Motorhome insurance after Brexit

ColinM50

Just received this from Comfort Insurance and thought it might be of interest.

With negotiations still continuing over the United Kingdom's exit of the European Union, and uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal, we want to provide (as best we can) an update on the potential impact on our customers, should the UK leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement. It is important to note that nothing has been formally agreed at this point, but customers should be aware of the potential implications in respect of motorhome insurance and travel in Europe.

As the United Kingdom is currently due to leave the European Union on 31st October 2019, any trip that ends before this date will not require a Green Card unless you are travelling to any of the following countries: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Israel, Morocco, Montenegro, Tunisia or Turkey. In the event of a “no deal” Brexit, customers travelling to Europe may need to take action for some types of cover, however we can only issue a Green Card 21 days before the start of your trip. You should therefore contact us at the appropriate time for us to issue you a Green Card. As of 27th September it is still unclear what the outcome of the ongoing Brexit negotiations will be. We will continue to monitor political developments and we are engaging with our underwriters/regulators, so we can minimise any regulatory or operational difficulties that might arise, and we are seeking to provide the service our customers expect whatever the Brexit outcome.

Why do customers need a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary minimum insurance cover. It certifies that the policyholder is suitably insured to drive abroad. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling, as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at a border without a physical Green Card, they may not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean for our customers?

At present, Comfort policies allow policyholders to drive within the European Union, cover is still in place and nothing will change. If you are planning a trip that is completed before the 31st October 2019 then there is no change.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by Comfort Insurance. Until more certainty is provided about the formal Brexit agreement on 31st October, the interim guidance is that you should contact us if you intend to drive abroad three weeks before travel, and we will issue and send the required document. We are not currently charging a fee to issue Green Cards. However, depending upon the outcome of Brexit negotiations and the stance of underwriters/regulators, there may be a charge after 31st October 2019. We will keep you updated with further information when there is more clarity regarding the long term implications of Brexit.

Will a UK driving licence be valid to drive in the EU after 31st October 2019?

While it is too soon to say, in the event of a “no deal” situation, the Department for Transport has indicated that you may need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU. This would need to be shown in conjunction with a UK driving licence. The IDP is issued by the Government via Post Offices; Comfort Insurance cannot issue IDPs. It is important to note that there are different types of IDP, and this will depend on the country you will be driving in:

A 1949 Convention IDP covers these EU countries: Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; or

A 1968 Convention IDP covers all other EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland

Whatever the Brexit outcome, we will continue to update customers with further information and/or actions you may need to take as soon as we can.

Please note that a lot of the changes taking place will only apply in the event of a “no deal”. There are actions taking place to keep the pan-European Green Card which is already part of your insurance policy so an additional Green Card may not be required

I received the information Colin quotes via an e-mail yesterday (27 September) from Comfort Insurance, and I assume that’s also how Colin was given the update.

If you haven’t received the Comfort e-mail (and it’s not lurking in a spam/junk file) you might want to contact Comfort to confirm they have your correct current e-mail address.

This link refers to the Green Card system

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/accidents-in-the-uk-involving-a-foreign-registered-vehicle/green-card-system-explained/

I don’t know if, in the past, it was normal policy for motor-insurance providers to charge nothing for issuing a Green Card, but Comfort Insurance was certainly charging an administration fee (I’m pretty sure £20) for anyone asking for one right up to near to the initial ‘Brexit-date’ in March 2019.

At that point Comfort Insurance waived the fee and I applied for free green cards from them for my motorhome and car on a just-in-case basis as I was planning to go abroad in April.

At around the same time I obtained an IDP from a local Post Office.

Living in Germany we are naturally insured with ADAC. When our insurance was automatically renewed at the start of the year we received our insurance documents and replacement Green Cards - free of charge - which expire in THREE YEARS TIME.

We even have a Green Card for our trailer which has to be registered and insured in its own right over here 8-) (lol) (lol)

When I got the Green card for ny trip to Morocco I had to state the dates of arrival ad departure for our trip, that will complicate things if that still applies as we like to bob about a lot whilst on our Jollies into France then Spain and portugal and back and forth between these countries, in the same trip, maybe that will not now be possible .OH well I did vote leave and still want OUT hee hee.

breakaleg - 2019-09-29 10:50 AM

It's funny isn't it.

When we had to have green cards in the past there was never a charge for this. Perhaps it was included in the cost of your insurance back then. I can not see how it would cost £17.00 to produce this piece of paper. Yet another rip off

Pete

I always insured with Scenic for that very reason.....they are one of the few companies that make no charge, plus also cover far more countries than other companies allow. As the Green Card is pre-printed the only "admin" required takes seconds and rubber stamping with the insurers name etc. But this is UK....and being ripped off is virtually a country sport! :-|

vindiboy - 2019-09-29 2:39 PM

.......we like to bob about a lot whilst on our Jollies into France then Spain and portugal and back and forth between these countries, in the same trip, maybe that will not now be possible .OH well I did vote leave and still want OUT hee hee.

