No Food to be Taken to Europe.

Cattwg

Don’t know about other people but I’ve only just realised that after 01/01/2021 we'll be able to take virtually no foodstuff into Europe.

This will be very inconvenient for us as my wife usually prepares a few meals to tide us over the first couple of days in France / or wherever. We would also travel with UHT milk and many other ‘larder’ items, thus obviating the need to find a supermarket for several days – I would guess a similar scenario to many other travellers.

Oh well just another hoop to jump through.

This website explains all:

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animalproducts/personal_imports_en

Cattwg :-D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember going to France on the Poole - Cherbourg route in about 2001-2002 or thereabouts. The French were at that time stopping any meat and dairy products being taken into France from the UK. I cannot remember the reason now but perhaps foot and mouth?

david lloyd - 2020-12-28 7:36 PM

Time, convenience in first few days and cost - been in France 3 months now and have spent double on foodstuffs that would otherwise have done in UK.

All things EU are definitely all rosy.

This comparison calculator is pretty good to compare country costs. Not always totally accurate they're best used as a guide.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=France&country2=United+Kingdom

Re. prices, throughout my years of touring not once did I ever pay the equivalent UK pump price on fuel in any countries I was in. UK fuel is extremely expensive, even Germany it was always cheaper.....even on the Autobahn.

rayc - 2020-12-28 8:20 PM

I remember going to France on the Poole - Cherbourg route in about 2001-2002 or thereabouts. The French were at that time stopping any meat and dairy products being taken into France from the UK. I cannot remember the reason now but perhaps foot and mouth?

Yes that would have been foot and mouth, we toured Canada and regs said no farm visits for brits.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-28 6:23 PM

Les W - 2020-12-28 5:16 PM

I do believe that there are shops in Europe... or take plant based food?

Yep and generally the first country you get to is France. I Cant imagine every wanting to take food to France. Why? Just why? (lol)

I would have thought that - for many people taking a leisure-vehicle to France - the primary reason for carrying food in it when leaving the UK would be convenience (as David mentions above).

On the day we travel to France my wife decants perishable goods from our domestic fridge into our motorhome’s fridge. These goods include milk (possibly a 2-litre container), yoghurt and cheese. There’s no point leaving such things at home and it allows us to have a midday light meal in the ‘van at Portsmouth before embarkation on the ferry and to have tea/coffee/cereal for breakfast the following morning after we’ve overnighted on a car-park or aire. I also take a few bottles of ‘known quality’ wine.

On the day prior to returning to the UK my wife goes into major shopping mode and at least some of the stuff she buys will be dairy/animal products. I would have thought this would be common practice for motorcaravanners returning to the UK.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-29 9:31 AM

I would have thought that - for many people taking a leisure-vehicle to France - the primary reason for carrying food in it when leaving the UK would be convenience (as David mentions above).

On the day we travel to France my wife decants perishable goods from our domestic fridge into our motorhome’s fridge. These goods include milk (possibly a 2-litre container), yoghurt and cheese. There’s no point leaving such things at home and it allows us to have a midday light meal in the ‘van at Portsmouth before embarkation on the ferry and to have tea/coffee/cereal for breakfast the following morning after we’ve overnighted on a car-park or aire. I also take a few bottles of ‘known quality’ wine.

On the day prior to returning to the UK my wife goes into major shopping mode and at least some of the stuff she buys will be dairy/animal products. I would have thought this would be common practice for motorcaravanners returning to the UK.

Our scenario is similar to Derek's. In addition, my wife makes and freezes meals to tide us over the first few evenings.

Some people seem to be assuming that everyone stays in France. More often than not these days we simply transit France en route to other parts of Europe. So we don't want to have to spend too much time shopping at the start of the trip.

Yes, we embrace a county’s history and culture and some European markets are incredible but not all of us are 'foodies' regarding France as food heaven.

Cattwg :-D

Derek raises a good point that I’d not thought of until now. In the same way that tariff and quota free access for some agricultural products is a two way street, the same may be the case for restrictions on the personal importation of animal products. We already know that there will be duty free limits on the personal importation of wine and spirits etc into the UK (a personal blow to us), but what of food? Prior to our return to the UK we inevitably visit a French supermarket and stock up on many of our favourite French food indulgences some of which may be cured meats or sea food. Has anyone caught up with any of the UK legislative restrictions, if any, on that type of importation?

Barryd999 - 2020-12-28 6:23 PM

Les W - 2020-12-28 5:16 PM

I do believe that there are shops in Europe... or take plant based food?

Yep and generally the first country you get to is France. I Cant imagine every wanting to take food to France. Why? Just why? (lol)

Well my post was a bit tongue in cheek hence the smiley. On arrival in France I am too excited about getting stuck into some nice French cheese and wine to worry about what we brought with us! :-D

I guess there will be stuff you can bring in though thats ok. Bread, tins of Tuna maybe, so we wont starve!!!

