Mystery metal plates

Guest Fred

Hi I have found some damp in our 1990 Swift Kontiki 600/5. Just under the lounge window, near to the drivers seat. I have taken the panel off(itis an area of about 18" x 24") no problem but, I am mystified as to the purpose of the four metal plates, each about 1.5" x 4" which I have found under the boarding. These plates are not screwed into any thing, just pressed into the foam and held in place by the panel. The only thing that I can think of is that the shell of this motorhome was used for different layouts and that these plates were used to screw furniture/cookers etc into. Any other theories?? Also, anyone else had damp in this location, if so did you find where it was getting in??? Fred

Fred, regarding metal plates no idea. Damp try the sealing round the window, but as thats the obvious it is possibly somewhere else but you have to start somewhere. Have you got a top box? Now for some reason Manufacturers build Mhomes hopefully to keep the wet stuff out, but when you have a top box fitted the Dealer makes about 6 big holes in the roof for screws to hold the top box on. Has anyone ever heard of a boat yard drilling holes in the bottom of a boat to fix a box to carry junk around in!!!!!!. Seriously though the water could be coming in from any seam around the area. Its trial and error. David

Archived