No windbreaker allowed?

Cattwg

A couple of weeks ago we stayed four days at Riverside Caravan Park, Stratford-upon-Avon. The site is large, generally flat and with good facilities, no complaints there. However, we had a strange restriction imposed. We were not permitted to put up a windbreaker. We, of course asked why but the staff members we spoke to could not give a reason. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same restriction enforced and/or can offer an explanation?

Cattwg :-D

It is many years since we used a site but as I recall some inconsiderate folks liked to use several windbreaks to create their own tennis court sized compound, or link two caravan pitches together, mainly to allow unruly kids and yappy dogs to run riot specifically to annoy peace and quiet lovers.

Or have campers and caravanners become better behaved and more considerate these days?

Tracker - 2021-07-15 5:15 PM

It is many years since we used a site but as I recall some inconsiderate folks liked to use several windbreaks to create their own tennis court sized compound, or link two caravan pitches together, mainly to allow unruly kids and yappy dogs to run riot specifically to annoy peace and quiet lovers.

Or have campers and caravanners become better behaved and more considerate these days?

Joyce and I remember seeing a similar expansive construction, many years ago at Kielder village, that enclosed 3 or 4 pitches and which was complete with yappy dogs. We have often wondered whether the occupants were charged on an acreage basis?

Alan

I was on a site a few days ago and the warden said they were having problems with windbreaks being put up between vans so that there was no longer the 6mtr fire break between them so he had banned them. Again it's the few spoiling it for the rest of us.

• 3 weeks later...

I was recently on a none awning pitch at CAMC site in Yorkshire, and out out my rollout awning within the confines of the Hard standing. The warden appeared and confronted a few of us People with wind breaks up and pegged down on the grass. where told to remove the pegs from the grass. I was also told to remove the tie down pegs from the grass area as this was afire hazard . I was also told that all rollout Awnings and canopies must be taken in at night or when off site. I questioned this with the warden and the reply was . Because the regional manger had told him to do it.

I asked to be shown the ruling in the members hand book Rule 6c but he just shrugged is shoulders and moved onto the next pitch

I made an official complaint . An have had a reply. yes it is correct must be a typo in rule book.

I have also heard from others where sites are clamping down on windbreaks due to fire regs

Tracker - 2021-07-15 5:15 PM

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there; it’s not setting up one windbreak as a windbreak that’s the problem but people who build themselves an enclosure using several of them, or even bigger enclosures for several pitches.

Hans - 2021-08-07 9:21 PM

Just Ridiculous. How large was your windbreaker ?

If you are referring to the posting by ‘ham’, I beleve he did not erect a windbreak and was just asked to unpeg and remove the tie-down cords attached to his motorhome’s roll-out awning.

The two images below show examples of the type of windbreak construction that might cause problems on campsites with defined-size marked pitches. On (say) a rally where motorhomes are parked on an open field with no designated pitches, a ’no windbreaks’ rule is less likely to be imposed.

windbreak.jpg.e7749c217acc03e5fe69b9836c5dfa30.jpg

windbreak2.jpg.594eac8c21410d8b7b25daffbde0a9a2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I cannot see a problem with windbreaks making an enclosure providing you stay within your pitch limits. For those who have pets, it stops them from being over stimulated by all the comings and going’s. For those who have younger children/toddlers, it’s sets a defined boundary for them.

I understood the 6 Mtr rule to be between vehicles not windbreaks/canopies, but I suppose each site can interpret the rule how they see it.

Archived