New Avtex Travel 2 sat nav - how to improve speaker volume

Recently bought the new Avtex (Garmin) travel 2 sat nav . Excellent connectivity via smartphone to traffic, mobile cameras etc so well pleased.

However the speaker volume output,even on the 100% setting and the clearest female voice, is poor in the Ducato cab. We've got it mounted on the dashboard air vent so near the steering wheel.

Avtex tell me that the unit cannot be bluetooth paired with an external speaker as it's bluetooth 'in' only.

Has anyone rigged up a mini speaker amplifier to get better sound from a sat nav? If so, what kit have you used?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated. 8-)

Tinkering with modern electronics can be impractical because of all the surface-mounted components on the PCBs, and of course the compromising the manufacturer's guarantee. But taking a feed from the internal speaker leads to an external amplifier and speak should be practicableif you have the electronic and soldering skills.

Alternatively I suppose that if you are anywhere near my age group you could get a hearing test and if necessary a hearing aid. My wife is always telling me to cancel the indicators these days because I can no longer hear the ticking noise.

StuartO - 2019-06-18 10:30 AM

Tinkering with modern electronics can be impractical because of all the surface-mounted components on the PCBs, and of course the compromising the manufacturer's guarantee. But taking a feed from the internal speaker leads to an external amplifier and speak should be practicableif you have the electronic and soldering skills.

Alternatively I suppose that if you are anywhere near my age group you could get a hearing test and if necessary a hearing aid. My wife is always telling me to cancel the indicators these days because I can no longer hear the ticking noise.

Hmmm.. thanks StuartO.

The sat nav is sealed so opening it up is not an option.

My hearing is good for a septagenarian thanks! Its definitely the speaker volume which is defective.

thebishbus - 2019-06-18 4:42 PM

You could use a small voice amplifier with microphone. attach the mic to the sat nav close to the speaker. Look on on the internet, there may be something suitable.

Brian B.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had the same thought and there are several mini speakers available. Just trying to find one that's on all the time like a PA system.

Archived