Motorhome security - at what cost?

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
I've been thinking about the lengths that some people will go to have peace of mind on security in their motorhomes. Some people are obsessed/paranoid about security. A close friend had his van broken into and his van is now like Fort Knox, very hard to get into but even harder to bale out of in an emergency. I've seen bars on cab windows, cab doors chained together, cab doors secured by the seat belts and other DIY gadgets. Many people in securing their vans have not even thought about the problems arising if they need to get out in a hurry. When we bought the Timberland we discussed ways of getting out in a hurry with the beds made up. Now being in our seventies and not all that agile the easiest way out is through the back door, I dread to think what would happen if we could not exit that way. It's quiet easy to get out in the daylight but I'm not sure how it would be if it was dark and the van was full of smoke. We are lucky in having four doors which makes life a little easier. We don't have any added security just the standard Cobra alarm. In a coachbuilt with the cab doors chained and secured by padlocks has any thought been given to getting out in a hurry. It might be reasonably easy to unlock padlocks during the day but at night it could be a different matter, if you couldn't get out of the habitation door you could be in big trouble. In some of the A class vans when the over cab bed is down it would be almost impossible to use the cab doors. Some of the large European/American RV's have only one door, many also have the windows sealed for the air con. How do you get out in an emergency if you can't reach the only door. I've not set out to frighten anyone nor am I scaremongering, fires in motorhomes rarely occur but when the do they can be very frightening or worse. For an account of such an incident there is a posting "Fire Risk Warning" on this Forum by Mel B dated 28 June 2005. Mel B and family had a very lucky escape that day. So can you get out of your van quickly anytime day or night if need be? Regards Don

My mother-in-law had a farm in South Africa - that well-known bastion of law and order. But she never had any problem at all with security. Why? Because the farm dog was a large gentleman: his mother was a Rottweiler and his dad was a Bull Mastiff. Get one of these, take him with you, and security will cease to be a problem!

Guest Clive
Spellin was never my best subjekt Mind you, when my Janet is in her car and her horns come out a similar situation arrises!

Guest Dave Newell
Hi Don, I can understand why people go to extreme lengths to protect their 'vans as my workshop was burgled two weeks ago. As you know I keep my motorhome in the workshop as I mistakenly believed it was more secure there than in full view on my drive, Ha!! The little £$%$%^&^s (sorry, that should read poor under-priviledged, hard-done-to persons who obviously have a problem fitting in with society and need counselling and help rather than locking up or other forms of justice), broke in to the neighbouring unit and then used the adjoining fire exits to gain entry to mine. My first thought when I arrived the next morning was actually one of releif as the poor little darlings appear to have done as little damage as possible (although they did releive me of nearly £2500 worth of gear including my own CD radio out of our motorhome and about £1500 worth of customers equipment, thank god for insurance). Although minimum damage was done overall they still broke the quarter light frame and dented the passenger door along with lots of scratches to the dash and a few bits of broken trim. Well I've got news for them if they want to come back for more; the fire door has now got 100KGs of solid steel gate double padlocked across it (open when I'm in the unit for obvious reasons). The workshop is alarmed with a dialler to phone me if its triggered, PIR sensed floodlight at the front of the building (you cannot get within 20 feet of my unit now from the front without being detected) with a security camera directly below it recording to a remote website. I've so far lost three days to securing the workshop, four days sorting out the motorhome, loads of money I don't have on security systems and I've only just started! Oh how I'd love to meet the little dears one dark night! P.S. sorry if this sounds like a rant but I'm still a bit grumpy about it. Dave.

Dave Funny how real money is only spent on security prevention AFTER there has been a breach in security!! Horses, bolting, and stable doors always come to mind!! If you are ever lucky enough to happen upon the "little dears" one dark night, give 'em one for all of us law abiding citizens but remember, don't leave any clues or DNA! Commiserations and good luck Neal

Guest Dave Newell
Neal, I was hoping nobody would mention horses and stable doors. The simple fact is that as I've only just started up the business funds are somewhat limited and therefore any expense has to be considered carefully. The problem of security arises because we honest people don't think like crims and beleive we are secure because we don't see where the weak spots are. Nobody expected the "little dears" to literally peal up the cladding on the building to gain access. The cladding is sheet steel outer skin, insulating rigid foam and another sheet steel skin so not exactly easy but they did it. If I ever did meet them I of course wouldn't dream of physical violence, I would simply like to show them the love that they were obviously deprived of in their formative years. Just to bring this thread back to motorhome security, I don't think tying the cab doors together would actually stop anyone serious as once the lock is opened one good tug should pull the arm rests off the doors. ( I hope I haven't just given a crim any ideas!) Thanks for the support, Dave.

Guest David Powell
I've said this before...If you want to stop your pride and joy being stolen, paint it, or have graphics that will not go un-noticed, without going OTT of course. It will not prevent break-ins but may reduce the risk. There is a big Mercedes conversion knocking around here, and on both sides there are two beautiful big dolphins leaping over a wave, nearly everyone looks at it in passing, so that attracts too much attention for anyone to risk stealing it. Or an odd colour like ours, North Atlantic battleship grey with red stripes, and that is the original paint job. People look at it and probably think {Funny fellow}

Archived