New to Motorhoming

SteveM64

Hi, I have been toying with the idea for years and after what’s happened with the virus decided in taking the plunge into buying a new motorhome. any advice would be greatly appreciated. My budget is around £50k and only need a 2 berth, I have millions of questions. Initially looking at maybe an Elddis Accordo 135/120 or Swift Escape 622. Like the idea of a rear lounge and also thinking I should stick below 6.5metres. Love to get any advice from you veteran motorhomers. Thanks in anticipation

For a total newbie, esp. one intending spending 10s of thousands, I would say rent a van similar to what you think would suit, from there you will know if motor homing suits you and if the layout meets your needs.

Hi Steve

Welcome to the Forum.

It’s going to be a great time to own a MH with the flight and hotel changes.

Make sure the bed is comfy, some of the basic models come with a basic mattress and look into the fact if you can use the loo easily during the night.

It’s ideal I’d the table golds to give more room to walk around your lounge ect.

The shower more than ever will be a great advantage due to toilets on sites maybe being closed.

We only use our own facilities and are very careful when filling the water tank from a tap.

It’s a great life specially in France, motorhomes are most welcome.

Look into the supplier, we now use Hayes leisure and most owners will have stories to tell, good and bad.

Den

Hi, thanks for the feedback I have rented several times in New Zealand and also used to borrow my late in-laws Talisman many years ago. Looked at 2nd hand vans but it appears for a 2-3 yr old van I would be paying similar monies, only saving £3-4 K

SteveM64 - 2020-05-20 6:26 PM

Thanks for your advice, just a quickie what do you mean by ‘table golds’ thanks so some good points mentioned.

I think that was a typo for 'folds'!!!

And if a good bed is a 'must have' then look for a model with a fixed bed. There are quite a few complaints of beds made from lounge seats 'pieced together' being uncomfortable.

eg https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Seating-foam-mattress-issues/55228/

Keith.

SteveM64

You might consider obtaining this publication that should go a long way towards addressing your basic questions and options.

https://pocketmags.com/buying-your-first-motorhome-magazine

We bought our 1st motorhome in 1998 (a near-new Herald); our 2nd in 2005 (a new left-hand-drive Hobby self-imported from Germany); our 3rd in 2015 (a LHD Rapido bought in the UK). All three were ‘right at the time’ and replacement was driven by changing priorities. With hindsight I know what I should have bought in 1998 (a LHD Ford Transit-based Pilote) but I would never have made that choice back then.

Received wisdom is that you should list five ’set in stone’ must-have requirements and, if any of these are not met, the vehicle MUST NOT be purchased. In your case, if a £50K maximum expenditure, a 6.5m maximum length, a rear lounge and new not secondhand are all must-haves, that will significantly reduce your choices.

Hi Derek,

Thanks for that and have downloaded it, should be a great help and I also take on board and appreciate your feedback, yes you are right about the budget, may need to lift it a bit. Wife was keen on a rear lounge but also needs a comfy bed and decent shower. Just looked at Auto Trails Tribute F60/62 under 6m with drop down bed so that maybe an option.

Buy used, the dealers are awash with trade-in campers, Two years old,five thousand on the clock, probably loads of goody extras,And,cash buyer! the market is your oyster! Pensions are dumping,mass redundancies, the last generation to enjoy this expensive pastime, Sorry to sound so gloomy,but saying like it is.If buying new. go in hard. Get the v,a,t off as a minimum. and a decent warranty. Never been a better time for you GOOD LUCK :-D

If I was allocating a budget of £50K for a new motorhome purchase then the last thing I'd be considering is a new Swift, Elddis or Autotrail. The modern day quality of these vans can only be described as utter twonk and you run the risk of damp, severe leaks and big bits falling off in the first year of ownership.

I would buy an older continental van and get something which I personally deem 'fit for purpose'.

That said, I would also consider Nyk's comment above.

Bop - 2020-05-23 8:40 AM

If I was allocating a budget of £50K for a new motorhome purchase then the last thing I'd be considering is a new Swift, Elddis or Autotrail. The modern day quality of these vans can only be described as utter twonk and you run the risk of damp, severe leaks and big bits falling off in the first year of ownership.

I would buy an older continental van and get something which I personally deem 'fit for purpose'.

That said, I would also consider Nyk's comment above.

Agreed. We would have to think very carefully about buying another Elddis. Don't get me wrong, you get a lot for your money and they are nice inside, but they are built by accountants. If they can save 20p on sealant, they will. The penny pinching that goes on in their construction has to be seen to be believed. We've had, sink and washbasin drain fittings assembled upside down and (both) leaking. Wet floor round the plastic wheel arch liners (no sealant round them). At 5 years old the body capping round all the back edges is loose and needs resetting on with sealant. No screws in the water tank. No screws holding the fridge in. Plus probably many other things we've got to look forward to that hasn't happened yet. They are absolutely thrown together by an unskilled workforce.

Having said all that, they are many thousands of pounds cheaper than the competition so if you are handy and consider it a part built van it could be for you. If we were to buy another it would be a PVC.

I can't help having a structured approach to buying very expensive caravans and motorhomes. This means setting out what do I want to achieve, how, and what do I need to do. Sorry!

For me, identifying the right van is time consuming, negotiating the right price is awkward as I don't like haggling but I can, finding a good local dealer who will sell me the right van at the right price is nigh impossible, but all these issues require sound decision making which is why the approach mentioned by Derek Uzzell is probably the most important aspect of buying a motorhome. Make the wrong decision and the research is wasted, the price is not cheap if you have to change model, time wasted driving to a dealer and having to argue the toss on warranty claims is a pain, especially if you have to take time of work or away from other important responsibilities.

I use a similar approach to Derek to narrow down the options, a weighted scoring system for assessing the narrow options on 'nice to haves' which includes assessing dealerships, That gives me a soundly based decision. Then, because buying a motorhome is also an emotional decision for me, I use a gut based assessment looking at pros and cons and the risk of making the wrong decision.

If both approaches give me the same decision, I know it's a 100% way to go. My brain and heart are in harmony!

Downside is it takes us about 3 months to buy a new van.

Archived