Noisy Fiamma Aqua 8 water pump

ian bell

My Fiamma Aqua 8 water pump is very noisy, a loud vibrating sound. I've removed it from the van. Still noisy. Separated the motor from the pump, motor quiet, pump noisy. The inner workings of the pump seem ok, although the eccentric bush appears to be worn Fiamma dealer can sell me a diaphragm kit with bush (£37) or a pump upgrade (£67). Any advice?

Just had a saga with my Aqua 8 pump, it ran slow and ran on longer than normal when tap turned off, so I bought a new one but it was more powerful than the 6 litre per min I had originally [ the 6 litre per minute pump is hard to obtain , and is more expensive than the 7 ,8, and 10 litre ones ?] the new one is 7 litres per min, only an extra litre per min so I thought it would be OK , NO in use the pump running scrambled my main control panel and it [ the control panel ]shut down, so I removed the new pump , dismantled the old one and found the Diaphragms to be iffy, bought a new set from Fiamma via Southdowns dealership,Hampshire, great service from them , cost me £17 in total, fitted the new diaphragms and refitted the ORIGINAL pump .OH OH the pump would now not stop running so I thought the pressure switch is dodgy , [ I have no micro switches in my water system ] only the one pressure switch, I did not know where the pressure switch was situated but I went on to U TUBE and hey ho the pressure switch is part of the pump, I never knew that till now. So I removed the pressure switch from my new pump and fitted it to the old pump, refitted it to my van and hey ho it is working well and I have given it a good test,, So I will buy a new pressure switch from Fiamma, as they are widely available and refit it to the new pump. The new pump is no good to me as a spare as it appears to be too powerful for my control panel ??? as stated , batteries are at full charge so I guess the pump draws too much power when operating it is 1.5 bar -- 1,4 amps same as my old pump so I guess the extra 1 litre per minute lift is the cause , who knows, all is well again so I will leave it alone from here on in and hope all stays OK ,

Good thing about these pumps is that a great diagram is on line with all the parts shown and also the part nos too, just click on the part and it gives you a price too, well done Fiamma.

ian bell - 2020-08-13 5:30 PM

My Fiamma Aqua 8 water pump is very noisy, a loud vibrating sound. I've removed it from the van. Still noisy. Separated the motor from the pump, motor quiet, pump noisy. The inner workings of the pump seem ok, although the eccentric bush appears to be worn Fiamma dealer can sell me a diaphragm kit with bush (£37) or a pump upgrade (£67). Any advice?

Have a look on U TUBE, great videos there that may help you with this , .£67 for a pump upgrade seems a great price , is it part Ex or is it a refurbished pump? it seems too cheap to be a new pump ?

ian bell - 2020-08-13 5:30 PM

In view of the advertised prices for diaphragm or ‘upgrade’ kits for a Fiamma Aqua 8 pump, you might be much better replacing your pump with a SHURflo “Trail King” equivalent.

The SHURflo pumps are (nowadays) made in Mexico and have a good reputation (at least as good as the Fiamma pump). Like the Aqua 8, the Trail King pumps are marketed with different pressures and flow-rates, with a Trail King 7 (7 litres-per-minute) 20psi version probably the most common in motorhomes. It should be possible to on-line purchase a brand-new Trail King 7 20psi pump + the necessary filter for less than £60 (example advert here.)

https://tinyurl.com/y5n8xmnv

It perhaps needs to be said that no diaphragm pump (be it a Fiamma or SHURflo product) will be as quiet as a submersible water-pump submerged deeply in a motorhome’s fresh-water tank, and that the level of noise a diaphragm pump in perfect working order will produce will depend on its installation. For instance, my Rapido’s SHURflo Trail King 7 is mounted on the top surface of a 120litre plastic fresh-water tank located under the motorhome’s rear bed and, as the water in the tank reduces the more the tank acts like a drum and the higher the noise level when the pump runs.

Obviously - in your case - refurbishing your current pump or replacing it on a like-for-like basis ought to be the simplest approach, and it would certainly be necessary to carry out some work to install a SHURflo pump instead. But with a brand-new Trail King 7 costing less than £60, spending £37 on a diaphragm kit (with past comments on forums warning that this ‘cheapo’ approach is risky) or £67 on a replacement ‘head unit’ (with the rest of the old Fiamma pump being unaffected) I know what I’d do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived