New Motorhome. Can I expect a discount with no p/x.

Mike88

I sold my panel van conversion last year and am now looking to buy another which will be brand new. Previously I have always part exchanged my motorhomes but now I have nothing to sell and want a replacement.

As I want a particular vehicle it is unlikely a stock purchase will be available so will have to place an order. In fact I might well purchase at the NEC Caravan and Motorhome show in September for a vehicle to be ready by the Spring of next year. Has anyone any idea what, if any, discount I should try to negotiate and expect to receive.

Thanks.

A discount is very certain, just shop around the various dealers and play one against the other. I would think something like 7% should be possible, even more if you are lucky.

Good luck and don't be afraid to walk out of the showroom. I did that when I bought my last car and within an hour the salesman phoned me with a much better offer of almost 10% off list.

Extras "thrown in" can be a good way to get added value. Mats, solar, extra battery, bike rack, tank of fuel, road tax, and so on.

H

Dealers will be anxious to offload 2016 models soon. You'll never get your ideal Moho, so

look at what they have in stock and make a daft offer. You could be lucky, just don't be shy about asking.

My daughter just got £4,000 off a new car as it was a 16 reg and 66 comes out in a week!

I don't think you can compare motor homes to cars , motor homes are built in far fewer numbers and more people appear to want them. I believe the dealers are sitting very smug at the moment knowing that certain homes won't sit around very long and some even have a waiting list.

In saying all of that I got around 7% without a px

The last time we bought new at the NEC (2013) we managed a 8% discount. It didn't end there however, as when we returned home we were still being contacted with increased discounts from the losing dealers. So the advice to be strong enough to walk away is sound. On the other hand be prepared to consider a local dealer, all other things being equal, a better deal if close to the figure you want, as travelling the length of the country with problems can soon make that high discount look second rate.

Ron

ron. - 2016-08-30 1:26 PM

The last time we bought new at the NEC (2013) we managed a 8% discount. It didn't end there however, as when we returned home we were still being contacted with increased discounts from the losing dealers. So the advice to be strong enough to walk away is sound. On the other hand be prepared to consider a local dealer, all other things being equal, a better deal if close to the figure you want, as travelling the length of the country with problems can soon make that high discount look second rate.

Ron

Totally agree with this - a local (-ish) dealer is worth his weight in gold, as it were, but only if he has a good reputation.

There is a dealer not too far from where we are, but no way would I ever buy from them, given the reputation of bad service and a distinct lack of interest in us at a proposed/ interested purchase stage...fortunately there are two other good dealers within quite easy access, both of whom we have dealt with on previous purchases, and in both cases have received excellent after sales service.

Ifbuying from a dealer say 150-200 miles from home, you have to factor in the now high cost of fuel, and time involved, if and when needed to return, which almost certainly you will, especially as many dealers are not interested to deal with warranty work or servicing if you didn't buy from them. .

ron. - 2016-08-30 1:26 PM

Ron

I agree, get your quotes of course but go to your local dealer last (they may even have a Salesman at the show) and lay it on the line, whats the best they can do against the competition. Might save a lot of travelling back and forth to a distant dealer.

Archived