New Schengen passport system

Barryd999

This may have already been covered

https://tinyurl.com/58h9aby4

I know there were concerns about working out your 90 days etc and also concerns that if you skipped out of Schengen say into Morocco or Croatia as a way of extending your 90 days without coming home you would need to make sure you got your passport stamped but if this system is to be in place at every external Schengen border then presumably it will deal with all of that so no need to worry?

It certainly puts paid to any thoughts of perhaps winging it a bit and staying longer not that I was planning on doing that.

Will it work with our current passports?

Probably sensible to insist on having your passport physically stamped for at least the year that the

transition to electronic 'stamping' comes into existence. They can only refuse, you're no

worse off. Brave is the traveller who video records and date stamps the refusal event !

For some the €7 charge for non EU Nats is gonna be the deal breaker !

teccer1234 - 2021-11-22 6:49 PM

so there is a benifit for being over 70 years old,,,, FREE

In these Covid days you have got to be a little suspicious about anyone giving something

gratis merely for being 70 or over, have you ever seen the film Soylent Green :-

I'll not be claiming, if I note the French ICU beds look to be oversubscribed !

Much is made of the 90 days in a rolling 180, but much less said about certain other

conditions such as an Anglophobic French Border official might impose if you don't bow and courtsey

in his sublime preosence. Such as insisting on €32.50 per day for your length of visit if staying

with friends or family. Or €62 per day if no pre-booked accommodation which could catch a few

m/homers out. Or €120 per day if staying in hotel etc etc. Happy days. 8-)

simian - 2021-11-22 8:20 PM

Much is made of the 90 days in a rolling 180, but much less said about certain other

conditions such as an Anglophobic French Border official might impose if you don't bow and courtsey

in his sublime preosence. Such as insisting on €32.50 per day for your length of visit if staying

with friends or family. Or €62 per day if no pre-booked accommodation which could catch a few

that's why next time I go I'll be going direct to the villa in spain via santander, avoiding the french

teccer1234 - 2021-11-22 10:14 PM

simian - 2021-11-22 8:20 PM

that's why next time I go I'll be going direct to the villa in spain via santander, avoiding the french

In the interest of clarity as far as I know, and I welcome being corrected, the charges you mention are not charges at all they are simply proof of means of subsistence .

In other words the French (and any other Schengen country border police, including Spain), can ask you to demonstrate you have sufficient funds for your visit. It's similar to the kind of questions you can be asked when entering the USA.

The article linked to here https://www.thelocal.fr/20210526/attestation-daccueil-what-to-do-if-you-cannot-get-the-certificate-for-a-visit-to-france/ provides more information.

According to the French Ministry of the Interior:

“To enter France, British tourists must therefore present

– an attestation d’accueil issued by the town hall (if they are staying in private accommodation) OR a hotel reservation (which can be replaced by a sum of €120 per person per day)

– proof of means of subsistence (€65 per day in the case of hotel accommodation or €32.50 in the case of an attestation d’accueil)

– a certificate of insurance for repatriation on medical grounds.”

It applies to all third party country nationals. So it is nor correct to say it is Anglophobic.

According to the article it appears to be a rule that is rarely checked. I have made three trips in my camper to France, Belgium, Germany, Italy in the last year and have not been asked for proof of funds on any. However I have the necessary bank statements to hand should anyone ask.

I should have noticed. But I didn't! Apologies.

But if you re not going to be charged then what are you fretting about?

The conditions are in place directly as a result of us becoming a third-country in relation to the EU. Hardly an outcome that can be the responsibility of anyone but ourselves. Getting Our Country back etc etc

Of course if you have actually been required to bow and curtsey in the sublime presence of the French Border police, you have my sympathy.

slowdriver - 2021-11-23 9:15 AM

I should have noticed. But I didn't! Apologies.

But if you re not going to be charged then what are you fretting about?

The conditions are in place directly as a result of us becoming a third-country in relation to the EU. Hardly an outcome that can be the responsibility of anyone but ourselves. Getting Our Country back etc etc

Of course if you have actually been required to bow and curtsey in the sublime presence of the French Border police, you have my sympathy.

The fact is that proof of having these funds at your disposal can be requested. Some folk may not have such ready

proof or indeed not have the necessary funds at all. Who knows when the French {or others) may apply this measure,

Thankfully I have no need to fret over this, but others might like to be reminded of these impositions courtesy of

the UKs new status. Didn't get my vote, my spiritual little corner of the EU voted 98% for the status quo, I'd have

gone along with that decision.

Bow and courtesy......just a jokey manner of speaking to illustrate a point. Obviously not very jokey sorry.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-21 10:29 AM

This may have already been covered

https://tinyurl.com/58h9aby4

I know there were concerns about working out your 90 days etc and also concerns that if you skipped out of Schengen say into Morocco or Croatia as a way of extending your 90 days without coming home you would need to make sure you got your passport stamped but if this system is to be in place at every external Schengen border then presumably it will deal with all of that so no need to worry?

It certainly puts paid to any thoughts of perhaps winging it a bit and staying longer not that I was planning on doing that.

Will it work with our current passports?

Just renewed my passport and paid £10 for the extra pages now looks like I'll not need them

Archived