No Batteries at all ! ?

dipsticks

I installed 3 new Yuasa L36-EFB batteries in our Transit Mk7 2.4/140 after Christmas and have kept a record of their voltages. The Transit has the Ford auxiliary battery set-up and I doubled up on the auxiliary.

The vehicle has extended periods of being unused recently due to illness so I’m trying to have them not working hard or even at all.

The starter battery I believe is already more or less disconnected when parked and locked up.

It seems the other two (the auxiliaries) are running the central locking (waiting for a signal to do something) the Sigma Alarm, the solar charger and Nasa BM-1, a 7 day timer and solid state relay and I’m guessing the heartbeat of the Canbus and Ford computer stuff.

As a result of diagnosing the records I made, the 2 auxiliary batteries need a charge about once a week and the other battery once a month if that. (Working on Allans suggested minimum 12.5v)

So I have been thinking……..Could I just fit a battery switch to disconnect all three and just apply a charge when I want to use it again ?

I know I will have to put in the radio code but is there anything else on the vehicle that might do damage or simply never work again or need major re-setting ? I would propose locking it then disconnecting with the switch mounted for external access, a bit like they have on racing cars. I’m assuming the key lock on the driver’s door will open mechanically when the electrics are powerless and security from theft is not compromised as another vehicle is parked behind. I know someone might want them both but the likelihood is minimal around here I’m confident.

Any information or comments much appreciated, thanks in advance.

PS I’m hoping Allan at aandncaravan won’t mind me saying, but I’m sure a little encouragement from all and anyone on here by way of PM’s or on here would go down well.

Best wishes Allan, thanks for all your great help and generosity with your knowledge, from Dipsticks.

Clocks, preset radio stations etc. otherwise no big issues with disconnecting as far as I'm aware. Not sure I would bother disconnecting the starter battery though, but if you're not using it for months at a time then maybe. How about just disconnecting the leads? It's not too much trouble if you're only doing it a few times per year.

Thanks Spirou, that's a great idea, though two are under the drivers seat and one under the passenger seat. The seats were heavy when we bought the van in 07 but now at three score and eleven they've got even heavier !

I think the negative/ground for the whole lot is one large cable that connects to the chassis on the outside of the driver's seat box. Do you think un-bolting that would disconnect everything ? Guess I may need to try it but of course there's a large piece of trim covering the bolt that is glued on! It's the whole step/side footwell piece. If disconnecting that would do the job I think I could trim around the fixing with a Dremel to get at it. :'(

Archived