Motorhoming in Spain

Neal

Afternoon all.

We have taken the plunge and taken early retirement to Spain.

Sadly that will mean we will be driving back to the UK at some point this Spring to sell our current Bessacarr E560, should anyone be interested - 2007 plate and 33,000 miles on the clock. Having done that the idea is to buy a new Benimar 294/296 on a Spanish plate. I understand from previous forum comments that the Spanish are not keen on replating a UK MoHo.

We are on the Costa Blanca and it looks as if there are a couple of dealers in either Elche or Murcia, with the latter being the Benimar dealer. Relying on Google, it seems there are not as many dealers as the UK and certainly no Nationwide equivalents of say Marquis.

My question is, do the Spanish have an equivalent magazine(s) such as MMM or Practical Motorhome.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Neal.

Guest pelmetman
Neal - 2019-03-03 12:38 PM

Afternoon all.

Sadly that will mean we will be driving back to the UK at some point this Spring to sell our current Bessacarr E560, should anyone be interested - 2007 plate and 33,000 miles on the clock. Having done that the idea is to buy a new Benimar 294/296 on a Spanish plate. I understand from previous forum comments that the Spanish are not keen on replating a UK MoHo.

We are on the Costa Blanca and it looks as if there are a couple of dealers in either Elche or Murcia, with the latter being the Benimar dealer. Relying on Google, it seems there are not as many dealers as the UK and certainly no Nationwide equivalents of say Marquis.

My question is, do the Spanish have an equivalent magazine(s) such as MMM or Practical Motorhome.

Perhaps you need to do the maths ;-) ..........If your happy with your camper, why sell it? :-S ......

Just re plaited my 1996 Toyota Camry that I bought off ebay for £901 purely to tow my 3k Carlight caravan out too Spain ..........I expect the final bill will be about 1500 quid ;-) .......

Which is peanuts when compared to selling and buying campers :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 6:43 PM

Afternoon all.

Perhaps you need to do the maths ;-) ..........If your happy with your camper, why sell it? :-S ......

Just re plaited my 1996 Toyota Camry that I bought off ebay for £901 purely to tow my 3k Carlight caravan out too Spain ..........I expect the final bill will be about 1500 quid ;-) .......

Spanish reg car towing a UK caravan&trailor is illegal here .

Guest pelmetman
BKen1 - 2019-03-03 5:55 PM

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 6:43 PM

Afternoon all.

Spanish reg car towing a UK caravan&trailor is illegal here .

Eh? :-S ..........I thought the OP had a motorhome? ;-) ...........

But if you're referring to me......our UK caravan will be collected from site by our local storage folk, no doubt by a Spanish registered vehicle 8-) ........

But I'm assuming they have insurance for that kinda thing :D .......

Seeing as they have millions of pounds of yachts campers & caravans onsite ;-) .......

My understanding is that it’s almost impossible to replace a UK motorhome onto a Spanish plate.

Clearly I’ve not tried yet, but that is the perceived wisdom etc. Is that wrong? Should we be keeping the Bessacarr and simply changing the plates?

Thanks.

Will try the suggested magazine, thanks for the suggestion.

Guest pelmetman
Neal - 2019-03-03 9:46 PM

My understanding is that it’s almost impossible to replace a UK motorhome onto a Spanish plate.

Clearly I’ve not tried yet, but that is the perceived wisdom etc. Is that wrong? Should we be keeping the Bessacarr and simply changing the plates?

Thanks.

Will try the suggested magazine, thanks for the suggestion.

Contact your local Geestor, you can probably track one down via any english speaking garage, you will need a NIE number and a padron, but I assume you have those if you've moved out here ;-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Neal - 2019-03-04 6:39 AM

Who is a Geestor?

Yes we have NIE and Padron.

Thanks.

Sorry my typo..... it's Gestor ..........They are people who, for a fee will do all the paperwork for you ;-) ........

You could ask at your local ITV station or other local expats, I got my car done through the storage facility I use out here.

Hi Neal, you could try Hispavan, they are based in Almeria (probably a couple of hours drive from you). They speak both Spanish and English and offer a full import service as well as sales of new and second hand vehicles and accessories. They are currently trying to source an air con unit for our van and are the only company in Spain that have really gone all out to help us. Their details are as follows;

HISPAVAN

PARQUE INDUSTRIAL

EL REAL, CALLE GARCEL

F14

04628, ANTAS, ALMERIA

TEL 0034 687 845 730

Andrea.

Archived