New Zealand & Aus insurances & taxes

Guest Harry

We are in the last throws of selling up and our first destination is NZ we hope to buy a motorhome there possibly selling it there before moving to Austrailia for another year and doing the same again and possibly going to USA before we get too old. 58 & 60 years young.Has anyone got any idea if one can get insurances for vehicle,health ect in those counties without having a permanent address. Also we have read that there are places in these counties where one can buy second hand motorhomes does anyone know which town/region is best. We will be newby's although we have caravaned 30+ years ago when things were diferent?

Have fun! Vehicle insurance should not be a problem - it is for ozzies when they visit us, but not for us visiting them. Health insurance may be a bigger problem, but not insuperable. Note that the UK has a reciprocal health arrangement with Oz (and I think with NZ). You need to visit an Oz Post Office for forms and to register (obviously the E111 card does not apply down under). Check the Dept of Health website - it will have details somewhere. Locations to buy/sell motorhomes do change somewhat, so for this and the definitive answers to the above questions, start Googling for 'motor insurance australia', and your other topics and then send some emails. In Oz, I found the RACV (RAC of Victoria) enormously helpful. They have the best campsite guide (covering the whole of Oz) I've seen anywhere and superb maps. They will undoubtedly know the answers to your vehicle questions - insurance, buying, selling, etc. So get on the ineternet and you'll soon find up-to-date info on everything you need to know.

Thanks Mel for that I will now start to look for motor ins Austrailia and health insurance as well. We have provisionally set a date to leave at the end of summer 2006 and are gradually downsizing is the term my wife is using selling lots of bits and pieces and I start beginning of March to sell things like new CNC Router which we bought before we decided we had had enough silly me. Regards Harry

I'm sure you have thought of it already, but watch out for Visa requirments, and the length of time you can stay for. It's a visit to the US embassy for longer than 3 months, with proof that you are coming back again - might be difficult if you are selling up. And I think something like 6 months in any 18 months in NZ. We have decided to do Europe first!

Thanks Mand C I have heard that it is possible to stay longer if you take all your money with you to Austrailia and invest it there, which is something we will research. Our daughter has been in New Zealand for 4 years in June and we did ask at the York Emigration exhibition last year and they said it may be possible that we could stay there due to our daughter but we would not want to at this stage we just want our grey years travel which we have not had the time or the money to do till now. We also want to go the furthest point before we get too old or infirm to enjoy life before coming back to Europe.

Taking all your money to Oz is a definite exchange rate risk if you plan later to bring it back to the UK. And it won't guarantee you residence rights if you're retired: the Ozzies expect you to take a LOT of dosh in so that you can pay your way to the grave. (Seems reasonable really, since you're not contributing anything other than money to the local economy!) I believe NZ has similar rules.

Archived