New Speed Limiter Legislation

Guest Neal

Just gleaned this information regarding the speed limiter issue: The EU Speed Limiters Directive is being introduced by the UK Government on a phased basis. It means that previously exempt LGVs between 3.5 tonnes and 12.0 tonnes will be limited to the same maximum road speed as heavier LGVs and "Artics", which is 56mph. New vehicles registered after 1 Jan 2005: 3.5 to 12.0 tonnes used internationally - Jan 05 7.5 to 12.0 tonnes used in UK only - Jan 05 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes used in UK only - Jan 08 Retrofit i.e. vehicles first used from 1 Oct 2001 to 1 Jan 05: 3.5 to 12.0 tonnes used internationally - Jan 06 3.5 to 12.0 tonnes used in UK only - Jan 07 Newly speed limited vehicles are prohibited from the outside lane of 3 and 4 lane motorways. It is likely that once all the changes have taken place i.e. after 1 Jan 2008 the national motorway speed limit for goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and buses will be lowered. Restricting all vehicles in these classes to the same speed limit will reduce any competitive advantage of older vehicles (pre Oct 2001) which have no requirement for the fitment of speed limiters. Buses with more than 8 passenger seats (regardless of weight) will also be required to be fitted with a road speed limiter restricting the maximum speed to 62mph. Further information can be found from the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) on 0870 60 60 440 or www.vosa.gov.uk It seems very clear that these regulations only apply to GOODS vehicles, those whose registration class is Large Goods Vehicle (LGV). All motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes should be registered as Private Heavy Goods (PHG) as opposed to PLG. Motorhomes over 7.5 tonnes require the DRIVER to hold a LGV licence and should not be confused with VOSA regulations relating to LGVs.

Guest Bill Ord
The speed limit for motorhomes (camping cars)in Spain is already 56kph as of Jan. 1 2005 regardless of weight as far as I understand. Anybody know any different? Bill Ord

Thanks Bil & Neal i did say this as far back as June/July on my return from Holland where we picked it up on the Nederlands TV Then I was told in nouncertain words by a German on another (no longer free forum) that my information was incorrect and I had begun to doubt what I had heard and my translation from Nederlander The reason given was to save fuel If what I heard is correct there was also a motion to introduce (at a later date) the same speed limits for cars

Archived