Newbie questions

Guest Rob Plummer

Guest Rob Plummer
Hi all, First post here. Looking to buy a cheap coachbuilt (budget is around £6k maximum). The 'van will be shared between myself, my sister and my mum. I have a young family. Most useage will be for short breaks and week long holidays in UK. However, I will be using it for motor racing as well. My only concern is making sure I have something with enough power to tow OK. I know I'm not going to be breaking any speed limits, but my question is, which would be best (fuel consumption worries aside)? Petrol or diesel? And will the 'vans from the budget I'm talking about have sufficient grunt for my needs? I'm looking at late '80s/early 90's 2.0 litre petrols or 2.5 diesels. The car I'm towing is only small - total weight of race car and trailer is less than a tonne. Any advice appreciated!!! Thanks, Rob

There is absolutely no question about it, is there? A 2.5 Litre diesel will always have loads more torque than a 1.9/2.0 Litre petrol and it's torque you need for towing. Given a choice within your budget, go for turbo diesel if possible. I used to tow a glider trailer regularly behind our 1987 Laika with 2.5 turbo diesel.

Guest Clive
I agree with Mel, Diesel wins every time for torque and also economy. If you are towing then think of the rear wheel drive models based on Ford Transit, Iveco, VW or even Mercedes if you can find one within budget. Merc,s up to about 1997 have a very good reputation for quality although some would say they have slipped a bit of late. The Fiat / Peugeot front wheel drive models do have a reputation for ongoing gearbox problems although there are a lot of them out there. Try before you buy and get a full service history if you can. But with a 6 grand budget you will need a fair amount of luck. Have you thought about getting a second hand panel van and doing a DIY job? Good luck

Guest Rob Plummer
Thanks guys. I was thinking that a non-turbo diesel won't have all that much torque and that a petrol would be better (albeit thirstier). Turbo diesel definitely best, but probably out of reach budget wise. Don't want to go DIY route - I'm no good at it! Also been warned that unless your conversion is a proper one (eg. Hymer, Elddis, Autohomes etc etc), then getting insurance is a nightmare. IS this right? Van-based would be fine for me, but my Mum & sister want a bit more space/comfort. Heck - I'd love a truck with a tail-lift and space in the back for the racing car, with living accommodation up front...........

Guest Rob Plummer
Sorry - just thought of this - is the gearbox problem enough to stop me buying a Talbot/Fiat type? Just thinking - I'll be giving the transmission more hammer than most people due to the towing.

Guest Clive
Given your budget I suggest a Transit based MH is best chance. Merc is nicest but it comes at a price. I believe your comments about "giving the transmission more hammer than most" is a wise observation. If I say any more I will be acused of being biased against Fiat/Peugeot. Have a good look around this forum and also www.motorhomefacts.com and make up your own mind. If you are into racing cars I guessed you would be capable of some ally body bashing?? or GRP repairs?? Hence the comment about DIY. We purchased a 1972 Bedford Duple Vista 29 seater coach that was 13 years old, converted her into a camper. It could just have easilly been a racing car transporter as well. Cost Coach £1500 Conversion bits £1000. Parts came from Beaulieu Boat Jumble and MFI solid pine for furniture. Time from receipt to holiday in France 3 months. I didn,t say it was posh though but it did have all mod cons - boat style. Would a bus suit you?

Guest Rob Plummer
Cheers Clive. I'm getting seriously worried about the transmission on a front wheel drive motorhome. As for the DIY stuff - I'm afraid I'm pretty useless at fabricating things. Taking things apart and putting them back together is no problem, but MAKING things isn't my bag I'm afraid! Wish it was! A bus would suit me perfectly. Living accomodation at the front, covered car transporter at the rear. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be practical for my mum & sister....... Trouble with sticking to rear wheel drive is that it seriously limits your options. For a coach built, really you've only got Ford (& Iveco) and Mercedes. Thanks for your assistance..... ROb

Guest Clive
Don't forget the VW LT35 based motorhomes and its predecessors. LT35 is close to the Merc Sprinter but earlier VW's were I believe pure VW. Alternative'e 1) Get a big van which will accept your racing car and tow a caravan. 2) Get a smaller camper which will tow a trailer with your racing car on top. Oh yes, that,s where we started. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David Powell
Hi Rob, Thought I would mention rear overhang while on the subject of towing. The closer the the back axle is to the tow hitch the more stable the tow, both with the bounding up & down on poor minor roads, and less likley to 'snake'. Forget front wheel drive, it is rear wheel drive for towing. If you think about it, the more wieght downward on your tow ball, the more wieght is lifted off your front wheels, therefore less traction on a front wheel drive. The bigger the overhang the bigger the lift off the front wheels. Moments about a point (schooldays Physics)

Archived