Norway’s 18 section road route: comments?

snowie

In 2014 we took a short trip to Norway, as far as Lillehammer and a little further to look at some scenery.

We enjoyed it, but the Norwegians were doing a lot of work on what I now know was an 18 section scenic road system.

I vowed not to go back until it was completed. It looks as though it may now be finished. So I’m thinking the time could be right to return.

Does anyone have recent experience of driving this route: some or all?

What’s it like? Looks pretty spectacular on the rather slow website I’ve come across

Regards

Snowie

I seem to remember some roadworks 4 years ago from Oslo to Lillehammer but nothing notable or extraordinary. Went from there to Lom and Bergen via Jotunheimen NP, no issues.

2 years ago did a variation of Oslo to Bergen via Hemsedal in winter and it was a much more interesting route (profile pic is from Hemsedal). Possibly because it was winter but still. As far as I'm concerned the first route doesn't get interesting until past Lillehammer. Jotunheimen has plenty of spectacular scenery, and kayaking on Sjoa is quite nice, but I'd also consider alternatives.

witzend - 2018-08-29 9:53 AM

Lot of it will remove the views

From what I can see, the 18 Tourist routes are not due to be finished before 2023,! Which is maybe later than I was thinking.

Also, most of the spending seems to be on the 12 routes south of Bergen, and I was hoping to get as far as Lofoten? But maybe that’s too far.

I think my experiences on our trip in 2014 ( on Friday June 13th) have put me off Norwegian roads.

Looking at the U-tube video above, I have to wonder what the Norwegians are up to, I rather like ferries, and certainly prefer them to tunnels!

Next step is to find some campsites

Regards

Snowie

Nobody stopping you from using old roads. I found them very nice summer or winter. Just a few sidetrips required chains to make it over the hill but those were local roads leading to nowhere but skiing terrain.

Lofoten are a loooooong way from Oslo so it depends how much time you have. I did them from northern Finland/Sweden, but on two other trips limited myself to the south. Plenty to see and lots of driving in 2 weeks.

We're currently at a fab stellplats in Bua on the west coast of Sweden between Malmö and Gothenburg. Next week we'll be crossing Norway from Oslo to one of the two ACSI sites on Oldevatnet, near Olden.

The route TomTom is taking me has one ferry (Fodnes to Mannheller).

I'll report back.

The Travemunde to Malmö ferry was brilliant and stunning value (less than £100 with two all you can eat buffet meals for two, wifi for two devices and electric hook up).

Going under 'The Bridge' was amazing!!

spirou - 2018-08-29 4:37 PM

Nobody stopping you from using old roads.

Lofoten are a loooooong way

That’s very true Spirou, and From what I understand, the tourist routes are old roads, with some tidying up and “attractions”.

I’m attracted to the area above Bergen so maybe we’ll see a bit more of Sweden, above Stockholm and cross over into Norway..

We’ll see how next year pans out

Snowie

Archived