Newbie and thermal screen cover

Barcobird

Having purchased our first MH only several months ago we thought an important lesson learnt should be passed on to anyone in a similar position.

Having suffered both heat and condensation we invested in a thermal exterior cover for our windscreen and it has turned out to be one of the best "accessories" we have purchased.

We don't understand why firstly it is not a standard item that comes with the vehicle and secondly the dealer that sold us the MH didn't suggest it as we believe it's something you can't do without.

There are obviously other methods used, interior padded foil, a blanket etc. We just thought anyone new to this pastime should be informed *-)

There are potential downsides...

1: An effective external windscreen cover will need to be made of several layers of insulating material and should be rain-proof (or at least rain-resistant). The resultant cover will be bulky (storage in the motorhome will need to be considered), far from light and not cheap, particularly where A-class models are concerned.

2: A-class motorhomes may need modifications (eg. studs screwed into the bodywork) to allow the cover to be firmly secured. For motorhomes that retain the original cab, the design of the cover and how it is attached varies from manufacturer to manufacturer with some methods being significantly better than others. I’ve modified the Soplair “Thermocover” I obtained for my Rapido (free of charge as I 'won' the £150 cover) where it attaches around the external mirrors. How well a cover fits also varies.

3: It’s stating the obvious, but in bad weather conditions (high winds, driving rain) fitting or removing an external windscreen cover will be no fun. My Rapido has interior Remis concertina blinds, plus thermal curtains. These are very quick to deploy and pull back, but not great when it comes to preventing condensation. In France in April I fitted the Soplair cover every night and condensation still formed on the inside of the cab window-glass. In June I never bothered to fit the Soplair cover and just used the Remis blinds and curtains - there was a little condensation some mornings, but this was easily removed.

I don't really understand why Derek thinks external covers are heavy (mine is as light as a feather) nor that fitting to A Class MHs presents special or difficult problems because ours fit very well and is secure in place without any adaptations at all - it fits our B series Hymer like a glove.  They also work extremely well to minimise condensation, even in very cold conditions.

The downside is perhaps that they are a bit bulky in the bag and you have to get out and fit them rather than simply draw them like curtains but for the benefit they convey it's not really a substantial downside to us.  There even a clevel pull-down panel to allow you to let daylight in if you want to leave them in place all day when you're staying on site.  We don't bother using them at all in Summer because the risk of condensation is much less.

We use our external screen all of the time and in all weathers too. It takes me less than two minutes to throw up and then it's 'snug as bugs' for the rest of the night. Our current van suffers from a cold cab area at night but the silver screen sorts the problem in no time.

If it gets wet and we want to drive off somewhere then we simply bung it in the shower area - job done.

Derek you are a half empty glass not half full (lol) or Victor Meldew *-)

Our cover fits like a glove, takes no more than two minutes to fit. Being an A class it fits round the top of the door on one side and through the window with three rubber suckers on the other, so no external fittings whatsoever. It certainly weighs less than 10 kilos is waterproof and cost £350 so not that expensive compared to some. It makes a vast difference with the sun and keeps the inside cool and you don't have to remove it too see out because it has a centre mesh panel, which you simply pull the centre section down on Velcro strips.

Just about the best thing we bought and wouldn't be without, even bought one for my work van so no more clearing the frost off the screen in the mornings (those days now gone thankfully)

Just a little bulky but we had plenty of storage space.

StuartO - 2017-07-10 8:18 AMI don't really understand why Derek thinks external covers are heavy (mine is as light as a feather) nor that fitting to A Class MHs presents special or difficult problems because ours fit very well and is secure in place without any adaptations at all - it fits our B series Hymer like a glove.  They also work extremely well to minimise condensation, even in very cold conditions.

The downside is perhaps that they are a bit bulky in the bag and you have to get out and fit them rather than simply draw them like curtains but for the benefit they convey it's not really a substantial downside to us.  There even a clevel pull-down panel to allow you to let daylight in if you want to leave them in place all day when you're staying on site.  We don't bother using them at all in Summer because the risk of condensation is much less.

I didn’t say external covers were “heavy”, my Soplair cover weighs about 4kg which, in my book is “far from light” and definitely not “light as a feather”. There’s no “perhaps” about them being bulky when rolled up - they are - and the less expensive versions do not have the pull-down panel capability. Storing a wet cover in the shower area is fine if the motorhome has a separate shower. My Rapido’s shower is integrated into the toilet compartment that would become unusable (or very difficult to use) if a wet cover were bunged into it.

We use our external cover nearly all the time. It takes no time to put up or take down. Even if its breezy it isn't such a problem as the wipers can be used to hold it in place as I roll it up along the windscreen. It really is no bother and it stows in the rear boot area of our van conversion under the permanent bed.

Much more thermally efficient than blinds and much less condensation too. We've had ours for 7 years now and its still in good condition.

Had covers, internal, supplied with our new RT600G back in 2010.  First cold snap we had lots of condensation so started loking into external covers.  After some research we settled on Taylormade and hey presto...no more condensation and the added advantage of ease of fitting.  Those who say they are a pain/difficult/in the rain etc to fit I disagree.  It takes but a couple of minutes to fit and the same to remove and store.  As for a wet cover the TM cover comes with it's own stowage bag so I don't see the problem.  if it's put away wet and not going to be used again that trip simply dry it off at home.....simples.  As for weight....again I see no problem.  It's really not much more than a couple bottles of wine or 'other liquid' carrying containers on the MH.

Quite simply.....external screens have a great many advantages and as far as I can see 'no' disadvantages.

Thermal screens are great, - we started life without one and endured a soaking wet windscreen on the inside, - in winter the cover avoids this problem and keeps the van warmer, in summer they keep the van cool, and it provides privacy.

