NAVMAN G.P.S.

Guest David Powell

Guest David Powell
Has anyone tried the NAVMAN GPS 4460.or the GARMAN GPS 10 pocket size Sat.Navs? they look quite good and have the basic requirements, and can be used anywhere, 'van,car,bike, etc. the saleman says they are marvellous...but they all say that.

Guest Mel B
We've recently bought a Mio PDA with Co-Pilot Live 5 on it. We went with this option as it is one of the cheaper ways to get a system, it can be moved around from vehicle to vehicle or you can walk around with it. Also, as it is a PDA rather than a dedicated SatNav system we can use it as a diary/calendar, to store contact details, view digital photos, play MP3s, produce and display existing word, excel etc documents ... you can upload this documents from your PC at home and download ones you've produced on the PDA back to the PC! It'll do internet connections subject to you having an account with a ISP, email, note-taker, voice recorder, it has a calculator. It is basically a mini computer and works with a storage card in place of the hard drive on a computer, you can just have as big or small a card as you need, or several if you wish, with the SatNav software on one and another for the other bits and pieces. One other benefit as we see it is that if for some reason a better SatNav system comes on the market you will more than likely be able to get it for the PDA and therefore not be restricted to the system you got in the first place which I believe is the case with the dedicated SatNav systems. The 'word on the street' is to go for a PDA (which operates with Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system) and not for a Palm system which are not as well supported and are probably going to be the looser in this game (a bit like Betamax and VHS videos). Also, it's compatibility with home PC packages is a distinct bonus. Make sure whatever you get has a built in GPS receiver otherwise you won't be able to take it out of your vehicle as the separate GPS will need powering-up from the vehicle. There is a website if you want to have a look at which gives more info about the operating software: www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx The last I checked you could get a brand new Mio PDA with Co-Pilot Live 5 for around £399 with full UK street detailed mapping and European main road mapping, but you do have to pay an extra charge for the detailed European street mapping (which I think you have to with other systems in any case). We got ours off eBay for £260 including postage - brand new, never used, someone had had it supplied from work but then changed jobs so didn't need it. Oh, and we got the European detailed street mapping as well! Oh, a word or warning, you can confuse SatNav systems! My husband didn't turn right when told to and on realising his mistake he reversed the car rather than turn it around, however, the SatNav thought we had turned round and told us to turn the wrong way ... we'd have ended up in a ditch if we had!!! Happy hunting!

Guest Paul
I would agree with Mel B on going for the PDA rather than a dedicated unit for the same reasons. I would however suggest you look at the Navman PiN 100 or 300, same unit as Mel suggests i.e. Mio 168 Digiwalker badged Navman but with Smart ST V2 or V3 respectively, V3 being superior, both come with full European down to street level mapping in the purchase price and can be bought for as low as £239. My recommendation would be www.expansys.com, though they are not the cheapest.

Guest John P
Try www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk They are very reliable with competitive prices and day after delivery. Based in N.E. they delivered to Oxfordshire in 12 hours.

Guest David Powell
Thank you all for your advise, it has set me on the right road so to speak. I see what you mean about getting a PDA rather than a dedicated GPS. I know now why an old pal of mine was sent in the opposite direction after he reversed out of a wrong turning!

Guest Mel B
Fortunately, whilst we're still getting used to our system I track our route on a map and so when ours tried to send us south instead of north when we pulled out of a CL over the early May bank holiday weekend, I spent 5 minutes convincing my husband that I was right and the system was wrong! Now I've got TWO 'people' to argue with ... and I was still right!!!!! (Smug or what!). At least I can disconnect one of them but I haven't found out where my husbands batteries go yet to remove his!!! Any suggestions??????

Archived