Its just yet another inconvenience I guess of Brexit (that i never voted for by the way) (lol)

On last winters trip to Spain in December we stocked up at home so that we did not have to go shopping in France or Spain till after we arrived at our destination Benicassim .It saved us a lot of time and as we were a bit later than normal setting off it helped We don't thrash down taking our time not on toll roads etc staying on aires but wanted to get to Benicassim before the Christmas rush. Think not going shopping saved us a day but with this No Food rule it will make things that much harder but we will cope if that's what it takes. Can we bring back French food ?. :-S

colin - 2020-12-28 11:02 PM

rayc - 2020-12-28 8:20 PM

Yes that would have been foot and mouth, we toured Canada and regs said no farm visits for brits.

We crossed to France at that time.

They confiscated a block of cheese from us - and stacked it neatly on the kerb with other confiscated items.

If it was a danger to France I would have expected them to throw it all in a bin.

I wonder what happened to it ?? ;-)

We don't generally eat French rubbish so will continue doing what we have done since 1960 in Caravans and Motorhomes.

However we have actually stayed in France on occasions over the past few years and generally find it really pleasant in many places...the country not the food! 8-) B-)

EJB - 2020-12-29 12:54 PM

We don't generally eat French rubbish...

... find it really pleasant in many places...the country not the food! 8-) B-)

I'm not a fan of French food but calling it rubbish is an offense to good taste.

In short, certainly better than the inevitable fish&chips served in the UK.

Not ot mention the inedible Cornish pasty or Haggis.

Anyway, if you want to eat really well, forget about France and come to Italy.

Everywhere superb food, Mediterranean diet and better wine than the named French one.

I forgot, here obesity is practically non-existent.

There will be a reason.

Alps, Dolomites, glaciers, passes at almost three thousand meters, volcanoes, eight thousand kilometers of coastline, beaches, cliffs, the Elba or the Gargano, the wonderful Sardinia, Sicily and its smaller islands.

History, architecture, archeology. Etcetera, etcetera.

Max

Agreed...a bit!

We don't go to Spain and Southern Italy. or France until recently, but most other European countries and north have been on our menu.....heat and brown vistas don't suit.

We are TT.

Don't do 'fast food'...but what's wrong with good Fish and Chips once every few weeks.

Generally eat normal English food cooked as required where ever we are.

Even the long standing Norwegian meat allowance can be stretched!

I suppose that from now on the French customs operators will renew their once quite unpleasant anti UK attitude.

Thank goodness we can still smile! >:-) (lol) (lol)

I didn't realise that most people here lived on Fish and Chips and Cornish Pasties. *-) (lol)

Thank goodness we are all different!

PS.I think we have been over most of the Western European mountains at one time or another.

mtravel - 2020-12-29 2:47 PM

I'm not a fan of French food but calling it rubbish is an offense to good taste.

Everywhere superb food, Mediterranean diet and better wine than the named French one.

There will be a reason.

Alps, Dolomites, glaciers, passes at almost three thousand meters, volcanoes, eight thousand kilometers of coastline, beaches, cliffs, the Elba or the Gargano, the wonderful Sardinia, Sicily and its smaller islands.

Max

I almost agree with all of that Max. The only thing you left out is the Cheese! (lol) Nowhere beats French Cheese IMO. Otherwise Italy has a lot to offer, especially the north, Lakes and Alps.

French Aires are generally better than the Sostas in Northern Italy though. That said I have found some good ones in the Italian Alps. I guess my favourite countries taking into account food, scenery and the best places to motorhome would be France and Italy.

Before going anywhere in the van we load up to keep us going until such time as we might want to shop. I see nothing in the regs that will have any significant impact on that. There is no ban on taking the food, just certain limits.

I do remember 40 years ago bringing back a good quantity of sausages, at the time that was forbidden.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-29 4:30 PM

...Nowhere beats French Cheese IMO.

French Aires are generally better than the Sostas in Northern Italy though.

French cheese ?

Ugh.

Everyone perhaps knows just Parmesan but Italy has hundreds types of cheese.

For example, there are different types of Parmesan according to the region of origin and processing.

We have cheese from fresh to creamy to seasoned and even smoked.

Other from goat or sheep milk.

Shred on some food the latter is sometime better than Parmesan.

There are even a few that are perfect to be grilled and I guarantee they are delicious.

Without mentioning the buffalo mozzarella, stop in Capua or Battipaglia in the morning and buy the ones processed during the night. I guarantee you will never have eaten something so great.

The French have yet to learn from us.

As for the rest areas and stopovers, I partially agree.

For example, the Dolomites area has many and very well organized.

You have to know them and usual internet sites are not always enough.

Max

p.s. Norway. If you like whale steaks or reindeer salami ....

But they have great salmon (watch out for listeriosis) and great giant crabs, the so called King Crabs.

mtravel - 2020-12-29 2:47 PM

There will be a reason.

Max

It's worth mentioning our top Chefs such as James Martin and Gordon Ramsay, trained in France and of course we have some Italian chefs, Gino D'Acampo and Gennaro Contaldo regularly appear on tv. Ramsay is possibly the best known as I think his tv programmes are shown in other countries.

Fish 'n Chip shops.....there are some good, some bad, and some excellent ones but you have to shop around to find the right one. My local 'chippy' is excellent serving decent portions and good quality fish. Not cheap, but you don't mind paying knowing you're getting a quality meal.

Archived