plates by strategically attaching black insulating tape. About two years after that the car was traded in without any comment from the accepting dealer.

Probably wouldn't get away with that now in this online age.

A few months after buying my motorhome new in 2016 I discovered that the dealer had registered it as a goods vehicle. This I found out after being charged a higher toll than expected when travelling through the Dartford tunneI. I phoned the DVLA and their advice was that it was my responsibility to get a letter/email from the dealer confirming the status as a motorhome and take pictures inside and out showing the registration plate as further proof. Once I had sent that off they provided me with a new V5C without too much delay.

Archived