Motorhome depot.com (I’m shocked)

Kennyd

I found a MH on autotrader that I was interested in , only 30 Miles from me (in Scotland) so phoned up the agent to get a viewing, WHAT he said shocked & offended me , he said that he wouldn’t give me a viewing unless I deposited £500 in his account, he said you’ve seen the pictures so put the money in my bank , come and see it and if it’s not the way I described it I’ll give you your money back , so he wanted me to commit to a sale without even seeing it !! ,

I just went and bought a brand new one ( same model) , i was shocked , is the way Motorhome depot.com do business? Or just a rogue agent

We bought a Motorhome via them last year and couldn't have been more helpful. Agent came from Edinburgh and we arranged to meet him with Motorhome to view down Carlisle way. Test drove it, etc, and confirmed we would buy. Our money had to be cleared through bank first before we could get it as we expected.

Barryd999 - 2018-08-22 10:13 PM

I Contacted one in Scotland a year or two ago and he was pretty unhelpful. Just didnt seem interested when I started asking questions about Payload etc. Said he would come back to me. Never heard a thing but thats not unique. Ive had dealers do the same.

I’ve had dealers being unresponsive BUT never had one wanting £500 to view a MH lol

I feel for the person who is wasting there time trying to sell their MH through this agent

If I had been dealing with the owner I would have most likely have bought it

Kennyd - 2018-08-22 8:32 PM

I found a MH on autotrader that I was interested in , only 30 Miles from me (in Scotland) so phoned up the agent to get a viewing, WHAT he said shocked & offended me , he said that he wouldn’t give me a viewing unless I deposited £500 in his account, he said you’ve seen the pictures so put the money in my bank , come and see it and if it’s not the way I described it I’ll give you your money back , so he wanted me to commit to a sale without even seeing it !! ,

I just went and bought a brand new one ( same model) , i was shocked , is the way Motorhome depot.com do business? Or just a rogue agent

ANYONE who asks for £500 before you even know that the van exists, is definately suspect. And possibly criminal. A rogue, dont deal with him.

This sounds like a scam, Autotrader and ebay regularly have cloned adverts that fool potential customers into paying deposits or even full payments for motors that don't exist or whose details have been copied from genuine sellers.

The problem is that they are not deleted for some time.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you had an unsatisfactory experience with us - we never like to hear that and it goes against all that we try to do for motorhome buyers and sellers.

We don't know the details of the case, but I will just take a minute to address two points:

Firstly, our brokers do sometimes suggest a potential buyer puts a returnable deposit on a motorhome as soon as they show a serious interest i.e. having seen the details and spoken to the broker. This is because on our website, each motorhome has a "Buy it now" button. Where a broker can see a motorhome is getting a lot of interest and there is a chance that someone may "Buy it now", they will offer to remove the motorhome from the website for the buyer - buy only if they confirm their interest by putting down a returnable deposit. This seems like a logical trade-off to us - the potential buyer doesn't run the risk of travelling to view a motorhome which has just sold when they arrive. Our sellers aren't losing marketing momentum by continually having their motorhomes removed from the website because of a casual interest. I hope that makes sense.

Secondly, from the tone of your post it sounds as if this policy and the logic behind it wasn't communicated very clearly or very nicely! If that is the case, we apologise - there is no excuse for that.

We sell thousands of motorhomes a year for our customers and in managing that volume of transactions, try as hard as we might, we don't always get everything right - but we will keep trying!

Motorhome depot , I appreciate your reply , as I said I feel for your client whom I’m sure is not getting the service they signed up for , I most likely would have bought the MH , it was the exact model I wanted , 2 year old like new so a good saving from new , I didn’t get the chance to view it , so I bought a brand new one ( exactly the same model with almost the same spec ) , there was no misunderstanding with your agent, he was very clear about what he wanted , A £500 deposit to view the MH Not to reserve it , This is my firts & last dealings with MH Depot , the trust Pilot link above confirms I am only one of many who was unhappy with you service

I attach a link to the add ,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dethleffs-Esprit-Comfort-A7870-tag-axle/352420256382?hash=item520de25a7e:g:LosAAOSwzZFbYcMD

• 2 months later...

Just came on this thread and feel the need to comment. I have sold various largish items including boats. I was amazed at the number of time wasters there were around. People would phone and get details and make definite appointment to come and view after expressing strong interest. That was the last ever heard of them as not only did they not turn up they made no attempt to cancel the appointment. Some who did turn up would not commit themselves as they pronounced themselves pleased with the boat but would not commit. Meanwhile positive buyers who had cash would appear. The first person to pay got the boat regardless.

May be the agent had a bellyful of such people.

bodach - 2018-11-18 8:57 PM

Just came on this thread and feel the need to comment. I have sold various largish items including boats. I was amazed at the number of time wasters there were around. People would phone and get details and make definite appointment to come and view after expressing strong interest. That was the last ever heard of them as not only did they not turn up they made no attempt to cancel the appointment. Some who did turn up would not commit themselves as they pronounced themselves pleased with the boat but would not commit. Meanwhile positive buyers who had cash would appear. The first person to pay got the boat regardless.

May be the agent had a bellyful of such people.

There are some sellers that are 'time wasters' too!! I'm looking around for another van and spotted one on AutoTrader early September which looked worthwhile viewing. It was listed as private seller. I phoned but just got an ansaphone so left my number. Never heard anything from the seller so assume it's sold.....BUT it's still on AT site and i think max ad period is one month. But whether or not, surely if sold it's extremely simple to access your advert and either edit it as "Now Sold", or remove the ad altogether!

Even more odd was one only a few weeks ago. Private seller and m/h was in Abingdon. No problem, i expect to need to drive distances to view, but he then told me he was bringing it to his mothers at the weekend which was just 10 miles from where i live. Brilliant! He seemed very enthusiastic, asked for my number and told me he would phone when close to his mothers. Sat in all day and the phone never rang! Ok i thought maybe he had some problem or something but still no reason for him not to call and let me know. Even more odd.....the mh drove through my village only a few days back and i know it was the same one from the decal on the side plus bike and ladder rack. Also it was going in the direction of where his mother lives. That's also still on AT!!

Archived