Narcotic gas attacks

Guest Mark Barfield

Guest Mark Barfield
Was trying to canvas the views of this group about the need for a narcotic gas alarm system. We have been travelling extensivley in france for the past six years (mostly with a caravan) and have often stayed over at M Way SVS. Never had a problem at all until last year between Xmas & N Year just S of Lyon somebody attempted to break in via the cab door (Ducato). Door was opened and the hinges squeeked a bit waking me up. Nothing got stolen and we put the alarm on to prevent furter problems. This has got me thinking about the need for a gas alarm. We ahve 2 small kids and I dont want to take any risks but do want to use the vehicle as intended and have a flexible approach to travel. I would appreciate your advise. Are gas attacks common is it an expenditure that I need to make or am i better getting beefed up security for the cab doors (these appear to be the weak points)> We want to carry on travelling this way and plan a number of trips across the water in 05 including a trip to the med coast and into Italy. Thoughts Please??

Guest Bill Ord
This is an old subject that occasionally gets an airing on letter pages and web-sites. The simple question you have to ask yourself is this; if gas attacks were a reality where are the bodies? Administering anesthetics is a very skilled job and even under hospital conditions people die. I have never met anyone who has been subject to a gas attack but I have met lots of people who have had their vans broken into. I would be very interested to hear of substansiated cases of narcotic gas incidents. I may be wrong and I hope I am but this subject seems to be more urban myth than reality; lets hear of some documented cases. Bill Ord

Guest Derek Uzzell
A large percentage of the letters I've read about criminals entering motorhomes/caravans while the occupants were sleeping have involved overnighting on Continental motorway (or fast trunk-road) parking areas. So, if you want to reduce the risk of night-time break-ins, that's the first thing to avoid doing, together with not stopping in roadside lay-bys or picnic areas. Although I'm personally unconvinced that gas attacks are a real-world threat, the technique reported being employed should work in principle. However, one thing is certain - when thieves do break into a vehicle during the night they enter via the doors! Consequently, as you are concerned about security, your first task should be to fit dead-locks to all doors (ensuring of course that you don't convert your motorhome into a prison that you can't get out of yourselves in an emergency). Earlier-model Ducato/Boxer cab-doors are renowned for being easily opened by thieves and even motorhomes with tougher door locks can often be entered simply by cutting round a rubber side-window gasket. The gas alarms advertised in MMM all seem to have much the same price (Isn't that odd!!) but some appear to be more sophisticated than others. All have an LPG-sensing capability, so, even though it's statistically highly improbable you will be gas-attacked on your travels, the alarm could still be useful for detecting gas leaks within the 'van.

Guest Mark Barfield
Thanks for your help. Can anyone recomend adeadlocking system for a 2001 (prefacelift) Ducato?? Have a good alarm system but want to stop it going off in the 1st place. Thanks MB

I have treated 2 confirmed attacks with 'anaesthetic gas' on victims overnighting South of Lyon on the autroute. Both families concerned were in caravans at diffeerent aires at diferent times in July. The gas being used is ether or very similar. It has a very high level of safety and there are unlikely to be any casualties even children ( see Bill Ord's body count). I am old enough to have used this medically and can vouch for this. It is very easy to obtain this gas on the continent in both gaseous and liquid form. Very easy to pour through ventilation roof vents ( on most continental vans this is at the sleeping end)or roof windows. Modern anaesthetic gases could not be used in this way. I have tested two gas alarms and found them to be very sensitive. They even work when cooking mussels ( as in Moules and chips. I agree than many cases of robbery occur when people driving too far at the begininning of their holiday get overtired and hence sleep soundly, with their mouths open. They wake up dehydrated - insufficient fluid in the previous 24hours, with a headache and with a sore throat and assume that they have been gassed. Funny how it all happens South of Lyon. Should people target reaching here in their first night since the ferry?

For piece of mind these alarms are only about £100 pounds,so if you do alott of continental touring,get one fitted.Its cheap insurance.. Good luck, Gordon..

Archived