Motorhomes in Oz

Guest Malcolm M

Guest Malcolm M
We're thinking about hiring a van in New South Wales next winter and spending about 3 weeks touring around. Can anyone recommend an easy-going itinerary starting and ending in Sydney please? We've done New Zealand a couple of times and fancy a change while we're up to it!

Guest Malcolm W
We hired a Maui camper in Sydney last March customer service was terrible, 3 hours to wait to collect the van! We found the hotels in Sydney to be cheaper than the campsites. Camper van was a big mistake. Also public transport is good and cheap. Traffic was very heavy in New South wales. We only did a week visited the Blue Mountain National Park which was quite nice but it rained a lot! Sydney Harbour was great. Its best to buy a one day travel ticket which includes most of the ferries.

I will probably get flamed for this malcolm but here goes . There is somebody posting on MHT asking if anyone wants a M/H swap, he lives in Oz, even if you don't fancy a swap being a local he may be able to point you in the right direction

Malcolm & Clive, see my reply to 'Western Australia' about 15-20 postings down. Motorhome hire is expensive and I've done it three ways: - in a locally rented cheapo motor caravan - in a cheapo hire car (Bayswater Hire in Sydney) staying at motels and eating at Golf & Bowling Clubs and Returned Ex-Servicemen's clubs (there's at least one in every small town, sometimes all three) and sometimes pubs - in an Appollo Motorhomes 4WD based on a Toyota Landcruiser when we went outback, into the Red Centre and along 'corrugateds'. The cost was in the same order. To an extent, you get what you pay for, but a Brits/ Maui/ Kiwi (plus other names - all the same company) motorhome restricts you to hardtop (the black stuff) which is quite restricting. If either of you want a suggested itinerary, I'm happy to oblige, but first tell me what you like - scenery, activity, coast, mountains, history, etc. I've done NSW/Victoria lots of times so I've covered most of what there is by now. Email me at my old address which will soon be defunct: mmmquery@aol.com

Archived