No 5th gear problems so far.

Guest CC Rider

Guest CC Rider
I recently took delivery of a motorhome on a Fiat Ducato base. The gearbox is working perfectly. When can I expect it to start jumping out of fifth gear?

Guest Ray Jenner
Well, probably whilst you are on holiday,at least 1000 miles away from the dealer who sold it to you,and,of course 2 weeks after the warranty expired. Sorry,Just being cynical...I have an old Talbot with a gearbox as smooth as stirring Christmas Pudding Mixture,and steering (not Power assisted) that requires forearms like 'Popeye'. so I am probably not the best person to ask about the Technical expertise of the 'Sevel Design team' OR their quality control,just checkout past forums should give you a more 'Rounded opinion' All the best ! RayJ

Guest Mel Bucknell
Hi CC We've have presently the new style Ducato and had the pre-facelift one as well and didn't have any problems with the gearboxes and 5th gear at all. Just use it sensibly (not below 60mph if possible) and you shouldn't have any problems. MelB

My 'van is a '99 Ducato with 2.5 turbo, purchased new, and I've had no problems at all. After a lot of years driving a low-loader on "abnormally heavy" loads,ie, 50 tons and upwards,I don't feel the need for "Formula One" style gear changes and generally use 5th gear over 50mph. Under 50 and she's not too happy but the 'van is fairly heavy as I tend to carry a lot of breakdown kit and ocassionaly two full sets of scuba diving gear as well. Hope that helps. Martyn.

See the following re the fifth gear problems with Fiat "as long as you go for the face lift model the much talked about Fiat gearbox problems will not bother you.You can expect 21-24 mpg and they are a joy to drive". The problem does not seem to raise its head so often now has it been finally fixed?, or are users more aware that the fifth gear in the Ducato is more akin to an overdrive?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Only time will tell... The latest 'scare'I saw rumoured in a leisure magazine (not MMM) was of a re-emergence of the "broken cam-belt on Fiat 2.8L-engined motorhomes with cab air-con" problem mentioned some years back.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brian
So far so good as far as my 5th gear is concerned st44000kl.I wonder if the problem is caused by waiting until the engine is slogging before changing down to a lower gear?If you drop to 4th and then find you really need 3rd then you may just be coming out of the 5th a little too late !!!!

Archived