Northern lights?

weldted

Subject to it being safe and permitted to do so, we were thinking of travelling up to Scotland to try and see them. We have been in touch with a campsite in Caithness which is open all year so will not be wild camping. Our van is fully winterised and will have plenty of lpg. As in two 13 kg bottles and a 25 litre tank as it might be a bit colder than where we are in France at the moment 37c

Thank goodness for the roof air-con. Just wondered if anyone has done similar. Obviously we will not go if it is against advice but really just at the moment to know if anyone has done similar.

Thais a good idea I hadn’t considered. I would be interested in the campsite details.

We have taken our van to the alps in winter several times. I use electric hookup to mitigate gas usage cos heating is left on 24hrs a day.

Re northern lights, need to check where we are in the 11 year sun cycle to maximise chances of seeing the lights.

Peter

To be honest, you don’t really need to travel that far north. There has been a wonderful show visible here on Skye last winter. All you need is an uninterrupted view facing North, and good luck.

It’s a big sky.

Our friends went to a campsite near Thurso in January 2019 and stayed there 4 weeks before travelling south slowly with every app, website, amateur astronomers phone numbers they could get and were away for 8 weeks and saw nothing.

Now I am Scottish and lived there for 59 years before emigrating to Lancashire and I have never seen the Lights in Scotland.

We tried to convince our friends that if the Lights were visible on a regular visit hotels would be advertising it and offering tours but they wouldn't listen. They are even talking about going back next winter.

Me? I went to Norway & Sweden and had a great time viewing the Lights. But he is a tight Lancastrian

John

As said above, unless you're lucky with your timing, you might spend weeks looking at the night sky and see nothing (but stars, or clouds). Don't think going to Scandinavia or somewhere else in the north will solve anything, it's not something that turns on every night as the sun goes down.

Archived