You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Northern lights?
AuthorMessage
userweldted
Posted: 27 July 2020 4:57 PM
Subject: Northern lights?

Pillar of the forums

Subject to it being safe and permitted to do so, we were thinking of travelling up to Scotland to try and see them. We have been in touch with a campsite in Caithness which is open all year so will not be wild camping. Our van is fully winterised and will have plenty of lpg. As in two 13 kg bottles and a 25 litre tank as it might be a bit colder than where we are in France at the moment 37c
Thank goodness for the roof air-con. Just wondered if anyone has done similar. Obviously we will not go if it is against advice but really just at the moment to know if anyone has done similar.

userpeterjl
Posted: 28 July 2020 9:05 AM
Subject: RE: Northern lights?

Pillar of the forums

Thais a good idea I hadn’t considered. I would be interested in the campsite details.

We have taken our van to the alps in winter several times. I use electric hookup to mitigate gas usage cos heating is left on 24hrs a day.

Re northern lights, need to check where we are in the 11 year sun cycle to maximise chances of seeing the lights.

Peter
userlancepar
Posted: 28 July 2020 9:57 AM

Gets involved

Just one thing, avoid filling your LPG (GPL) while in France as in their Summer you may get a mix of Propane and Butane. Happened to us one Snowy weeked in March on the Long Mynd, gas fire wouldn't stay alight.... Brrrr.
userstevec176
Posted: 28 July 2020 11:18 AM

A posting machine

Did the NC500 a couple of years ago and there was no LPG north of Inverness so make sure you are full before proceeding.
userweldted
Posted: 28 July 2020 1:03 PM

Pillar of the forums

https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/campsites-in-scotland/highlands/wick/ferry-view-night-stop.

Here is the link to the site I found open all year, closest to John O’groats.
userlancepar
Posted: 28 July 2020 3:08 PM

Gets involved

Ted,

To get your link to work I had to remove the Dot after stop.

Might be just me that had the issue though.

https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/campsites-in-scotland/highlands/wick/ferry-view-night-stop

Lance

B-)

Edited by lancepar 2020-07-28 3:10 PM
userblaven
Posted: 28 July 2020 5:32 PM

Gets involved

To be honest, you don’t really need to travel that far north. There has been a wonderful show visible here on Skye last winter. All you need is an uninterrupted view facing North, and good luck.
It’s a big sky.
userbounty hunter
Posted: 28 July 2020 8:06 PM

Gets involved

Our friends went to a campsite near Thurso in January 2019 and stayed there 4 weeks before travelling south slowly with every app, website, amateur astronomers phone numbers they could get and were away for 8 weeks and saw nothing.
Now I am Scottish and lived there for 59 years before emigrating to Lancashire and I have never seen the Lights in Scotland.
We tried to convince our friends that if the Lights were visible on a regular visit hotels would be advertising it and offering tours but they wouldn't listen. They are even talking about going back next winter.
Me? I went to Norway & Sweden and had a great time viewing the Lights. But he is a tight Lancastrian

John
userspirou
Posted: 28 July 2020 8:32 PM

Lives on the forums

As said above, unless you're lucky with your timing, you might spend weeks looking at the night sky and see nothing (but stars, or clouds). Don't think going to Scandinavia or somewhere else in the north will solve anything, it's not something that turns on every night as the sun goes down.
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator