New Motor home insurance problems

winewalker

We are in the process of buying a new motor home From AEG and have been told the Van needs to insured at the time it is registered with DVLA. We have gone through the process of insurances with Saga using the Vin number as instructed by AEG yet the Saga seemed reluctant and unaware that this is the normal way of doing things. My question is Can any one out here tell me if this is a normal procedure and if so why saga would only reluctantly give us a only a two week cover note till the vehicle is registered. Also what are peoples thought on Saga as an insurer thanks

We had same trouble last year . Insurance company's saying they can't insure a vehicle not registered as it doesn't exist. In the end did it through the car insurance (Churchill) but it took a phone call.coudnt get it on the net. Also it was a lot cheaper . hope this helps.

We purchased a new Bessacarr March this year and yes it was the same for us, we're insured with Caravan Guard they give a 14 day cover note which allows 4 days for the dealer to tax the vehicle and a further 10 days free cover from hand over day. So the annual renewal date will be 10 day's later.

Dave

I assume AEG are a dealer, if so there is no reason why they can't give you a registration number before it is registered. Dealers are allotted batches of reg numbers from DVLA and normally the dealer will offer you a choice of reg., numbers.

Same as Pete B, we ordered our new van last March for delivery at the end of May, we picked our number when we paid the deposit in March and they gave us a definite collection date for May, as soon as we had that we phoned the insurance up (it was a mid term change) and they done the rest, I asked what to do if the delivery was late for whatever reason they said no problem just let us know as soon as possible.

Pete

Same for us-once we got confirmed delivery date they gave us the registration number and they also informed DVLA it would be an immediate transfer to personalised plate. Insurance co. accepted it straight away. AEG should be able to tell you what your reg no. will be now

Mike

Archived