Northern Ireland Registration on motorhome I'm buying

trialsrider

Hi there. I'm about to buy a motorhome from a UK dealer. I thought the registration was a personal plate but I've just heard back from the DVLA that this might be a northern Ireland registration. This would make sense as it would explain why there was no MOT history until the vehicle was four years old. The registration is FFZ ****. All the * are numbers.

Oddly I paid for a check with 'car analytics' who did hpi , plate checks etc and they said it had never been registered in northern Ireland.

What I want to know is what implications are there if I buy this vehicle if it has been registered in northern Ireland. Why is it such an issue? Should the dealer have informed me of this? Will it effect resale or insurance?

Your opinions would be appreciated as I'm supposed to be picking up the vehicle tomorrow.

Hi, As I live in N. Ireland the FFZ is a local registration. I would go into the DVLA NI website and check that the vehicle was registered. When you look at the V5 form it should tell you who originally purchased the van. Before buying I would want to check its not stolen and being passed off as a N I. van.

My own van is TFZ reg. so I would guess this van to be around a 2007/8 model.

Ninian - 2019-08-08 11:19 AM

Hi, As I live in N. Ireland the FFZ is a local registration. I would go into the DVLA NI website and check that the vehicle was registered. When you look at the V5 form it should tell you who originally purchased the van. Before buying I would want to check its not stolen and being passed off as a N I. van.

My own van is TFZ reg. so I would guess this van to be around a 2007/8 model.

Can't find that info on the DVLA NI site. Could you post a link showing where to check please. Thanks

Hi, I'm guessing the year, as the Reg goes F, G. H, I etc with the exception of O & Q so if two alternate letters were used in the year that was my estimate. If three were used in the year then my guess would be out.

Go into www.nidirect.gov.uk to the vehicle TAX & Registration part type the REG. and it will display the year.

You can also check if the the van is taxed and mot'd.

Ninian - 2019-08-08 11:42 AM

Hi, I'm guessing the year, as the Reg goes F, G. H, I etc with the exception of O & Q so if two alternate letters were used in the year that was my estimate. If three were used in the year then my guess would be out.

Go into www.nidirect.gov.uk to the vehicle TAX & Registration part type the REG. and it will display the year.

You can also check if the the van is taxed and mot'd.

I can't seem to do it. It takes me. To the DVLA UK site when I try and do it. Could you post the link please

Gareth,

If its any help our Skoda Fabia has the registration OFZ xxxx. It was first registered on 29/05/13. It was purchased from a Skoda dealer in January 2016, and reregistered in my name on 01/02/16. No problems.

Alan

Could it be jealousy from those who have paid large fees for personalised number plates to disguise the age of the vehicle? For some reason the Skoda dealer from whom we bought our Fabia, wanted to have the registration number changed to the convential pattern. We were quite happy that the DVLA did not agree to the request.

Alan

I don't have a personal number plate to "disguise the age" of my vehicle.

It's a stand out number to be noticed that I bought since a friend had their car "cloned" and she saw the identical model car to hers, with the same number plate. The police or the DVLA weren't interested. So presumably the other car wasn't taxed, MOT'd or insured and any fines would come her way.

By having a noticeable registration I assume they wouldn't do this.

.....and it spells my wife's name, which I bought on our silver wedding anniversary!

An “FFZ” Northern Ireland registration number would have been ‘new’ in 2011 and relates to Belfast.

https://www.speedyreg.co.uk/blogs/2011/02/ffz-irish-registrations-are-out/

The HPI terms and conditions

https://hpicheck.com/legal/termsAndConditions.html

mention Northern Ireland and on-line comments suggest that an HPI check of a Northern Ireland-registered vehicle won’t return a valid result.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-08-09 8:17 AM

An “FFZ” Northern Ireland registration number would have been ‘new’ in 2011 and relates to Belfast.

https://www.speedyreg.co.uk/blogs/2011/02/ffz-irish-registrations-are-out/

The HPI terms and conditions

https://hpicheck.com/legal/termsAndConditions.html

mention Northern Ireland and on-line comments suggest that an HPI check of a Northern Ireland-registered vehicle won’t return a valid result.

Thanks for the info

I don't see there being any problems with a N Ireland registration. Many people on mainland UK buy them because they can spell names like CAZ, KAZ, GIL and many more. I would like GIG because I play in a band. :)

I bought my current van new in England and got it re-registered to a N Ireland registration at 1 year old when paying the second year tax.

I'll be doing the same on a new van I'm buying in England next month.

Archived