Noise killers

Geoff Bell

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-08-02 11:45 PM may be the post don't know has happened before. Pay yearly but have had to phone a few times and ask for it . Maybe because Just a member..... OH there I go again naughty girl[/QUOTE] Michele, August's MMM has been available since the Lincoln Show, we were reading it there. Do you think Warners are trying to tell something (?) *-) *-) *-) Maybe they think you will get fed up and go and haunt 8-) PM >:-) Just a thought. Don

Guest starspirit
Much noise reduction can be achieved at minimal cost by firstly having a paranoid anti rattle campaign followed by fitting some thick carpet all over the habitation floor and in the lockers paying particular attention the very flimsy areas around the wheel arches to which thick carpet or felt is best glued. Newer vans have this 'modern' trend towards vinyl floors which they advertise as easy clean. It might be but is sure as heck is cold to the tootsies. I grew up with lino on the floors and I still dislike it! It may also be cheaper than decent carpet but carpet insulates both warmth and sound and is much nicer to walk on (in my view) as well as being no harder to keep clean even with a muddy dog as long as you use a door mat and some old towels. Under the bonnet you might well be able to remove any thin fitted under bonnet insulation and fit proofed felt (Halfords or similar or online) and then replace the original. Glueing it to the metal also adds to the sound deadening properties as it is then in direct contact. If it is not already try extending the exhaust out from under the bodywork but beware that this can lower the exhaust making it more vulnerable on rough ground and could even affect the engine performance if it is too long.

We fitted the kit, including lead engine blanket, to our Sevel based vehicle and it made a noticable difference. Downsides are I can now hear the radio clearly at 65mph and worse my otherhalf nagging!!! So think hard before doing it.

Excellent!! No she is not Sybil fortunately she is really rather forgiving (hope she doesn't read this or my last post though)!! Just jesting!! Geoff I believe you will definately notice a difference, I was amazed that some of the small pieces made such a difference to the resonated noise, it is so much less fatiguing on a long journey. You do notice a lot of other noises though, like from the habitation part of the vehicle, we have had to insulate all the china crockery from each other and pots and pans etc..

[QUOTE]Geoff Bell - 2006-08-04 10:43 PM Careful Basil, Starspirit doesn't miss a trick. I've received my kit and fitted it and although I,ve not been out on the road yet it certainly sounds quieter in the cab. The big test will come on my next trip in a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE] Where are you going anywhere nice ?

I think that we have all become acustomed to very quiet vehicles that have been achieved by better engines and mechanicals and improved insulation to stop the noise from getting into the people carrying areas. However the commercial vehicle 'white van man' has never been bothered about until recently where competition has forced the manufacturers to improve the general driving experience making the modern van to more car like standards. So most older vehicles can be improved by installing more up to date and better insulation.

Guest starspirit
Does Michelllle have the only quiet van ever made - or is she a bit deaf? Pardon? As stated earlier - an anti rattle campaign is well worth the effort even before soundproofing. I personally do not get a good feeling about laying a lead lined blanket, or anything else not glued to metal, over my engine. Modern engines run very hot and the designers designed it to have an under bonnet airflow which any form of cover might well disrupt - particularly so on long hot hauls South? Remember (if you are old enough?) when our Dads used to put a blanket over the car engine in winter (well my Dad did!) and I remember the old Ford 8 boiling over when he forgot to remove it before driving off!

For interest, our lead blanket that was supplied with the kit has been fitted for over three years now with no ill effects including very hot temperatures in France, 40C plus this year for instance, and southern Europe. I was concerned initially but the temp gauge still reads in its usual position. The 'blanket' is not loose laid by the way it is secured, its own weight would be sufficient for it not move however. Also it is not a tight fit to the top of the engine and there is a gap beneath for air to flow. It is its position as a barrier between the top and rear of the engine and the bulkhead that seems to absorb the noises, it is definately worse if you remove it. The only possible down side that I thought about after is the amount it must remove from your load margin as it is very heavy for its size!!

Underseal can make a big difference to the noise if put in obvious places. ie. Underside of the bonnet, the engine bulkhead, take off the cab door linings and cover the inside of the door pannels, on a rear wheel drive the prop shaft, under the front wings, etc. etc.

Guest starspirit
I agree underseal is quite effective but you do need several coats to build up a good layer but it does help. On the plus is is cheap and on the minus it is messy!

Fitted a kit to a A/S nuevo 06 plate did not make a lot of difference and the engine blanket would not fit between the engine and bulkhead. I reckon that these kits were ok on older vehicles but anything built in the last couple of years are better equipped sound proofing wise. Pete

Guest starspirit
I agree Pete, also modern common rail diesels are much quieter than the agricultural diesels of only a few years ago. Most motor caravan noise is tyre noise, wind noise (never trust an old fart) and rattles. I've never ridden in the back because, in spite of my split personality, I have to drive the darned thing but I do understand from my navigating (thats a laugh!) officer that road noise is much worse in the back. So I would work on sound insulation with carpet and felt in the caravan part and a massive anti rattle campaign before spending any serious money on fancy kit. This will test your ingenuity and skin your knuckles but is well worth the effort.

Archived