Motorhomes in Canada

Guest Jack

We have just returned from a tour across Canada and a bit of America. They are all Motorhome mad. Lots of provisions for the biggest beasts you can think of. If you are planning to tour over there for a year then it is probably cheaper to ship your own motorhome in advance then fly across when its arrived. Anything less than a year then rent locally. All American and Canadian motorhomes are BIG and have BIG appetites for fuel. But the cost of fuel is so much lower than ours that you can run a 7.5 tonner over there for the cost of running a 3.5 tonner over here. And they are on Petrol and we are on diesel. Do NOT under estimate the distances they travel. And they CAN turn right on a red light and they CAN undertake on a multiple lane carriageway. Good luck

my daughter & hubbie flew over & hired a camper prior to emigrating.from memory they hired from drive america who also cover canada. can't advise on cost but do remember that they had to buy a mileage package that if exceeded would have cost more. search for drive america's web site,i know it's there somewhere.

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
I have relatives in Ontario and have hired rvs from www.canadream.com, membership of KOA campgrounds comes with the vehicle. They have depots all over the country(Toronto,Calgary,Winipeg,Vancouver,Montreal,Halifax,Whitehorse) and supply a range of vehicles from dismountables to coach type rvs. The campgrounds generally have 'drive thru' pitchs, no 77 piont turns. Pitches usually have there own fire pit and picnic table. Try the website, I think you can book online as well. Happy trails

• 2 weeks later...
We've done this twice, both times booking through Canadream. Excellent service both West coast in Vancouver and East coast in Halifax Nova Scotia. However if you need a specific size this needs to be stated. On our second trip we booked a SVC Camper and were upgraded to a much bigger motorhome. They thought that they were doing us a favour, with no extra cost, but fuel use and therefore running costs were considerably higher. It was like driving a brick through custard against strong headwinds of the remains of one of the much publicised hurricanes of 2004. We never had any problems with finding and getting onto campgrounds in May/June or September October. (for information, the brick was a standard house brick - not engineering type!)

Archived