Motorhomes Urged To Use Official Sites In Argyll And Bute

Bop

Sounds to me just like an excuse to herd people onto sites. There is no logic to those recommendations. It was bound to happen I suppose. The anti wild camping brigade will just use covid to their advantage. I can understand to an extent wanting to boost business but lets not pretend its about safety.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-08 8:00 AM

Sounds to me just like an excuse to herd people onto sites. There is no logic to those recommendations. It was bound to happen I suppose. The anti wild camping brigade will just use covid to their advantage. I can understand to an extent wanting to boost business but lets not pretend its about safety.

Absolutely right.

Logic suggests its safer to spread out over the countryside that be crammed into sites.

But at least they have made it clear that wild camping is legal;

"From July 3 it became possible to use a caravan or motorhome provided it is fully self-contained, and there is no requirement for you to access shared internal facilities, for example campsite or shore-side cooking, washing or toilet facilities. "

So I'm touring the highlands :-D - and this mornings forecast looks fair for 14 days 8-) :-D

John52 - 2020-07-08 9:18 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-07-08 8:00 AM

Absolutely right.

Logic suggests its safer to spread out over the countryside that be crammed into sites.

But at least they have made it clear that wild camping is legal;

"From July 3 it became possible to use a caravan or motorhome provided it is fully self-contained, and there is no requirement for you to access shared internal facilities, for example campsite or shore-side cooking, washing or toilet facilities. "

So I'm touring the highlands :-D - and this mornings forecast looks fair for 14 days 8-) :-D

Did you read the sentence two paragraphs below what you quoted which states that it does not include "in the wild"?

The guidance on the gov.scot website

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/pages/sport-culture-and-leisure/

reads

What about caravans and motorhomes?

From 3 July you can use a caravan or motorhome provided that it is fully self-contained, and there is no requirement for you to access shared internal facilities, for example campsite or shore-side cooking, washing or toilet facilities.

What about going camping?

Campsites should only be available for users that have fully self-contained facilities, for example, caravans and motorhomes/campervans, as defined above. It does not include camping in tents, where campers would have to rely on shared facilities, or in the wild, since this is not ‘booked’ in advance so numbers cannot be managed.

Caravan and motorhome usage is dealt with separately from ‘camping’ and (as I read the guidance) non-campsite usage by a self-contained caravan or motorhome is permissible, whereas campsites should only allow self-contained caravans or motorhomes to stay there.

There are at this moment only two public toilets open in Argyll & Bute, though a phased re opening is apparently underway, consequently there are hardly any facilities available to discharge grey water or empty cassettes, likewise, availability of water is going to be difficult. Many sites are not yet open.

hagrid - 2020-07-09 12:21 PM

There are at this moment only two public toilets open in Argyll & Bute, though a phased re opening is apparently underway, consequently there are hardly any facilities available to discharge grey water or empty cassettes, likewise, availability of water is going to be difficult. Many sites are not yet open.

A very good point indeed. The lack of a loo and water network in the Highlands & Islands is bound to be a huge issue for some van owners this year.

Archived