Motorhome stopovers.

Arkwright

Another badly worded petition.

To quote: "We the undersigned respectfully ask that councils can provide stopping places or areas for the overnight stay of individual taxed and insured motorhomes."

Councils can provide these places at the moment - the problem is that they don't.

I'm not sure why the fact that motorhomes are taxed and insured comes into it at all.

Andy_C

The main problem with this petition is that it is wrongly targeted. Parking facilities are matters for local authorities, not central government, and there is absolutely no chance of central government taking powers to make the situation otherwise.

The reason why most local authorities don't use existing powers to create aires or equivalents is that they don't have evidence to show that it would be to the advantage of their local areas.

What they do see, in some areas anyway, is an increase in complaints from residents about MH owners camping overnight where such is perceived as detrimental to the area.

What hardly ever happens is any approach from motorhome owners to councils along the lines of "If you provide somewhere for MHs to overnight in your area it is likely that the owners will spend money in the town, to the economic benefit of the area".

Councils are unlikely to spend taxpayers' money providing things like fresh water points and grey/black waste disposal unless they think there is going to be some value for taxpayers in return.

That's why I encourage people to make positive approaches to councils and provide letter templates on my web site Here.

Graham

Guest Tracker
Nice ones Graham - I'll send all three to Pembrokeshire CC but in view of their attitude towards Dawn's (forgotten her surname) recent application to open a private Aire for Motorhomes at Llanteg close to the A477 main tourist road to the Irish Ferry and to Tenby, I don't expect much sympathy from them as it seems we are all still stuck with the legacy and the label of those wretched dross travellers of the 80's.

At the weekend I took part in a survey by the Inland Waterways Board and was asked what we thought would enhance the amenities available, I pointed out that in France there are facilities for Motorhomes alonside canals with facilities for both boats and motorhomes to which he showed a lot of interest and said he would look into the idea in more detail to see what the inland waterways could achive in that area .

Certainly an approach to British Waterways has some merit, they own or control many sites which would be very suitable for the dual use of boaters and motorhomes. They would need to apply for planning consent however.

Getting back to local councils, there is a (slowly) growing number that do permit overnight stays by motorhomes, Graham lists them on his site and I list the ones I know about on my page here. If anyone knows of any others I'd be pleased to hear about them, I'm sure Graham would too.

Andy_C

Tracker - 2008-10-27 5:08 PM

Nice ones Graham - I'll send all three to Pembrokeshire CC but in view of their attitude towards Dawn's (forgotten her surname) recent application to open a private Aire for Motorhomes at Llanteg close to the A477 main tourist road to the Irish Ferry and to Tenby, I don't expect much sympathy from them as it seems we are all still stuck with the legacy and the label of those wretched dross travellers of the 80's.

kelly58 - 2008-10-27 5:25 PM

At the weekend I took part in a survey by the Inland Waterways Board and was asked what we thought would enhance the amenities available, I pointed out that in France there are facilities for Motorhomes alonside canals with facilities for both boats and motorhomes to which he showed a lot of interest and said he would look into the idea in more detail to see what the inland waterways could achive in that area .

Well done to you both - hope you get results.

Andy_C - 2008-10-27 5:52 PM

Certainly an approach to British Waterways has some merit, they own or control many sites which would be very suitable for the dual use of boaters and motorhomes. They would need to apply for planning consent however.

Getting back to local councils, there is a (slowly) growing number that do permit overnight stays by motorhomes, Graham lists them on his site and I list the ones I know about on my page here. If anyone knows of any others I'd be pleased to hear about them, I'm sure Graham would too.

Andy_C

Most certainly - as more and more councils (and other bodies) come on board we will eventually reach a critical mass. The word will spread when councils start to reap the benefits.

Graham

bigal55 - 2008-10-27 7:23 PM

i will do the same but it may take some time in bournemouth, i asked the jobsworth in charge of parking why there were no dedicated parking places for m/homes in bournmouth, reply" wait until we get the travelers site"

Very strange. I wonder if it's a matter of the approach taken - I'm not sure it really helps if one assumes that council officers are "jobsworths".

By coincidence I had an e-mail recently from a user of my web site who was bemoaning the inability to park a MH in a particular location within Bournemouth. I suggested he used one of the templates to make a positive approach to the council.

Here are two paragraphs from the response he received:

In applying highway restrictions the Council has responded to the complaints from local residents and while I am sure you would never contemplate cooking while on the highway or using the street drains to empty your chemical toilet, I regret to advise that such incidents have occurred and in some locations continue to occur where we encounter campervans on the highway. We have also had occasions when those arriving in campervans/motorhomes have simply used the street drains as a toilet and I am sure you will appreciate the risk this type of behaviour poses to public health generally.

While you may now be of the opinion that I have no particular enthusiasm for your choice of recreational vehicle, I nevertheless recognise that as a Council we must strive to welcome and accommodate visitors while addressing the impact their choice of vehicle might have on the environment. As you have identified we do have Queens Road and Kings Park and this may be the only option for the larger campervan type vehicles. I do however recognise that we should make additional space for larger vehicles (up to 17 seat minibuses) and perhaps small to medium campervans in some of our Town Centre surface car parks. To this end I have commissioned the construction of 4 bays for the exclusive use of larger vehicles at Central Car Park in Upper Hinton Road and at the Winter Gardens Car Park on Priory Road close to the Bournemouth International Centre. I have also made a provision at Berry Court Car Park on St Peters Road . All should be available for use by Easter 2009.

Hardly, I would suggest, the response of a "jobsworth". More the response of someone who has been approached constructively and has responded in similar vein.

Graham

GJH - 2008-10-27 8:18 PM

Hardly, I would suggest, the response of a "jobsworth". More the response of someone who has been approached constructively and has responded in similar vein.

Graham

it,s too a long story to relate here but after our dealings with the jobsworth parking manager of bournemouth council we have been given a full apology and 2 free tickets to any show in bournemouth, for over stepping his authority because threatened us with legal proceedings for parking on the road

bigal55 - 2008-10-27 9:50 PM

GJH - 2008-10-27 8:18 PM

Graham

it,s too a long story to relate here but after our dealings with the jobsworth parking manager of bournemouth council we have been given a full apology and 2 free tickets to any show in bournemouth, for over stepping his authority because threatened us with legal proceedings for parking on the road

I obviously don't know the full details and who you've been dealing with Alan - and I'm not seeking to know. The message I quoted from came from the Enforcement & Parking Services Manager.

Possibly senior to the person you dealt with? or a change or personnel since then? or maybe a change of heart after your experience (in which case well done)?

Certainly a positive attitude being shown now.

Graham

Guest Tracker
GJH - 2008-10-29 6:57 PM

I hope all my postings on this thread are seen as constructive - they were certainly meant to be.

I'm happy to discuss, on list, any points which anyone might feel were not constructive.

Graham

That is exactly the way that I see your postings Graham - very constructive.

Tracker - 2008-10-29 7:11 PM

GJH - 2008-10-29 6:57 PM

I hope all my postings on this thread are seen as constructive - they were certainly meant to be.

I'm happy to discuss, on list, any points which anyone might feel were not constructive.

Graham

That is exactly the way that I see your postings Graham - very constructive.

Thank you kind sir :-)

Graham

Archived