Our original external blind was a second hand Millenco, it didn't fit brilliantly but it did the job, however eventually it fell apart, the backing silver foil came off in chunks, it was maybe 10 years old, so we bought another cover at a show for £60. - Bit of a gamble, however it's rubbish, it's thin, doesn't fit well at all, it has elastic cords to tie to the door handles, it's already showing wear and tear around the eyelets. Waste of £60.

I think it's a case of getting what you pay for, - am preparing myself to get a "Taylormade" screen cover for the van, big cost but good quality, should last - There are screens and screens.

Tall_Mike - 2017-07-12 12:25 PM

Thermal screens are great, - we started life without one and endured a soaking wet windscreen on the inside, - in winter the cover avoids this problem and keeps the van warmer, in summer they keep the van cool, and it provides privacy.

Our original external blind was a second hand Millenco, it didn't fit brilliantly but it did the job, however eventually it fell apart, the backing silver foil came off in chunks, it was maybe 10 years old, so we bought another cover at a show for £60. - Bit of a gamble, however it's rubbish, it's thin, doesn't fit well at all, it has elastic cords to tie to the door handles, it's already showing wear and tear around the eyelets. Waste of £60.

I think it's a case of getting what you pay for, - am preparing myself to get a "Taylormade" screen cover for the van, big cost but good quality, should last - There are screens and screens.

We purchased ours from a company called Silver Screens, I ordered and paid for it and two days later it was despatched. Fit is spot on and quality is excellent and compared to other companies I tried their price was very competitive.

I am in no way connected just like to pass on a good product when it's deserved :-D

I too have bought from silver screens excellent service and product, we have used ours to keep van cool on a hot day whilst leaving our dog. (dont start) she was nearly 13 when we had to have her put to sleep last week. :-( She was better treated and cared for than me.

Steve K

They were great when we had a low profile but since having A class vans found them a waste of time. We bought them for the last van and in nearly 3 years of use only used the screens for a couple of nights, find we don't get hardly any condensation due to Hymer's system of having heating outlets along the front of the van between the blind and the screen. The new van has the same system and we opted for the insulated aluminium roller front blind which is even better.

I might shout from a different corner if we went skiing but we don't.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-07-11 2:54 AM
StuartO - 2017-07-10 8:18 AMI don't really understand why Derek thinks external covers are heavy (mine is as light as a feather) nor that fitting to A Class MHs presents special or difficult problems because ours fit very well and is secure in place without any adaptations at all - it fits our B series Hymer like a glove.  They also work extremely well to minimise condensation, even in very cold conditions.

I didn’t say external covers were “heavy”, my Soplair cover weighs about 4kg which, in my book is “far from light” and definitely not “light as a feather”. There’s no “perhaps” about them being bulky when rolled up - they are - and the less expensive versions do not have the pull-down panel capability. Storing a wet cover in the shower area is fine if the motorhome has a separate shower. My Rapido’s shower is integrated into the toilet compartment that would become unusable (or very difficult to use) if a wet cover were bunged into it.

Methinks you are still showing prejudice against them Derek and thinking only of your own MH's lack of external storage.  External covers can be wiped down to remove surface water (using a "windscreen wiper" device while still in place) and you can roll them up wet and still put them in the bag for drying out later, then they go in the garage, or if necessary inside because the bag will be dry.

Their big advantage is the vastly superior insulation and therefore vastly superior performance compared with internal curtains or blinds.  No contest in my view.

We only ever had internal screen covers...and although we fully intended to replace them with an external one (due to the high levels of condensation we would get), our last "proper" van(Chausson Allegro) didn't seem to suffer with anywhere near the same levels as our previous vans..so we never got 'round to getting any...

If someone if setting up on a site for a day or two..and are likely to be fiddling with the likes of levelling wedges, wind-out canopy, Sat' dish etc..then time-wise , a few minutes spent on a screen cover would probably be neither here nor there.

If someone is perhaps "wild-camping"/free-camping and wants to be able to just pull off sharpish, if the need arose, then maybe internal ones..?

pepe63 - 2017-07-13 9:05 AM

If someone is perhaps "wild-camping"/free-camping and wants to be able to just pull off sharpish, if the need arose, then maybe internal ones..?

Takes 2 minutes !

You are holidaying in your motor home, relax, chill, you've got plenty of time. (lol) B-)

/QUOTE]

Methinks you are still showing prejudice against them Derek and thinking only of your own MH's lack of external storage.  External covers can be wiped down to remove surface water (using a "windscreen wiper" device while still in place) and you can roll them up wet and still put them in the bag for drying out later, then they go in the garage, or if necessary inside because the bag will be dry.

Their big advantage is the vastly superior insulation and therefore vastly superior performance compared with internal curtains or blinds.  No contest in my view.

Yeahh one for the externals (lol)

Barcobird - 2017-07-13 11:29 AM

Takes 2 minutes !

You are holidaying in your motor home, relax, chill, you've got plenty of time. (lol) B-)

By " ..sharpish...if the need arose", I meant if someone had found themselves pitched up somewhere less than ideal, and had found themselves getting the attention of the local "yoofs" on their way home from the pub etc...

pepe63 - 2017-07-14 2:38 AMBy " ..sharpish...if the need arose", I meant if someone had found themselves pitched up somewhere less than ideal, and had found themselves getting the attention of the local "yoofs" on their way home from the pub etc...

Send the wife out to shoo them away!

pepe63 - 2017-07-13 11:38 AM

Barcobird - 2017-07-13 11:29 AM

Takes 2 minutes !

By " ..sharpish...if the need arose", I meant if someone had found themselves pitched up somewhere less than ideal, and had found themselves getting the attention of the local "yoofs" on their way home from the pub etc...

Aaah I forgot about "them" :$

Archived