Unbelievably stupid mentality. I saw an interview with a bloke who lives in Spain and voted to leave!!! He complained because Brexit was forcing him to move back to the U.K.

There should be an IQ test for all adults. Apologies to OP for going off track.

Brexit was originally due to happen on 29 March 2019 and I was due to take our motorhome to France in early April 2019. The expiry date of my motorhome insurance policy was when I would be abroad.

As a UK-issued Green Card is ditrectly linked to the motor insurance policy, this meant that, if Comfort Insurance had issued a Green Card before I went abroad, the Card’s validity would cease while I was abroad and I could not replace it.

To sidestep this potential problem I cancelled the motorhome insurance policy and a new policy was issued by Comfort Insurance beginning just before I planned to leave the UK. This allowed Comfort Insurance to provide a Green Card linked to the new policy and that Card would be valid until April 2020.

Of course, if I could have predicted that the UK would still not have detached itself from the EU by October 2019, there would have been no need to play about with insurance policy expiry dates, Green Cards or IDPs.

Of course, if I could have predicted that the UK would still not have detached itself from the EU by October 2019, there would have been no need to play about with insurance policy expiry dates, Green Cards or IDPs.

any chance of predicting what's going to happen at the end of Oct? (^) (!)

aandy - 2019-09-30 9:48 AM

Way2Go - 2019-09-29 3:55 PM

Unbelievably stupid mentality.

Perhaps some thought there were more important issues to consider than how we take our holidays.

Agree 100%. Holidays are just the tip of the iceberg which is a good analogy for your little North Sea island.

• 2 months later...

After browsing the forum on this particular topic for the first time (newbie motorhomer) I drew up a list of suggested suppliers and started enquiring...

First up was Comfort Ins but was surprised by their reply. They initially asked a couple of questions about the type of MH, and where I'm keeping it. The answer I gave them was... Hymer Carado 2012, and keeping it in a communal 4 space parking area (off the road) which is right beside our block of three houses and used by one elderly neighbour and me.

The guy didn't hang around and said "we can't cover you", "try Adrian Flux, they should be able to cover you ok"

I spoke to Comfort on a call back service so I'm not sure whether my adds I gave on their request message come up as a high crime area (which couldn't be further from the truth) or they're tightening up in general on what they deem to be too risk-averse ??

Ah well, try the others now, strange tough.

I suspect you will find, paid2travel, that Comfort will only insure a motorhome that is stored in secure 'approved' compounds when not in use. Such storage is not cheap - I pay £400 a year. If Saga have no such restrictions then it will undoubtedly make them very appealing to many.

The Motorhome Insurance Policy offered by Comfort Insurance can be read here

https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/V6-policy-Booklet.pdf

“Storage”, “Storage Location” and “Your private address” are defined on Page 6, and Page 7 refers to insurance cover when a motorhome is 'in storage’ as follows:

If your motorhome is in storage, this policy section will continue to apply when

a) Your motorhome is stored at your private address; or

b) Your motorhome is stored on the privatedriveway of a close friend or relative, provided that it forms part of their property (subject to acceptance of postcode)

c) Your motorhome is stored at a CASSOA storage facility

d) Your motorhome is stored at a non-CASSOA storage location that has been approved by us.

If paid2travel asked Comfort Insurance why they could not provide him with cover, I am sure they would explain the reasons.

Comfort aren't open today but the guy had a problem with On the Road parking which was the only choice that matched my criteria.

Comfort's online note to this question read...

"Please note that any off-road parking other than your driveway or garage should be entered as On the Road.

If the vehicle is parked somewhere other than the home address please select "Storage/Elsewhere" from the list" ie; " In a locked building at the proposer's address or On the proposer's private driveway or On the road or Storage/Elsewhere"

Caravan & Motorhome Club won't honour my 9+yrs NCD because it's from a car insurance policy and not from a motorhome policy.

CaravanGuard didn't like the fact that my MH has been imported privately.

Saga said they have to ask their underwriter first for approval regarding the high value of my MH and the fact that its location is on-the-road.

The ironic point in all of this is that my MH is sitting in our parking compound off the road but insurers view this as the same as on-the-road. I also think that as this is the first time I'm trying to insure a motorhome, it seems to scare them off for some reason.

paid2travel - 2019-12-08 11:09 AM

The ironic point in all of this is that my MH is sitting in our parking compound off the road but insurers view this as the same as on-the-road.

I also think that as this is the first time I'm trying to insure a motorhome, it seems to scare them off for some reason.

I think the problem is that " insurers decisions " are made by computers - not people.

When a runaway vehicle crashed into our car, on our drive, some years ago - very early in the morning when we were in bed, the insurers wanted to know who was driving at the time !

When I explained that we were both in bed they said their computer software couldn't operate without a named driver.

It's a sign of things to come when the world is run by what is laughingly known as " Artificial Intelligence "

;-)

Archived