New Ducato missing water/engine compartment drain pipe?

Guest machra

I am aware that the topic of water draining from the windscreen into the engine compartment on the new Ducato has been covered numerous times. However, having just picked up my new Ducato PVC and giving it the once over I find that while there is a large drain hole on the drivers side of the plastic tray located under the windscreen there is no pipe to drain water away. Instead it appears that water just drains into the engine compartment. Looking on page 185 of the new MMM, Jan 2012, I see there is a picture of the under bonnet area in question and see that the vehicle in the picture appears to have a drain pipe attached to the drain hole in question. Can I ask has everyone else a drain pipe attached to this drain hole or not? Drain hole is about 3cm in diameter.

Hi, yes I can confirm that there is a drain pipe there to take the water away, however, I did notice that on mine it had become in lipped and was down in the nether regions of the engine compartment, so yours may have suffered the same fate. I clipped it back on with "expedient force" (bad temperedly cursing Fiat build quality as I did so - already had a hole in the AC system due to their building) and it has stayed there ever since. It is possible that yours was either never fitted when built, or has fallen off at some stage.

If it is a "new" new van then get on to the dealers about it. Come to think of it, if you bought it from a dealer anyway, still get on to them about it......... If private sale then you might have to either fabricate or buy a length of hose

Been in to see the friendly Fiat dealer. Guy from Parts Dept has a look says pipe is missing and book van in to be fixed. Booked van in at Service Desk for Wed morning. I say "If you speak to parts man he knows what is missing and can see if parts are in". Service desk says "Need to get it looked at by a mechanic first". "Once he has confirmed part then we get hold of Fiat warranty dept due to missing part not being spotted on PDI". "It is not a case of a replacement but a mis-build". Once Fiat approval comes through you need to pring it back in to be fixed, once part is in of course. You couldnt make it up could you, and there was I thinking I was the customer and should be looked after etc etc.

Mind you Service Dept did say I had to get hold of my original dealer as the warranty had not been activated and there was nothing they could do until that was sorted.

Dont you just love owning a new van!!!!

Guest Tracker
machra - 2011-12-12 4:55 PM

Dunno! Never had and never fancied a new van and certainly ain't gonna start now!

I prefer to let someone else get the grey hairs sorting out the failings of manufacturers, converters and dealers and nothing I read on here makes me want to buy a new van!!

machra - 2011-12-12 4:55 PM.......................Mind you Service Dept did say I had to get hold of my original dealer as the warranty had not been activated and there was nothing they could do until that was sorted.

Make sure you do this, and that the date of first registration is accurately recorded, because that will set the date on which the warranty commences.

Failing the original dealer, if it would be quicker/more convenient, if you contact the Fiat UK warranty department they should be able to advise. In the past all they have needed is sight of the V5C registration document. A copy may be all that is required. A scanned and e-mailed .jpg or .pdf may be acceptable.

I'm a bit surprised the dealer you visited couldn't do this on Fiat's database themselves, on sight of the V5C. Worth asking?

I also have just collected a New Ducato pleased to say the drain pipe is fitted (first thing I checked) however why did they only fit one to the drivers side, my driveway slopes to the nearside (not a great deal) but on test filling with water the drain channel filled up and over-ran onto the engine on the passenger side before the water level reached the single driver side drain hole. as I wash the van in this position I fitted a second drain and pipe on the passenger side, this solved the problem.

Eggy - 2011-12-12 8:16 PM

why did they only fit one to the drivers side,

I agree eggy. I drilled a hole and inserted a length of flexible plastic piping on the passenger side of our Adria.

As an aside, it is worth checking that the factory fitted pipe has not become blocked. Ours was clogged with leaves and other debris.

Cattwg :-D

The first Ducato and its various cousins rolled out of the SEVEL factory in 1981 and suffered from from under bonnet water ingress as did its 1993 and 2006 successors. Here we are in 2011 umpteen facelifts later and there is still only one drain at the bottom of the screen. It does actually rain in Italy. see pic taken at Assisi

510555597_DampishAssisi.jpg.f9f8914bf9b76bc6091abc528c0d4002.jpg

The Fiat dealer has taken photographs and I am now waiting Fiats response to the miss-build warranty claim. Fiat dealer were adamant that they were unable to log into the Fiat computer system and activate the warranty. Don’t know why as Ford were able to when I had a similar issue at the first service of my Hobby Transit based van.

Interesting to note that some of you have added a second pipe on the passenger side of the scuttle. I have fixed a temporary bodge to mine so water is draining away now and not running all over the alternator etc.

However, I was out the other day in the rain looking under the bonnet and see that water drips onto the engine from the scuttle middle join as this is 'sealed' with a piece of foam. I think a bead of silicon is called for here. Also I noticed that water appears to be running off the bonnet hinge plates into the engine compartment. Well it appeared as such. As there are 2x drains for water from the windscreen into the scuttle section at its extremities, i.e. above the headlight panels, I can only deduce that water is finding its way down the windscreen and under the scuttle panel rather than over the windscreen to panel joint and into the scuttle tray. As it was raining at the time I gave up looking but think that I will investigate further. My initial thoughts are that I may run a bead of clear silicon sealer into the joint where the windscreen meets the scuttle panel.

Archived