Motorhome with 6 seat belts

rowley

Hi,

We have the Roller Team 600 and friends of ours have just bought the 700, both have seatbelts for 6, the 700 has seating for 6 to eat as well.

You do come across the odd one in the second hand market but as the person above states they are not that much to start with compared to most so you should find a good deal somewhere. Try Geoff Cox in Denby, Derby, we both got ours from them and very pleased with the price and the after service.

Let me know if you need more info, if they want to try before they buy so to speak, my friend hires hers out.

Mandy

The little brother of the 600 and 700 Autoroller 500 also has six belts (including the two lap belts in the rearward facing dinette seats) but would have less space than the others but is under the magical 3.5 tons.

In a frontal collision (usually the most severe ) rear facing seat belts have little to do. It is the rear facing passengers seat backrest that will prevent its occupants from impacting the the passengers seated ahead of them. The forces involved in a severe impact are enormous and a chipboard backrest is totally inadequate.

I have seen examples where even though there was a tubular metal backrest support frame it was only fastened with self tapping screws into ply/chipboard.

Models with EWVTA European Whole Vehicle Type approval should be OK but still look hard and if in any doubt get an independent engineer to check before signing on the dotted line.

A Hymer C524 has 6 seatbelts albeit one is just a lap belt on a rearward facing seat. There are potentially 6 berths but recommended full sleeping occupancy is only OK on short term in view of the compactness of this MH.

This is a coachbuild and just about 6m in length which is handy when it comes to ferry fares. We find it ideal for our purposes, mainly touring as a couple, holidaying with two grandchildren for a week, or an occasional 6 seater transport.

davenewell@home - 2008-06-01 6:38 PM

I would be very surprised if you can find a six berth motorhome with six belted travel seats that can carry six people and all their bits 'n' bobs yet still be under the "magical" 3.5 Tonnes gross with everyone on board!

D.

I suppose it depends on how long you are going away for. I know a lot of grandparents (like us) use the vehicle as a day van on occasions and the payload is more than adequate in our van for that.

Hi,

My friend who has just got the 700 has had the extra seatbelt fitted so now it not only sleeps 7 it seats 7 safely too.

Payload on the 600 and 700 is 3850 but yes we struggle with 4 so gawd knows what 7 would be like. Just have to hope its 2 sets of twins under 5 but out of nappies :-D

Mandy

Mandy&Andy - 2008-06-02 6:07 AM

Hi,

My friend who has just got the 700 has had the extra seatbelt fitted so now it not only sleeps 7 it seats 7 safely too.

Payload on the 600 and 700 is 3850 but yes we struggle with 4 so gawd knows what 7 would be like. Just have to hope its 2 sets of twins under 5 but out of nappies :-D

Mandy

No 3850 is NOT your payload, that is your MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Weight). Payload is the difference between kerb weight (what the vehicle weighs empty basically) and the MTPLM. The only way to accurately know your payload is to weigh the van empty then subtract this figure from the MTPLM. Most people (me included) prefer to load the 'van as for a holiday and then weigh it with all occupants on board and hope that it comes within the MTPLM.

D.

cronkle - 2008-06-01 7:10 PM

I would be very surprised if you can find a six berth motorhome with six belted travel seats that can carry six people and all their bits 'n' bobs yet still be under the "magical" 3.5 Tonnes gross with everyone on board!

D.

I suppose it depends on how long you are going away for. I know a lot of grandparents (like us) use the vehicle as a day van on occasions and the payload is more than adequate in our van for that.

Hi Cronkle, I don't quite understand your post I'm afraid. A six berth 'van on a 3.5 Tonne chassis is unlikely to have sufficient payload to carry six people and their clobber. It may well be sufficient for a couple but its when you add the extra passengers and their bits 'n' bobs. Presumably a six berth 'van would be aimed at a family and when that family wants to go away for a fortnight (or more) they ARE going to fall foul of the weight limits.

D.

davenewell@home - 2008-06-02 6:59 AM

cronkle - 2008-06-01 7:10 PM

D.

Hi Cronkle, I don't quite understand your post I'm afraid. A six berth 'van on a 3.5 Tonne chassis is unlikely to have sufficient payload to carry six people and their clobber. It may well be sufficient for a couple but its when you add the extra passengers and their bits 'n' bobs. Presumably a six berth 'van would be aimed at a family and when that family wants to go away for a fortnight (or more) they ARE going to fall foul of the weight limits.

D.

My point is that I don't think we are unique in, as a couple, visiting grandchildren who live a distance away and then taking them out for the day in our van. I would be well within the weight limits for our van as there would only be us and our 'clobber' in there plus four small people. All six would have seat belts. Therefore, for some of us, this would be a practical option.

I would agree that a family of six going away for a fortnight is not likely to be doing so legally or, to my mind, comfortably.

Gosh you do get cross sometimes don't you Mr Newell

I stopped contributing on here because people were so intolerant of others, think I may as well give up trying now.

I am sorry I got it wrong and humbly apologise for my stupidity.

Mandy

Hi Mandy, I'm sorry you misread my posting as being cross. it certainly wasn't my intention to admonish you in any way. I merely sought to enlighten you regarding the differences between MTPLM and payload as you'd obviously gotten mixed up with them. Pleasee accept my humble apologies for upsetting you.

D.

Archived