Motorhome pricing, new & pre-owned

simon_g

Again, probably a discussion that's been had before but...

1. How much extra should I allow over a list price to get a useable 'van? Looking at dealer websites the actual prices for stock vehicles bear no resemblence to the 'buyers' guide' prices published elsewhere: generally seem to be 15-25% higher. It seems the essential "options" load on motorhomes is worse than on new cars.

2. Is it fair to say motorhomes hold their value well in the used market? The models I've looked at which suit me seem to come out around £49-53k new from stock, and the few I found pre-owned start at £40k for a 2014 model.

Simon,

Like you we've not been able to establish any correlation between the dealer & list prices during our recent search for a new MH.

As an example we got a great deal on our new van (when compared to many other dealers) but when I checked the price against the list costs in the pages of Practical Motorhome Magazine then I honestly thought that I had ovepaid by many thousands. As it turned out the list price in the magazine was simply there to highlight the van without any useful kit - the steering wheel was a standard feature but that was about it :-)

Previously to that, the missus and I looked at getting a Hymer this year for £65,000 (as per the official Hymer web page advert) but when we visited the dealer, armed with a deposit, we were told that the £65k-van would cost us just over £75,000 after the steering wheel had been costed-in; Great!

If you've not got a PX to trade then you are fortunate enough to be approaching the right time of year to buy new. Most dealers take out 9-month 'low rate' loans on their van stock and this will be coming to an end soon enough so there will be bargains to be had.

My local dealer has already reduced his large British MHs from £71k to £65k in recent weeks as he doesn't want to be left with a whole load of stock (and debt) when he hits his end-of-loan period in August.

One of the best things to do is choose a few vans that you like and compare the equivalent deals through the dealer network. If you're prepared to put the time in then you will get a good deal.

All the best,

Andrew

I think Bop hit the nail on the head when he said 'If you're prepared to put the time in then you will get a good deal'. Compare/negotiate prices at many dealers.

Now is a good time to buy as the first flush of Spring purchases has passed and dealers will want to shift stock before Autumn.

My maxim is to negotiate down to the price where the dealer lets you walk away - and then go back and accept his last price. Also, it's important to add all the extras you want before you start haggling.

Archived