Narcotic gas alarms

Guest Derek Uzzell

Guest Derek Uzzell
If you are concerned over the possibility of criminals entering your motorhome after they have rendered you unconscious via narcotic gas, but not so concerned that you are prepared to splash out the £125-or-so price of alarms being asked in leisure magazine adverts, then take heart. Browsing through the WAECO catalogue I came across a product called "MAGIC SAFE gas sensor". This claims to detect a range of narcotic gases and issues an audible and visual alarm signal. The WAECO Ref. No. is MSG-150 and the retail price is £59.98 (VAT inc.) This is advertised as a new product and I can't find anything about it on the WAECO website (www.waeco.co.uk), so if you are interested, you'll have to contact the company for fuller details. On a mildly-related subject, I noticed a piece in the new "Camping in France" magazine (scrounged (naturally!) at the NEC) called "Sleeping gas or hot air?" This mentioned in passing that, while staying at a friend's villa near Cannes, Trinny and Susannah (of "What Not to Wear" TV-programme fame) had belongings stolen when burglars introduced a gas (thought to be chloroform) into the house. I know it's unkind, but I immediately thought what poetic justice it would be if the thieves had pinched all their posh clothes! (Blokes, if this means nothing to you, ask your wife to explain. Ladies, if this means nothing to you, congratulations on your good taste in TV viewing.)

Hi Derek Who ARE Trinny & Susannah Quite seriously though Is there a detector for the Camping Gas, Propane and Butane used by Caravaner & MH owners With onboard gas locker as opposed to those on the A frame of caravans. I think we are in more danger from these gas leaks Does any body know of a suitable Propane & Butane gas detector

Guest bryantee
Standard fitting on Yachts. go to any chandlers,choice of 3 or 4 different makes.I use SF from Southhampton. One or two sensors.about £95 mark. Dont get the sensors wet.Replacement sensors about £30.Fit them low down as the gas is heavier than air.hence the problem with yachts and a gas filled bilge.One spark an Good byeee.

Guest Derek Uzzell
PeteC: The WAECO brochure's blurb for their alarm begins "How do you know that gas from an onboard supply has leaked into your mobile home? Probably only when it is too late... The MAGIC SAFE gas sensor guards you from dangerous surprises." In fact, the 'narcotic gases' the advert specifically cites as being detected are those based on ether, chloroform, butane (so that's Campingaz too of course), ethane and trichlorethane - propane is not mentioned. Compared with caravan practice, motorhome gas-lockers shouldn't present an increased risk of gas leaks due to their onboard location because they OUGHT to be hermetically sealed from the motorhome's interior space. For all types of road leisure-vehicle I would suggest that faulty shut-off valves, loosened pipework joints, or the appliances themselves will be the main culprits for any gas leakage in the living-area. And small 'safety holes' in the motorhome floor to aid LPG escape won't be much use if it's the hob that's spewing out gas. That's why it's important the integrity of motorhome gas systems be tested regularly. I'm certain you're right though that accidental LPG leakage is far more of a potential risk to motorcaravanners than deliberate insertion of narcotic gases into the vehicle. Generally: Looking at the gas-alarm adverts in MMM's classified pages, I notice that every product does things slightly differently, with one (Sleep-C-Cure) claiming to detect carbon monoxide as well as LPG and narcotic gases. It seems to me that, if one is in the market for a gas-alarm, the best thing to do is obtain the technical details for each product then decide what's most likely to be suitable.

Guest Brian Phillips
I purchased a smoke/carbonmonoxide alarm in P&Q (£34) and an LPG alarm from SF Detection which I'm assured would activate with ether which I was told is the gas being used in these robberys, Price of that one was about £44 Tel No01202 645577 Brian

Guest David Powell
G.A.S.Plug...Narcotic gas alarm £74.49 12/24V Plugs into cigar lighter socket...looks good...www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk

Archived